Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

WDWgal

If it extends from your body the way a selfie stick does then it would be considered a selfie and therefore, yes. Banned. If it is one of those small 4 or 5 inch handles then you'd be fine.

I thought they would still allow those small 4 or 5 inch handles, but from the wording I thought the small ones were also banned. thanks!

G00fyDad

I thought they would still allow those small 4 or 5 inch handles, but from the wording I thought the small ones were also banned. thanks!

If it does not extend and is very small then it would be no different than any other stabilizing device for a camera. They still allow tripods and monopods.

G00fyDad

Ah. I see now. I had forgotten people that brought that up before. Those comments are usually so ridiculous that I usually ignore it.

Seeing as though these sticks are banned in the parks do you think Disney is going to do anything about people using them on transportation? A friend of mine was just at Disney 2 weeks ago and the friend she was traveling with was hit in the side of the head with a phone attached to a selfie stick while riding on the boat from Wilderness Lodge to the Magic Kindom.

erasure fan1

Yes, they should be enforcing all rules, but this one poses an immediate physical danger, especially on rides.

I think you'll find them being very diligent about this one. As they should be, since people are apparently so frickin' stupid they don't know any better. In this case, if one of those dang things falls on a ride track, say on BTM - lives can be lost.

Imagine a selfie on space mountain and you hit the tunnel. Lots of bad when combined with lots of stupid.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Ah. I see now. I had forgotten people that brought that up before. Those comments are usually so ridiculous that I usually ignore it.

Seeing as though these sticks are banned in the parks do you think Disney is going to do anything about people using them on transportation? A friend of mine was just at Disney 2 weeks ago and the friend she was traveling with was hit in the side of the head with a phone attached to a selfie stick while riding on the boat from Wilderness Lodge to the Magic Kindom.

While they are only being banned in the parks, I think as people get used to it and we get past the 'I didn't know' stage you'll stop seeing them on most of the transportation around the parks as well. If folks can't bring them into the park they'll stop bringing them on transportation to the parks and Disney likely expects that problem 'may' take care of itself without having to ban them there explicitly. It wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing signage go up at resort bus stops reminding guests of the ban and suggesting they return selfie-sticks to their rooms before heading to the parks. Only time will tell how the park ban plays out around the rest of the property.

G00fyDad

While they are only being banned in the parks, I think as people get used to it and we get past the 'I didn't know' stage you'll stop seeing them on most of the transportation around the parks as well. If folks can't bring them into the park they'll stop bringing them on transportation to the parks and Disney likely expects that problem 'may' take care of itself without having to ban them there explicitly. It wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing signage go up at resort bus stops reminding guests of the ban and suggesting they return selfie-sticks to their rooms before heading to the parks. Only time will tell how the park ban plays out around the rest of the property.

Very good point. I suppose it probably will start taking care of itself. I also would imagine that they will put up signage at the bus stops. The less upset guests are at this the easier the transition will be. Making sure that the guests are aware of it at check in and that they can see signs that the bus stops would prevent most people from bringing them to the parks.

note2001

A friend of mine was just at Disney 2 weeks ago and the friend she was traveling with was hit in the side of the head with a phone attached to a selfie stick while riding on the boat from Wilderness Lodge to the Magic Kindom.
If a phone hit me on the side of the head I'd be swatting it away so fast I can guarantee the person on the other end would loose their grip. I've been battered by bugs of gargantuan proportions on those boats. Not stopping to find out if it's someone's phone or not. With a little luck the person's phone would end up in the water.

AEfx

Imagine a selfie on space mountain and you hit the tunnel. Lots of bad when combined with lots of stupid.

The really bad thing is if it ever lands on a coaster track. Like, life threatening. While the whole "penny on a railroad track" thing is an urban legend, a metal rod (even a cheaply made one) and a cell phone attached (remarkably, many of them hold a cell phone quite securely I am told, for being cheap little devices) and an oncoming coaster car could easily be a derailment.

And some of our more knowledgeable folks about ride physics like @marni1971 could probably confirm the danger level - but I believe that if one does blow out of someone's hand, it probably would be blown back to the track behind them, depending on where it happened. I'm sure it's possible it would just be flattened, but if it landed correctly, I really believe it isn't crazy to think it would cause a derailment. And we really don't need one of those...

In any case, I think that is why they are talking such a hard line on this - and I really hope that anyone who is caught doing them on a ride gets ejected for the day, at least.

bhg469

The really bad thing is if it ever lands on a coaster track. Like, life threatening. While the whole "penny on a railroad track" thing is an urban legend, a metal rod (even a cheaply made one) and a cell phone attached (remarkably, many of them hold a cell phone quite securely I am told, for being cheap little devices) and an oncoming coaster car could easily be a derailment.

And some of our more knowledgeable folks about ride physics like @marni1971 could probably confirm the danger level - but I believe that if one does blow out of someone's hand, it probably would be blown back to the track behind them, depending on where it happened. I'm sure it's possible it would just be flattened, but if it landed correctly, I really believe it isn't crazy to think it would cause a derailment. And we really don't need one of those...

In any case, I think that is why they are talking such a hard line on this - and I really hope that anyone who is caught doing them on a ride gets ejected for the day, at least.
Doesn't the people mover have strong electro magnets? An arc across that wouldn't be fun.

Cesar R M

If it does not extend and is very small then it would be no different than any other stabilizing device for a camera. They still allow tripods and monopods.
I really wish they dont start to ruin that for us photographers.

I mean....imagine these selfie stick clowns.. now buying the "camera holders" thingies for normal tripods/monopods. (they pretty much attach any phone to the system used in tripods)
And then, they waving the even heavier monopods like selfie sticks. :mad:

Well, that might happen at Disneyland, but at WDW.. the majority seems to be of the "once and done" visitors.
And in some of these countries.. they just started to get the dumb selfie fever.

Cesar R M

that happened already on pirates if I remember correctly. (The news regarding that was posted in the forum)
Someone extended the device before the drop... the selfie stick shattered when it hit the walls. It hurt the idiot's hand (badly) as well as other 2 guests with the flying fragments.

[

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And some of our more knowledgeable folks about ride physics like @marni1971 could probably confirm the danger level - but I believe that if one does blow out of someone's hand, it probably would be blown back to the track behind them, depending on where it happened. I'm sure it's possible it would just be flattened, but if it landed correctly, I really believe it isn't crazy to think it would cause a derailment.
Worse case scenario, chance in a million, is that the pole could get jammed between a wheel and the track. This would more likely cause the car to slow or stop, which could still be dangerous, and would be at least a huge inconvenience to hundreds of guests. Witness what a bag did to DCAs Screamin' a few years back.

As big a worry is a flying stick either hitting show scenery, or worse, a rider seated behind. Even at 20mph getting a stick and cellphone - or either item - in the face doesn't bear thinking about.

I'll also add that the reports actually mentioned by the media are just the tip of the iceberg.

There's been many complaints about Universals zero tolerance policy on carry on items on their faster attractions. I'd hate to see this the norm on more attractions but sadly guests more and more need protecting from theirselves.

wogwog

It really takes a lot of effort and planning to fix stupid. The information overload around the parking and resorts is massive. No one other than guests who do not read or understand English or common international signage should arrive at at parks not knowing about the stick ban. That being said, see first sentence.

CDavid

While the whole "penny on a railroad track" thing is an urban legend, a metal rod (even a cheaply made one) and a cell phone attached (remarkably, many of them hold a cell phone quite securely I am told, for being cheap little devices) and an oncoming coaster car could easily be a derailment.

Actually, there is a very real, if uncommon, danger to a penny on a railroad track. Rather than flattening the coin, the wheel may instead squeeze the penny, sending it flying out as a projectile not unlike like a bullet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom