Seriously... Thats It???

tirian

Refurbs will happen as scheduled and at least one new attraction for MK will begin construction in preparation for the 40th.
That 2011-2012 date is for attractions being open/refurbs being finished, not when they will start.

Ah, you beat me to it.

Conrad3000

What did you expect? There's not much to announce since everyone on here knows everything that is going to be built at Disney for the next two years anyways. Everybody's gotta have an ad campain. There's no crime here.

culturenthrills

I think the more interesting announcement that came out today according to mouseplanet.com is that starting in November SoCal DL passholders will be able to pay for their AP's over 12 months. I wonder if we will be getting that over here at WDW. It would make it alot easier for FL residents to get AP's if they did this. Universal and the Busch parks offer this. Mine and my wifes Universal and SW/BGT passes are paid for this way. We haven't been able to renew her WDW pass cause we simply don't have the $360 to drop right now on a pass but we could do it if it was spread out over 12 months. I guess we will see.

ewensell3

AP holders or those with MYW tickets can still a $75 gift card on the birthday. I'll take it.

Q: I am a Passholder (or have a valid Multi-Day Ticket or a Seasonal Pass that I will use for admission on my birthday in 2009), so I don't need to take advantage of this offer. If I register, is there anything else I could receive on my birthday?

A: Yes, you have several options which are available for you to select once you arrive at the Park with your confirmation message and your proper ID. You can receive:

• A birthday fun card in an amount equal to the price of a 1-day Magic Your Way base ticket* for you to use on your birthday for merchandise, recreation or fun activities at select participating locations at Walt Disney World® Resort; or
  • A special birthday FASTPASS® badge+ for certain attractions at the Theme Park you visit on your birthday; or
  • A 1-day Magic Your Way base ticket for you to use any time until your next birthday. (does anyone know if this ticket is bound to your ID??)
*Ticket price at gate, excluding tax. Adults receive card in the amount of an adult ticket; children (ages 3-9) receive card in the amount of a child ticket. For terms and conditions of the card and details on participating locations, click here.

PintoColvig

Adults receive card in the amount of an adult ticket; children (ages 3-9) receive card in the amount of a child ticket.
I'm curious to know. How will guests prove the ages of their children? Will there be parents of 2 1/2 years old kids be able to declare their kids to be old enough for the fun card? Likewise, will parents of 9 year old be able to declare their kid to be 10? Surely, a birth certificate must be shown or there will be some funny business going on.

MousDad

I'm curious to know. How will guests prove the ages of their children? Will there be parents of 2 1/2 years old kids be able to declare their kids to be old enough for the fun card? Likewise, will parents of 9 year old be able to declare their kid to be 10? Surely, a birth certificate must be shown or there will be some funny business going on.

It says on the website you have to bring a driver's license or birth certificate.

bjlc57

But Lee, even you have to admit ...

Lee, even you have to admit that this is less then a stellar announcement.

lets see, my Birthday is in January after the first, the wife's next week, one kid in February and the other in June.. basically only one of them during a vacation period.

at least in a year of a million dreams , anyone had a chance to get something.. now, unless you are scheduling your trip around ONE DAY OF THE YEAR, you get nothing..

so basically there is no reason to say, "we HAVE to go to Disney this year"..

none whatsoever

this is like the anti announcement

and little or no consideration for those,because of gas prices, who may or may not be able to make a trip..

basically the announcement said, hey we are open if you can get here.. if not who cares..

t3techcom18

Hey guys!

Sorry bout the anger from yesterday folks, but it turns out I just needed to vent. I had a rough day yesterday, and I accidentally spilled it on here. No hard feelings I hope :wave:

The main reason of why I just absolutely caught offguard/angered by this, is the fact that they did sooo much hoopla, for one tiny thing that could've been done in a regular press announcement. It made all of us theorize what was to come, especially with the rumors of the 40th coming along, lots of folks, including me, thought something bigger was going to come along. I just thought it was ridiculous that they did something real huge and, instead, brought out something small that could've been done in a press release.

Looking at some of the statements that have been made, now I concur with a lot of you - this feels like Magical Gatherings, an 'interim celebration' of sorts, a holdover til the Big One of the 40th rolls along. Only thing is, to differentiate the two, why not have more privlidges? Why not some new, one-of-a-kind stuff for recent newlyweds? Why not some new stuff for just little kids? Why not new stuff for those with anniversaries, reunions, etc? My point is: Why just b-days???

It literally sounds like a word for word replica of MG, with the added bonus of having the free ticket on your b-day. Like I said, it's a good idea, but I don't think it's going to the intended result. As someone else said, yes, this might be their solution to the economic crisis; problem is, looking at realisitically, it might be more of an issue than an actual good thing. Sure, you gain a ticket if it's your birthday; but as a One Day, One Park pass??? Well, if you put that into account with the rest of your expenses, it wouldn't make any sense. You only cut back one day of expenses, and is pretty much forced to stay to that one park for the whole day unless you decide/forced to buy a Park Hopper, gaining more money in return for your free ticket. Don't get me wrong, I still say it's a nice idea, but I say it might falter fatally in execution, especially when the complaints roll in, saying that they go up, get their free ticket, and don't realize until they get into another park or once they're in the park that it's a One Day, One Park pass when they have ADR's or planned to go somewhere else later. That could stir up a crock pot of hostilities and anger, meaning much more pain than ease to all parties involved.

Same time, like others have mentioned, some people don't have the liberty or time to take the day off just to go to WDW for their b-day. In FL and most places, that just doesn't happen, through one reason or another, and especially now in these hard economic times. If my own Dad, (who's a CM) can't be off on his b-day/holidays lots of times...well, that says something right there.

WildLodgeFan

My point is: Why just b-days???

Because everyone has birthdays and it's easier to verify (i.e. DL or BC vs. diploma, marriage certificate, etc.).

In truth, you have to understand upfront, Disney KNOWS that not everyone can benefit from this promotion. During strategic planning, they crunch data to determine a rate of acceptance of the promotion, then they start crunching data to look at a variety of scenarios (ie. number of days for a trip, additional guests, etc.), to determine the ROI (return of investment) of the promotion.

As for the hoopla, think about the number of threads and replies discussed on this board about the announcment - PUBLICITY. People are talking about Disney (some upset, some excited, doesn't really matter).

By inviting the news and travel industry folks, they start a buzz. TV and print advertising can be very expensive, especially at the level Disney is at. I know that I have placed full page; full color magazine ads that have cost in the upwards of $10 - $15K. Hosting a press event like this can be more cost effective, because all these people will go back and write/talk about the promotion and they paid for a $100 p/head for a meal and gift bags for 100 - 200 people (just random numbers there).

It's marketing and Disney does it well. At the end of the day they are a business making money and introduce a variety of ways to earn it. As fanatics, sometimes it can be hard for us to accept that they just don't create everything just for us. :D

tnemgif

If $75 dollars is the difference between being able to take a Disney vacation or not, your financial priorities are askew. I can't understand spending thousands of dollars for a vacation and having $75 make or break your bank. If that is the case, put off the vacation for a while until you can REALLY afford to go. A vacation is not worth putting your family in financial distress. Disney will still be there next year and the year after that....
I just feel that many families, who opporate on smaller budgets (unlike most of the visitors to this site) could really be able to utilize that money. By staying/eating offsite for 4 days, $75 can be a pretty large portion of a vactation.

STGRhost

I can't believe how many people are still disappointed at Disney giving away free things. Again. For YoaMD, they gave away prizes randomly - not everyone won something. This year, you have to be in the parks on the right day - again, not everyone wins something. Just like the last two years, a large part of "winning" something with this celebration is the timing.

Ultimately, this is a new theme for the year. There's been a new theme every year for at least the last decade, as far as marketing and merchandise is concerned. For example, 1998 was "The Year to be Here", according to the souvenirs I have. 2001 was "100 Years of Magic". I couldn't tell you what some of the others were off the top of my head, but I know they all had a catch phrase/theme/whatever you want to call it. They also had a press event every year, usually in October. Sometimes with more fanfare (and more to announce) than others...

The last 2 years were "Year of a Million Dreams" years, and they started to give prizes away heavily. Now, everyone seems to expect that they will continue to give away spectacular prizes, when this is just a new theme for a new year. We already knew that from the recent posts re: this next year. And really, if you weren't on this board, would you be expecting anything at all? You would probably see the new commercials and think "Oh, yeah, Disney World. That would be cool..."

:shrug:I don't get the outrage?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom