Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

FigmentsFangirl

When that happens, go to a CM at the end of the ride and say that you were trying to enjoy the ride and someone kept taking flash photos. They usually will let you go again.
I had a friend who I took to WDW and it was her first time on Pirates. The flash photos were horrible so I talked to the CM at the end of the ride. She not only let us go again, but we had the entire boat to ourselves and she waited a bit before launching the next boat so we basically had the entire ride to ourselves. And I'll tell you what.........that made it SO MUCH better.
I have yet to try this, I will do so omn my next trip when it happens again because it most surely will

FigmentsFangirl

I for one can easily put up with the chanting teens, those groups are no big deal for me whatsoever, its the selfie stick groups that drive me nuts! {not to mention those same folks with aforementioned weapons line jump with four of their members waiting in line and then right when those four are called up the rest of the entire tourgroup {about 70 or 90 people} show up and cut in line completely ewaving their selfiesticks triumphantly in the air as they board the ride or do the M&G}

donsullivan

Premium Member
I'm glad to see this happening but not looking forward to the bag check lines over the next few weeks until this all settles in with people. Security will inevitably be doing extra careful bag checks looking for hidden selfie sticks which will slow things down. Security lines on July 4th are always crazy, this will likely push them to insane.

once everyone gets used to it, things will be fine but in the early weeks when everyone plays "I didn't know" and wants to argue it's likely to be a little annoying.

note2001

Fairly certain it's the person, weapon ideas aside....

Yup. A spoon can be made into a weapon... not about to ban spoons.

Selfie sticks on their own aren't a bad invention. There are many responsible people out there who know how to use one without hitting anyone, getting in the way, or tripping up on someone in their path. (disclaimer: I am not promoting them, I have taken only 2 selfies in my life)

The problem is actually three fold: 1) the way the item is designed, 2) the situation (such as crowds, rides, active paths), and 3) poor behavior of the person using the schtick. All three of these together lends itself to problems. Remove any one of these items and the situation isn't bad enough to take action (unless the person is hauling off and hitting folk on purpose.)

Perhaps this and other like bans will prompt someone to design something that isn't intrusive. Other than that drone cam that was posted here earlier I don't have any idea what it might be. People are resourceful though, I look forward to seeing all the home made designs, and phones plopping on the ground ;)

Last edited:

wogwog

I'm glad to see this happening but not looking forward to the bag check lines over the next few weeks until this all settles in with people. Security will inevitably be doing extra careful bag checks looking for hidden selfie sticks which will slow things down. Security lines on July 4th are always crazy, this will likely push them to insane.

once everyone gets used to it, things will be fine but in the early weeks when everyone plays "I didn't know" and wants to argue it's likely to be a little annoying.
You could be correct but I have hopes it will not be a rough implementation. It is in the local newspaper, radio and TV news in Orlando, as well as national news and press. I saw it earlier tonight on cable news and network news. A WDW GS Manager, playing in my poker party at the moment, tells me the plan is to heavily blanket the resorts with the new rules. Signage in the parking lots to get those not staying in a resort and he believes signage at park entrances will be in place. Guest relations will disperse some of their cast throughout the parks to take possession of sticks and give the owner a claim check to pick up the stick on the way out of the park.

He does not know as fact but says another option could be parking lot tram, bus, monorail, and for MK boat announcements so guests should not be surprised at bag check.

He also said the majority of cast will be trained in meetings and the like between today and Tuesday on the stricter policy and how to handle the guest concerns. It does seem like the guests who do not know before getting to bag check should be a very small number.

JERiv

Someone made a "In Memory" video about Selife Sticks as a response.

Wow... just watching that video made me angry. Yeesh! It's like he distilled some sort of "Ode to the Self Absorbed" with equal parts of "Just how bad can you make a picture by always putting a d@ng stick in the middle of it on every-single-freaking-picture" and it emerged as a that "In Memory of a Selfie Stick" video.

I guess that's why folks keep calling them "selfish" sticks.

halltd

^ I'm assuming this cart is not an official Disney cart. Do the outside vendors have to have their merchandise approved by Disney? Or, can they pretty much sell whatever they want?

afb28

^ I'm assuming this cart is not an official Disney cart. Do the outside vendors have to have their merchandise approved by Disney? Or, can they pretty much sell whatever they want?
@touringplans said since it's a private cart they can sell what they want

but it'll be interesting to see if they say anything after the ban has started

wogwog

So anyone who would have a question upon arriving at Disney about the stick ban the following will save you time. These are the scripted Q & A being suggested to staff. Courtesy of a Guest Relations acquaintance.

Frequently asked questions for reactive use with Cast and Guests:

Are selfie sticks allowed in Disney theme parks?

No. Like many other venues, Disneyland and Walt Disney World theme parks, water parks and DisneyQuest Indoor Interactive Theme Park will no longer permit selfie sticks effective June 30. Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland theme parks also will be included in this policy change, effective July 1.

Why are selfie sticks no longer allowed in Disney theme parks?

We strive to provide a great experience for the entire family, and unfortunately selfie sticks have become a growing safety concern for both our Guests and Cast. In addition, because these devices continue to be used on attractions despite “No Selfie Sticks” signs and verbal warnings, many popular attractions have experienced down times, which disrupt the guest experience.

Where can Guests leave their selfie sticks?

We are encouraging guests to not bring selfie sticks to Disney theme parks. If a selfie stick is observed in the theme park, Guests will have the option of checking their device for pickup near the main entrance prior to departure or returning to the park after they’ve stored it in an alternate location outside the theme park (e.g., car, hotel room). Guests should visit Guest Relations if they have questions.

In addition to selfie sticks, is any other type of photography or photography equipment prohibited in Disney parks?

Disney park rules list “photography, videotaping, or recording of any kind for commercial purposes” among prohibited activities. Additionally, prohibited items include “large tripods.”

Are selfie sticks being banned to generate more business for the Disney PhotoPass Service?

No. We strive to provide a great experience for the entire family, and unfortunately selfie sticks have become a growing safety concern for both our Guests and Cast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom