Send the country bears packing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

devoy1701

You're wrong.
Um...no. I dont listen to much blues (mostly swing and big band if I'm listening to 40s), and Country music may have roots in folk and blues, but the kind of music played in CBJ and the music that has evolved into today's popular country music is far from blues that is similar to Lead Belly, and later Duke Ellington or BB...so trying to imply that black artists were purposely omitted from CBJ when the music has nothing to do with the type in the attraction is absurd.

FettFan

I didnt think the first successful black country artist came around until Darius Rucker switched from rock to country around 2007ish. Are they adding him during this refurb?

No. Darius Rucker is country flavored contempo-pop....just like every other "country" singer these days.

The Country Bears needs to stick to what works the best....old timey country music. The critical and commercial success of O Brother Where Art Thou shows in part that people genuinely enjoy older country music. The movie's theme song "Man of Constant Sorrow" actually became a top-selling single and won a Grammy for Best Country Collaboration.

So perhaps they could do a "Louisiana Hayride" style show, give it a 1930s theatre and lighting, with the premise that they are performing a live radio show....add a few songs to their repertoire. Keep "Blood in the Saddle"...but also give Big Al a few notes of "Big Rock Candy Mountain", perhaps. Throw in some more classic songs and do the Star Tours/Tower of Terror thing by alternating the show sets.

Clever Name

Then make the blues the international music of the 21st century....
We've progressed to hip-hop and that musical form is inclusive of the blues.
And Lead Belly still has nothing to do with the CBJ.
He's just one of many black country artists that could have been used in the show. When the show was written popular black country artists were not included.

devoy1701

He's just one of many black country artists that could have been used in the show. When the show was written popular black country artists were not included.

He's not a country artist because blues isnt country. just like Blues isnt Hip Hop. Some hip hop might be bluesy, but not all blues is hip hopity...and not a blues is crap like most hip hop.

Anyway, by your definition of blues being country, and hip hop being inclusive of the blues genre, that would mean that country is hip hop, which it's obviously not. Sorry dude, you're making no sense.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

In other words, disregarding the past is acceptable? If so, then disregarding the blues artists (such as Lead Belly) was an acceptable oversight by Disney when they developed CBJ.

And stop accusing everyone of racism or being close-minded because they don't worship at the altar of hip-hop. Other musical genres came before it, and others will follow. Hip-hop will just have to adapt.

Clever Name

So perhaps they could do a "Louisiana Hayride" style show, give it a 1930s theatre and lighting, with the premise that they are performing a live radio show....add a few songs to their repertoire. Keep "Blood in the Saddle"...but also give Big Al a few notes of "Big Rock Candy Mountain", perhaps. Throw in some more classic songs and do the Star Tours/Tower of Terror thing by alternating the show sets.

I'd like to see them do a line or two from "The Arkansas Traveler" and I like the "Big Rock Candy Mountain" idea!

puntagordabob

Why do you seem to be pointing toward Hip_hop being the music we progressed to... to be honest I think Hip-Hop is simply a blip on the radar that will over time fade back towards dance music..... and for the record if you poll the entire planet I am fairly certain Hip-Hop is no where near the #1.

Clever Name

In other words, disregarding the past is acceptable? If so, then disregarding the blues artists (such as Lead Belly) was an acceptable oversight by Disney when they developed CBJ.
Not at all. You really need to get your facts right before you distort them.
And stop accusing everyone of racism or being close-minded because they don't worship at the altar of hip-hop. Other musical genres came before it, and others will follow. Hip-hop will just have to adapt.
I made no such accusations.

puntagordabob

Here is my thought... With brand spanking new attractions we will have whatever the Imagineers come up with and thats Just Fine with me....

However as for the classic attractions there ARE what Walter Elias Disney wanted them to be... so adding this or that just screws it up (Tiki Room Under New Management is a huge example of this).....

Please get this point as it is important... SOME things should be left alone....and the absolute core of the CoP, Tiki Room, and CBJ should be hands off.

Clever Name

Why do you seem to be pointing toward Hip_hop being the music we progressed to... to be honest I think Hip-Hop is simply a blip on the radar that will over time fade back towards dance music..... and for the record if you poll the entire planet I am fairly certain Hip-Hop is no where near the #1.
You could be right. However, hip-hop is both a new and an old musical form. It goes back many years and includes classical, jazz, blues, rock & roll, country, western, soul, funk plus rhythm and blues. I know some people are not current with musical trends so its not uncommon to misunderstand the nature of hip-hop.

puntagordabob

You could be right. However, hip-hop is both a new and an old musical form. It goes back many years and includes classical, jazz, blues, rock & roll, country, western, soul, funk plus rhythm and blues. I know some people are not current with musical trends so its not uncommon to misunderstand the nature of hip-hop.

The University of Illinois does not states:

Geographical Origins
Hip hop music is related to the griots of West Africa, traveling singers and poets whose musical style is reminiscent of hip hop. Some griot traditions came with slaves to the New World. The most important direct influence on the creation of hip hop music is the Jamaican style of toasting. Toasting is the act of talking or chanting over a rhythm or beat. This was initially developed in Jamaica during the 1960s. Toasting developed at dances in Jamaica known as "blues dances". "Blues dances" were dances which took place in large halls or out in the open in the slum yards. "Blues dances" were a regular feature of ghetto life in Jamaica. At these dances black American R&B records were played. Jamaicans were introduced to these records by black American sailors stationed on the island and by American radio stations in and around Miami which played R&B records. MCs from sound systems employed the technique to further enhance their dub plates. As time progressed the MCs would become more creative in their chants, eventually overshadowing the tunes they were initially supposed to enhance. This led to the earliest forms of what is know known as dancehall in Jamaica and hip hop in the US.

http://www.uic.edu/orgs/kbc/hiphop/overview.htm

So while Blues, Jazz, and Soul are perhaps part of the origins...the other music genres do not appear to be involved... I checked a few different .EDU sites and even some non- .edu sites and the over all narrative is similar.

In any case....the origins I posted seems to be the more popular history.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom