Sentinel reports that MyMagic+ executive vice president Nick Franklin will be leaving in July

wdwfan4ver

The nature of what Disney said in the article doesn't sound right PhotoDave219 mentioned in terms of Nick Franklin.

I think there is a possibility of Mymagic+ is past its original budget based on some facts that Disney with WDW this year.

The first thing that comes to mind the Park Admission increase happened earlier than normal for WDW. That means Disney wants their numbers to look great for the parks and the best way to do that is raise costs to the customer.

Disney had an ticketed Merchandise event an May 15th called "Rebel Rendezvous" shows Disney has to be desperate for profit margins because buying limited Star War Merchandise a day before Star War Weekends costs each person $250.00. This is a big deal because Disney never did that before in terms of buying limited edition merchandise a day before a money making event in Star Wars Weekend.

More possible examples of proof of Mymagic Plus being over budget is the amount Star War Weekends increased this year, starting date of Mickey's Not so Scary Halloween having its first date earlier than last year, Food and Wine Festival starting a week earlier and having a ticketed event called Harambe Nights this year despite not having it last year. While Stars Weekend isn't a hard ticket, Star Wars does bring a lot people in to the point that Disney is doing Star Wars theme Character dining Experiences from May 4th to June 15th. Food and Wine Festival isn't a ticket item, but it is one of the reason for Epcot having the attendance it has and is a well proven money maker.

The Ticketed Merchandise Event, Daily Star Wars theme Character dining Experiences over a month, the ticketed Animal Kingdom event and the 3 events with increased amount days paints the picture of a company that wants their parks make more profit besides the unusual time of the year for announcing the increase of park admission and it could be caused by the Mymagic Plus being more Expensive.

What I mentioned also could by caused by Disney trying to doing something on the lower than domestic Per Capita Guest spending that Parents of 4 mentioned for last quarter in terms of why Disney wants to max out the parks profit by the examples I gave also.

Last edited:

wannab@dis

I knew you would have those numbers on a sticky note. ;)

Over the last 3 years, domestic Per Capita Guest Spending (PCGS) (i.e. spending at the theme parks) has averaged an 8% increase year-over-year for 13 straight quarters, ranging from a couple of quarters at 10% to one outlier low at 5%. This performance was pre full rollout of MyMagic+.

With MyMagic+ fully rolled out to onsite guests last quarter, PCGS was at 4%, the lowest since 2009 when the economy tanked.
So, without knowing exactly how those numbers are calculated, what could drive down the number? Was the 11% additive to the average 8%? or was 11% the total goal? Normally, a single quarter outlier has more to do with external forces, than internal problems. If the trend continues the downturn, that would spell problems.
Right now, there's simply no publically available financial data to support the notion that MyMagic+ is ever going to pay for itself, never mind achieve additional growth.

Even worse for corporate Disney's future, the last 3 consecutive years of 8% growth per annum is the highest ever in the 40+ years of WDW.

As I've posted before, the problem is represented by this:

View attachment 54197

Median Household Income has stagnated while prices have skyrocketed.

Any business strategy based on the notion that the American public (80% of WDW's market) can keep paying these kind of price increases is simply unsustainable.

Iger and Rasulo need to get out of their mansions, out of their boardrooms, and away from their $1000/plate fundraisers and start paying closer attention to what's happening at their theme parks.
2 things about that chart...
1) You left out other entertainment options - specifically Universal, Sea World, etc.
2) Maybe that chart says more about the economy than about Disney pricing structure. Don't want to dabble much in the politics, but household income has been attacked from all sides by current economic choices of the government...

Lee

Adventurer
I understand that you say someone is telling you about it. But, no offense, why would someone tell you that, but absolutely nothing is out there in the investor news about that Billion dollars. Maybe they are just telling you what you want to hear? Maybe they were passed over for a promotion? I don't know. But I just can't buy the fact that information can get to you, but nothing is discussed in reliable news. Think about that. What better than a huge story about a public company trying to hide massive Billion dollar overrun from investors? Journalists would drool over breaking a story like that.
Why does anyone tell me anything? Why do I get plans and concept art in my inbox?
I guess people just like to share. Or in this case, not everyone is onboard with this particular project, and don't want to see everything falsely painted as rosy.

Maybe you shouldn't just look at it as an overrun. Look at it as additional spending, related to NextGen, that was spread around to multiple other areas. That allows NextGen to technically be on budget, even though the total related spend has far exceeded that one budget item.

It's late...I'm starting to confuse myself...

wannab@dis

The nature of what Disney said in the article doesn't sound right PhotoDave219 mentioned in terms of Nick Franklin.

I think there is a possibility of Mymagic+ is past its original budget based on some facts that Disney with WDW this year.

The first thing that comes to mind the Park Admission increase happened earlier than normal for WDW. That means Disney wants their numbers to look great for the parks and the best way to do that is raise costs to the customer.

Disney had an ticketed Merchandise event an May 15th called "Rebel Rendezvous" shows Disney has to be desperate for profit margins because buying limited Star War Merchandise a day before Star War Weekends costs each person $250.00. This is a big deal because Disney never did that before in terms of buying limited edition merchandise a day before a money making event in Star Wars Weekend.

More possible examples of proof of Mymagic Plus being over budget is the amount Star War Weekends increased this year, starting date of Mickey's Not so Scary Halloween having its first date earlier than last year, Food and Wine Festival starting a week earlier and having a ticketed event called Harambe Nights this year despite not having it last year. While Stars Weekend isn't a hard ticket, Star Wars does bring a lot people in to the point that Disney is doing Star Wars theme Character dining Experiences from May 4th to June 15th.

The Ticketed Merchandise Event, Daily Star Wars theme Character dining Experiences over a month, the ticketed Animal Kingdom event and the 3 events with increased amount days paints the picture of a company that wants their parks make more profit besides the unusual time of the year for announcing the increase of park admission and it could be caused by the Mymagic Plus being more Expensive.

What I mentioned also could by caused by Disney trying to doing something on the lower than domestic Per Capita Guest spending that Parents of 4 mentioned for last quarter in terms of why Disney wants to max out the parks profit by the examples I gave also.
Couple of things about your post. You've highlighted several things, but nothing ominous or out of the ordinary. The number of special events have been increased over many years. They've been trying different events and they've added days to ticketed events multiple times. Trying to tie that to MM+ budget overrun is a stretch - it's just not enough to cover that supposed Billion deficit. Maybe the point that the ROI is slower than initially projected could be loosely connected, but again, those events are not a sign of failure of the project.

WDW1974

I interrupt my WELL EARNED Faux Top One Percent Spirited Spring Holiday to say ... Well, y'all just largely don't have a clue how media goliaths like Disney operate and you absolutely don't get why Franklin's contract isn't being renewed.

I leave and you let a wannabe dictate discussion? C'mon, I expect better from all of you.

Poor Georgie K. For a top guy, he's very likely next to find out what being on the bottom is all about. Well, after Georgie asks MacPhee to leave first.

Anyway, while I have much to share with you, I gots to get back to the business of having fun in the sun. But soon enough we'll be talking about Frozen in EPCOT being confirmed to me, when SDL will really open and with a Phase II already being rushed (unlike say DCA's), what WDW is hoping for from its Club 33 outpost, and why DCL will be expanding sooner rather than later (exec comments notwithstanding), maybe even some details on a new night parade for DL and the Wishes replacement for the MK and certainly some refreshing honesty about why DLR is a much better place to spend your vacation dollars than WDW is.

Oh, and before I go back to my holiday, let me congratulate Jason Garcia for that new job. How liberated you must be to be leaving for a job with no pressure whatsoever. Did you really place me on the same level as TWDC on the Twitter? Do you want my ego to grow even larger than my waistline has been of late?

P.S. Did that amazing Potter Swatting kiddie coaster ever open?

P.P.S. Now that a Premier AP costs over a grand, will Lifestylers start charity drives to have their flocks pay for their passes?

#SPIRITLUVSCASSANDRA

TP2000

But soon enough we'll be talking about Frozen in EPCOT being confirmed to me, when SDL will really open and with a Phase II already being rushed (unlike say DCA's), what WDW is hoping for from its Club 33 outpost, and why DCL will be expanding sooner rather than later (exec comments notwithstanding), maybe even some details on a new night parade for DL and the Wishes replacement for the MK and certainly some refreshing honesty about why DLR is a much better place to spend your vacation dollars than WDW is.

All of those topics sound fascinating! I will look forward to that thread very much.

Let's hope Nick Franklin's new job (the guy can't be more than 48) has a dress code where his shleppy Dockers and lightly ironed dress shirt will fit right in when he's introducing a Billion dollar project to the media for the first time. Maybe something at Pep Boys?

alissafalco

I see no reason for him to be fired. He's doing a great job.
5g.jpg
Nick is that you?

alissafalco

I interrupt my WELL EARNED Faux Top One Percent Spirited Spring Holiday to say ... Well, y'all just largely don't have a clue how media goliaths like Disney operate and you absolutely don't get why Franklin's contract isn't being renewed.

I leave and you let a wannabe dictate discussion? C'mon, I expect better from all of you.

Poor Georgie K. For a top guy, he's very likely next to find out what being on the bottom is all about. Well, after Georgie asks MacPhee to leave first.

Anyway, while I have much to share with you, I gots to get back to the business of having fun in the sun. But soon enough we'll be talking about Frozen in EPCOT being confirmed to me, when SDL will really open and with a Phase II already being rushed (unlike say DCA's), what WDW is hoping for from its Club 33 outpost, and why DCL will be expanding sooner rather than later (exec comments notwithstanding), maybe even some details on a new night parade for DL and the Wishes replacement for the MK and certainly some refreshing honesty about why DLR is a much better place to spend your vacation dollars than WDW is.

Oh, and before I go back to my holiday, let me congratulate Jason Garcia for that new job. How liberated you must be to be leaving for a job with no pressure whatsoever. Did you really place me on the same level as TWDC on the Twitter? Do you want my ego to grow even larger than my waistline has been of late?

P.P.S. Now that a Premier AP costs over a grand, will Lifestylers start charity drives to have their flocks pay for their passes?

#SPIRITLUVSCASSANDRA

Great to see you back, you've been missed. I'm dreading what you have to say about Frozen in Epcot. I hope it's just a character meal and Maelstrom is left alone!!

WDWDad13

More possible examples of proof of Mymagic Plus being over budget is the amount Star War Weekends increased this year, starting date of Mickey's Not so Scary Halloween having its first date earlier than last year, Food and Wine Festival starting a week earlier and having a ticketed event called Harambe Nights this year despite not having it last year. While Stars Weekend isn't a hard ticket, Star Wars does bring a lot people in to the point that Disney is doing Star Wars theme Character dining Experiences from May 4th to June 15th. Food and Wine Festival isn't a ticket item, but it is one of the reason for Epcot having the attendance it has and is a well proven money maker.

It doesn't automatically have to be because of any MM+ overruns. Maybe it's because of all the construction costs happening in AK of DTD or these other mystery projects in the pipeline

WDWDad13

#SPIRITLUVSCASSANDRA

haha I knew you couldn't give up an opportunity to
A- bash Disney on a recent news article about someone leaving the company
B- talk down to everyone like we haven't a clue about anything and shouldn't even post
C- bash Garcia
D- bash the new mine train coaster

You're becoming way to predictable :)

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

B- talk down to everyone like we haven't a clue about anything and shouldn't even post or think for ourselves
C- bash Garcia

Ahh, but what is a good spirit without a good schtick?

wogwog

#SPIRITLUVSCASSANDRA
I am disappointed in your concept of vacation. Why are you even awake at 4:36 AM? Please.

Kman101

B- talk down to everyone like we haven't a clue about anything and shouldn't even post
C- bash Garcia

If you don't like what he says, why waste your time even reading and commenting?

seascape

I wish all people the best. I have no reason to believe Nick was fired or forced out. He could be leaving for millions of different reasons. However there is no doubt next gen is working. Some of you just don't understand. Ask any family that plans a Disney Vacation.

1. Is there any more planning today that 10 wears ago? No. Just look at all the books about Disney Vacations and planning for them. In fact MDE makes it much easier because it's on your smartphone.

2. Is getting on rides and attractions harder or easier today than in the past? As an adult who does not feel I should have to run to get fast passes or to the top rides and attractions I find it much easier with fast pass. I would also like to say that once in the past I forgot my ticket at one of the fast pass machined and had to get a new one. The cast member told me that happens hundreds of times a day. Magic bands eliminate the need to put your ticket in a machine and so it eliminates the possibility of losing your ticket that way. Now I know the response from many will be they are not stupid enough to lose a ticket that way.

3. Is it easier to cary one magic band or tickets, keys and credit cards? I now only take my magic band when going to blizzard beach. I don't have to worry about someone taking my wallet while I am in the pool or slide. I know I could spend for a locker and did when I had my wallet, keys and stuff but now I can save money.

4. How about buying stuff? The new system allows Disney to email me detailed info on how much I spent and where. What does the credit card company send me? The send how much I spend at Disney but not where on property and what it's for. I will take the new system any day.

5. Does the new system have limitations? Yes. You have to select fast passes for Anna and Elsa in advance or wait up to 5 hours. Under the old system you would have either never been offered a fast pass or wait like everyone else.

Now what improvements would I like?

1. Allow an additional fast pass after 2 have been used rather that 3. This would allow me to pick a nite time show and still get to use extra fast pass picks.

2. I would be able to pick my original 3 fast passes at different parks. I love to spend the morning at one park and the afternoon and or evening at anotherr.

Kman101

Some people are going to be negative, it's how life is, and being critical IS ok, it's NOT bashing Disney just to bash Disney. LOL. Come on. Not everything is sunshine and roses despite what some posters want to believe. We all believe something different, doesn't make anyone of us wrong. And FYI CORPORATIONS LIE. Why is that so hard to grasp?

seascape

I want to make sure I understand what you are writing.

1. WDW attendance is down or not growing and so they raise prices to make more money even though everybody know the way to increase attendance is to lower prices.

2. Disney is not selling enough toys and stuff so they raise prices to sell less.

3. People love food and wine and Disney responds by adding a week to it but this is a bad thing and a sign of trouble. I just don't get that one. I love food and wine. I love flower and garden. I would still stay 8 nights in the fall because it's my anniversary but I go in April for Flower and garden and the food carts make it even better. I guess this is a case of giving me what I want is wrong. Please help me understand this because I just can't.

4. Halloween and Christmas parties are not really beginning earlier it's just the way the calendar falls this year. Besides people want to go to them.

5. More ticketed events like Harambe Nights. I wish they would extend it to when I am there. I would love to see and enjoy that. What is wrong with Disney offering this? Look at what they are offering and the price is not bad. I thinks it's a fantastic deal. Great entertainment and food before and after the show.

DocMcHulk

The original budget was $1B. I'm not up to date on the new and improved math, but 4 times $1B = $4B on most calculators. ;)

And where did you get that figure from? A reliable news source, or *gasp* an insider?!
Actually, I seem to remember the original budget was in the vacinity of $700m. 700m x 4 = $2.8b

Last edited:

DocMcHulk

No, $4billion is not accurate.
Around $2billion is, though. And you won't ever get them to publicly admit it.
Just to be clear, and to defend myself... I never said the current cost of the project was $4b. People are putting those words in my mouth. I seem to remember the original budge was in the vicinity of $700m. Last I saw from an insider here, the project was already over $2b. That puts it in the area of 3x-4x over budget.

seascape

Just to be clear, and to defend myself... I never said the current cost of the project was $4b. People are putting those words in my mouth. I seem to remember the original budge was in the vicinity of $700m. Last I saw from an insider here, the project was already over $2b. That puts it in the area of 3x-4x over budget.
It is still money well spent. I love it and so do the vast majority, so Disney does not care what a small minority of customers believe. They care about making money and making more people happy. It's time to stop the hate of fast pass plus and accept it and learn to use it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom