Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

NowInc

I'll just leave this here:
CB3LkwuWYAAdl6Y.jpg:large

And on top of all that...using flash...during the day? Popup flash even!

wdizneew

:) and an article from orlando sentinel pretty much confirming what I have been saying for a bit http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...d-ban-selfie-sticks-from-parks-2015-post.html

The Orlando Sentinel briefly mentions this in the article, but THIS incident is what put the final, big, long, extended nail on the selfie stick coffin!
Capture.JPG

The incident occurred on Wednesday. Sounds like it was pulled out or caught on camera during the lift area before the tall drop and loop.
http://ktla.com/2015/06/25/disney-c...r-stopped-after-rider-pulls-out-selfie-stick/

NowInc

The Orlando Sentinel briefly mentions this in the article, but THIS incident is what put the final, big, long, extended nail on the selfie stick coffin!
View attachment 98507
The incident occurred on Wednesday. Sounds like it was pulled out or caught on camera during the lift area before the tall drop and loop.
http://ktla.com/2015/06/25/disney-c...r-stopped-after-rider-pulls-out-selfie-stick/

The decision was made WAY before that incident occurred, actually. They just used that as an example of why they are taking action.

dial3001

What todays "I video/take pictures of what is happening" will not have memories in their brains. I once made the mistake of videoing our Disney trip. Afterwards the only memory I truly had was of taking video. Now taking a picture every so often is not an issue, but the constant non stop viewing of your life thru a video screen leaves you brain empty of any memory except looking at a video screen.

betty rose

So an amusing side discussion over this....they were also debating a ban on the flags that tour groups tote around

Stabilizers are not selfie sticks, as they do not extend 2+ feet from the body. They are safe.

The policy of what is accepted and what is not will be shaky at first (people arguing that the gopro pole isn't a selfie stick...which it is) and others who will be upset and claim that tripods should be banned as well. Its going to be an interesting summer.
Glad I'm not going until October. :D

G00fyDad

I am glad this is happening. Hopefully the CM's will enforce it. This makes it far less likely that I will have an "incident" because I get smacked with a narcistick.

280sw007883.gif

wdizneew

The decision was made WAY before that incident occurred, actually. They just used that as an example of why they are taking action.

I realize that but at least this specific incident was widely reported and made a lot of people aware what was going on.
It's also a great example to give to those pro-selfie stick people as to why their precious stick is being taken away.
https://twitter.com/kvnl97/status/613880587086991360/photo/1
Some guys even tweeted pics of them getting stuck at the very top of the ride!

G00fyDad

WDWMAGIC said:
Guest Relations will be on hand to tag any selfie sticks for storage during the day, with a claim ticket given to the guest for pickup on exiting the park.

I knew this was the way they were going to handle the sticks. Claim tickets. Isn't that sad that it has to be done in the first place?

NowInc

I realize that but at least this specific incident was widely reported and made a lot of people aware what was going on.
It's also a great example to give to those pro-selfie stick people as to why their precious stick is being taken away.
https://twitter.com/kvnl97/status/613880587086991360/photo/1
Some guys even tweeted pics of them getting stuck at the very top of the ride!

It made people aware, yes...but it was in no way a contributing factor on the decision for park wide banning. That decision was made almost 2 months ago. Its good of them to point out specific examples of their concern tho.

G00fyDad

And on top of all that...using flash...during the day? Popup flash even!

That looks like a useless Rebel P&S. It may be a auto function thing. You can turn off the flash but the top pops open anyway. I think. Still doesn't prevent it from looking stupid.

mousehockey37

Bravo to Disney for listening. It was only a matter of time until something possibly disastrous happened and became a bigger, more expensive headache!!!!

I think that in addition to a claim ticket, you should get smacked with the thing at the time you hand it over and get it back, lol.

mousehockey37

That looks like a useless Rebel P&S. It may be a auto function thing. You can turn off the flash but the top pops open anyway. I think. Still doesn't prevent it from looking stupid.

Don't worry, it'll be soon enough that the next great "tourist invention" will come through the gates at the parks... What will that be? Who knows, but it's coming...

mousehockey37

Honestly, I hope that they enforce this ban. But, I wish they would enforce other rules...esp. the cooler rule.

Yes! My DGF who has a lot of food allergies was just down 2 weeks ago and said she saw people with decent sized coolers going through the parks. She also has a pretty fun story about seeing someone in line at the security tables with one as well. Basically, the lady was in line at the table with handbags and larger sized cooler and the security guard looked at her and said ma'am, these people on this side have small purses with nothing in them and you have a lot of stuff. I'm going to get them done first and then I'll check your things to not hold up the line. The lady apparently started flipping out and the guard was just like... this was your choice to bring these things to the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom