Sentinel writes article on broken yeti!

MarkTwain

This is great! :) Now the Sentinel has brought this issue some publicity, hopefully Disney's hand will be forced to hurry up and do something about it. And if not, then at least fans unaware of the effect's failure will read this article and speak up to Disney about it in the future. Hopefully, Disney's reading some of those comments, too...

And really, "checking our options"? :rolleyes: The yeti hasn't worked now for a year and a half; it's about time those options were decided on. Considering that Disney STILL bills Everest as its latest and greatest, must-see attraction, it's just sad that the rides starring effect doesn't even work.

jakeman

Wow, the Lee and Martin hate was a little weird.

I've always thought you guys were some of the more level-headed "fanboys" out there.

Also equally as weird was the Kilimanjaro bashing going on there.

Not to derail the thread but the two issue brought up weren't exactly "cost cutting".

First the bridge was down for so long because once they added the brushes at the bottom of the trucks to discourage animals from running underneath them (I'm looking at you Guinea Fowl!) it set off the sensors on the bridge causing it not to operate. They basically had to come up with a whole new bridge design.

Second, as I've stated here a bunch, the Jeep was an unteniable effect. It was constantly getting struck by lightning. It wasn't so much an unwillingness to run it (they repaired it almost weekly for 3 years), it was just down more than it was up because of nature hating it.

Good article and good responses overall. I hope the comments stay on the topic at hand. I would hate to see some of the fringe elements of the fandom get a hold of it and turn it into their soapbox.

Atomicmickey

I was going to say that I hope the comments over at the sentinel don't continue with "fan sniping". There's enough of that over here, sadly.

Disney might look at that article and the comments. It would be a shame if they did, and concluded "oh, it's that same bunch of people that about everything on those fan message boards".

Talk about an express monorail to the 'ignore' pile. The hope is that more mainstream audiences and concerns come forth, not the usual fan stuff . . . .

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The article mentions some people feel it has not been fixed due to the number of people it can eat up. 2k/hr. Is there a boycott the yeti group yet? If no-one rides it they would have plenty of time to fix it :) But, then i guess the argument would be, why fix it if no one is riding it. sigh
This is essentially what I have personally done. I refuse to ride E:E again until the Yeti is in A mode. The main reason Disney does not fix the yeti is people are still queuing up in mass to ride it. When E:E is a walk on maybe they will fix it.

IWant2GoNow

Bottom line is; if it helps, awesome, if it doesn't help, we're no worse off than we are now with the Yeti's status.

So thank you to Jason for the article. And let's all hope that maybe it's that one little spark that gets WDW moving toward a better quality World.

po1998

I have never been on EE and this may be a stupid question on my part but...

Is it really that wise for WDW to build the most expensive AA at WDW, yet by accounts I have read, you go flying by it in a second or so?

cheezbat

I for one have been boycotting Animal Kingdom altogether this year. I hope that more people will do the same, so maybe attendance will drop significantly enough that Disney realizes they're losing money over this situation as well as because of the lack of attractions in this park. It pains me to do so, since I love some of the rides and attractions there, but we've gotta get them to open their eyes somehow, instead of just continually helping them rake in the money.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

Is it really that wise for WDW to build the most expensive AA at WDW, yet by accounts I have read, you go flying by it in a second or so?
:lol:

I dont know... but I'll admit that i wish it were more lit in that room so you could see it a bit better. Since AK closes most of the time with the sun still at a decent angle in the sky, my eyes take time to adjust sometimes to get a good glimpse at him.

I wish they would add some additional lighting in the section, or just turn up the lighting package they have now.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

The effect, when working of course, is IMHO well worth it. The main issue I see is Disney put all of their eggs in one basket. If an attraction is centered around one huge effect that effect has to be working or the ride has to go 101. End of story.

pax_65

This is essentially what I have personally done. I refuse to ride E:E again until the Yeti is in A mode. The main reason Disney does not fix the yeti is people are still queuing up in mass to ride it. When E:E is a walk on maybe they will fix it.

I haven't officially boycotted because of the Yeti, but I don't ride simply because it's not that good of a ride without him!

I used to always argue with people about how Disney was so much better than other parks. I'd say, "Compare Dudley Doo-right Ripsaw Falls and Dr. Doom to Splash Mountain and Tower of Terror!"

The difference was in the level of detail that went into these rides.

With EE, you have a decent roller coaster with a spectacular theme carried out through the queue and throughout the ride. This culminates and is tied all together with the very dramatic meeting with the Yeti. Without that encounter, the whole thing falls flat, and that Disney difference is gone.

joel_maxwell

I for one have been boycotting Animal Kingdom altogether this year. I hope that more people will do the same, so maybe attendance will drop significantly enough that Disney realizes they're losing money over this situation as well as because of the lack of attractions in this park. It pains me to do so, since I love some of the rides and attractions there, but we've gotta get them to open their eyes somehow, instead of just continually helping them rake in the money.
Boycotting AK altogether wouldn't make management focus on E:E specifically. They would be looking at why the park isnt successful instead of "Wow, we are pulling 26K a day in attendance, but we are only pushing 500 riders an hour on E:E. What is wring with this picture."

misterID

I just don't see them shutting down EE to fix the Yeti, which they'd have to, since there aren't any other rides in AK to pick up EE's slack. Attendance would drop big time if EE was shut down.

Evil Genius

I just don't see them shutting down EE to fix the Yeti, which they'd have to, since there aren't any other rides in AK to pick up EE's slack. Attendance would drop big time if EE was shut down.

Additionally, from what I was told in a conversation with an imagineer no longer with WDI, the way the Yeti is mounted in Everests dictates that the ride be taken down completely until the AA is fixed and returned due to how much of the mountain itself would need to be moved to extract the beast!

joel_maxwell

Just watched the video of Disco Yeti. How pathetic. I hadnt seen that live, but had heard reports.

Also, I saw where someone had mentioned the windows type right click on the projection, just saw that too. This attraction has become a true joke.

misterID

Additionally, from what I was told in a conversation with an imagineer no longer with WDI, the way the Yeti is mounted in Everests dictates that the ride be taken down completely until the AA is fixed and returned due to how much of the mountain itself would need to be moved to extract the beast!

Man, I didn't know any of that! That is going to be a lot of work.

I don't see this thing getting fixed anytime soon. There would have to be another big attraction built for that to happen.

Evil Genius

Man, I didn't know any of that! That is going to be a lot of work.

I don't see this thing getting fixed anytime soon. There would have to be another big attraction built for that to happen.

You just hit the nail on the head. They CANNOT afford to bring the attraction down until there is something implemented to accomodate the crowds E:E accomodates. Maybe if Everest existed in another park...but not in Animal Kingdom.

SOLISIMO

Just watched the video of Disco Yeti. How pathetic. I hadnt seen that live, but had heard reports.

Also, I saw where someone had mentioned the windows type right click on the projection, just saw that too. This attraction has become a true joke.

Yup I thought it was my imagination at first.

But in reality, Im going out on a limb guessing that the amount of people that ride the ride are tourist that dont really notice and far outweight the true entusiast that know. But me personally, if I was gonna spend that much money on something (and I mean alot of money) for it not to work or want to fix it shows where the company is going. I mean this isnt an old attraction is practically new and something they will have to live with for awhile.

Its the same concept if the Harry Poter ride had a major problem right now and they say, well its still bringing in the people so just let it be, who cares if we spent $100 million on this thing...........

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom