Sentinel reports that MyMagic+ executive vice president Nick Franklin will be leaving in July

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
It is still money well spent. I love it and so do the vast majority, so Disney does not care what a small minority of customers believe. They care about making money and making more people happy. It's time to stop the hate of fast pass plus and accept it and learn to use it.
We have lots of other threads to discuss the pros and cons of FastPass+, please keep it to those threads.

seascape

We have lots of other threads to discuss the pros and cons of FastPass+, please keep it to those threads.
The problem is its impossible to discuss Nicks leaving without discussing the technology. The issue is one in the same. Either bump this to another area or the discussion will go on.

ParentsOf4

I wish all people the best. I have no reason to believe Nick was fired or forced out. He could be leaving for millions of different reasons. However there is no doubt next gen is working. Some of you just don't understand.
I've read the earnings press releases, the quarterly earnings call transcripts, and the company's 10K & 10Q filings. There is no information so far indicating that MyMagic+ has made a dime.

All of WDW's gains have been driven, as usual, by "higher ticket prices, food and beverage and merchandise spending". This is exactly what's been driving WDW growth for the last 3 years, well before the advent of MyMagic+.

In the business world, "working" means providing a positive return on investment.

There is absolutely no publically available information to suggest that MyMagic+ is "working".

seascape

Please don't correct me, or anyone else on these boards unless you have facts to base your statement on.

I've heard from people close to this initiative that the number is "well over" $2 billion. Unless you can show me data otherwise, I trust these people with the info they've given me.
How can you ask others to believe you when you can't provide proof. All you have is hearsay. It's not admitted in court and even papers need more than one unnamed source.

wogwog

He's in California right now, so it was really 1:30am when he posted.
Not much better. His idea of vacation needs tweaking. I got off the Dream last week and doing the Fantasy next week before the summer vacation hoards crowd the ships and keep the prices up. That is a vacation @WDW1974. :joyfull:

Last edited:

seascape

I've read the earnings press releases, the quarterly earnings call transcripts, and the company's 10K & 10Q filings. There is no information so far indicating that MyMagic+ has made a dime.

All of WDW's gains have been driven, as usual, by "higher ticket prices, food and beverage and merchandise spending". This is exactly what's been driving WDW growth for the last 3 years, well before the advent of MyMagic+.

In the business world, "working" means providing a positive return on investment.

There is absolutely no publically available information to suggest that MyMagic+ is "working".
Believe what you want. I have put my money where my mouth is and purchased more stock every year for the past 5 years. The price has gone up and so have the dividend. I and most investors are very happy with Disney. I believe the technology will lead to higher attendance and profits. If you believe I am wrong then you should sell whatever stock you own in the company and further back up you view by selling short. If you do I think you will go broke and not have to worry about going to WDW.

DocMcHulk

come on people... stop taking the bait. Remember what Smokey the bear says...
trolls.jpg

Ignohippo

However, I think we both know neither extreme is actually the truth and far more likely it's somewhere in the middle. The project is not a failure, my bet is that it's over budget, but within contingency, but the overall rollout had more issues than they would like to admit. I also bet they are not meeting their internal projections on ROI with increased spending by guests. Again, it's probably not an extreme of zero ROI, but a lower and slower trend of increased spending.

It's entirely too early to be talking about ROI. We are probably 5-10 years from knowing if this project will be a financial success or not (and the project is already at least 1 year behind). What has been implemented at this point is just a drop in the bucket, so the financial implications really haven't even started yet.

If this were on budget, the delay would be easier to take. The idea that it's woefully over budget means they need to see results from the money they're spending – and they aren't seeing the positive results they were hoping for (which is unrealistic at this point anyway).

seascape

Or, you could stay on topic or find another forum where you can argue with the moderators....
How does any of this deal with Nicks leaving. The only thing we could talk about is who is replacing him. Anything else is talking about the technology. So it does not belong here. I believe the moderator was talking about all of this. If they want to kick me off because I post answers then so be it, it's their loss not mine but this hate of Nick and the technology is just wrong.

WDWDad13

It's entirely too early to be talking about ROI. We are probably 5-10 years from knowing if this project will be a financial success or not (and the project is already at least 1 year behind). What has been implemented at this point is just a drop in the bucket, so the financial implications really haven't even started yet.

If this were on budget, the delay would be easier to take. The idea that it's woefully over budget means they need to see results from the money they're spending – and they aren't seeing the positive results they were hoping for (which is unrealistic at this point anyway).
well said

wannab@dis

Please don't correct me, or anyone else on these boards unless you have facts to base your statement on.

I've heard from people close to this initiative that the number is "well over" $2 billion. Unless you can show me data otherwise, I trust these people with the info they've given me.
Hah. I gave specific links to a reputable news source that included the $1B budget with a quote from an executive that it's not over budget. That's reality and that facts in hand. It's not based on some anonymous forum poster claiming to be an "insider." Show me a fact that says otherwise is a reputable media source.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
How does any of this deal with Nicks leaving. The only thing we could talk about is who is replacing him. Anything else is talking about the technology. So it does not belong here. I believe the moderator was talking about all of this. If they want to kick me off because I post answers then so be it, it's there loss not mine but this hate of Nick and the technology is just wrong.
It's a discussion forum, and the moderator (and owner) of this site asked you to simply not go off on some insipid tangents about the supposed blessing that is MM+. Of you're unable to handle such a simple request, I can assure you the loss will not be ours....

Ignohippo

Hah. I gave specific links to a reputable news source that included the $1B budget with a quote from an executive that it's not over budget. That's reality and that facts in hand. It's not based on some anonymous forum poster claiming to be an "insider." Show me a fact that says otherwise is a reputable media source.

You're kidding, right? Quite simply, you are being fed information that is woefully out of date. The execs aren't going to allow for other information to be made public because that would show that they've lost control over the situation. They aren't lying about anything – they simply aren't disclosing the actual overruns.

To think an initiative of this size wouldn't be over budget by an enormous amount when it's at least 1-2 years behind schedule is incredibly naive. And when the financial implications of the program haven't even been implemented 4+ years after the initiative was started, the executives in charge have begun to absolutely lose their minds. This situation now has the possibility of blowing up in the faces of the execs worse than any corporate debacle in the last 20 years unless they can keep the facts under tight wrap. Their hopes is that if they can keep WDW in the black consistently, no one will question the NextGen initiative.

You can believe the info fed to the press by the company of you wish. I have no dog in the fight and could care less. I can only tell you that the info is not even in the realm of being accurate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom