Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

gmajew

Your comment reminded me of something I was watching recently.

I was very inspired by a TedTalk Tor Myhren gave on Daydreaming and the decline of Creativity in America that hits on exactly that point ... I had the opportunity to work alongside him when he was at Leo Burnett Detroit ... (of course he lost the Cadillac account with that David LaChapelle Superbowl spot ... but then redeemed himself with the E-Trade baby.)

His takes on social networks are brilliant and the key points in that speech are ideals I wish Disney would take more to heart instead of building on tech that makes you more dependant to being stuck phones and devices.

Can you still get that on TED? Would like to listen to it.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The act of taking a "selfie" isn't new though, it's been around for ages. Selfie sticks? A total moronic trend.

As for how many pictures people need...Photopass remains in business so I guess people like pictures of themselves.
But a picture of yourself taken by someone else is not a selfie. It's a portrait.

UncleMike101

Three: Work (or school) ID, License and Passport. (Had a good laugh with the RMV guy as he told me of all the girls coming through getting their permit pictures taken who want to do a duck face.)

This selfie trend will be seen as the big joke of 2014-2015 in 10 years time.
Although Time Magazine may have listed the Selfie stick as one of the best inventions of 2014, I think by the end of 2015 they'll be putting it on a "Worst inventions" list.
Yeah.....
And Time named Hitler Man Of The Year in 1938.......
:facepalm:

G00fyDad

It isn't hard at all. To ask for a picture isn't. But to take one can very well be. Should one bother other people with such a request? If somebody asks to take their picture you can't very well say no. Meanwhile maybe you were on your way to meet up with people, or off to your reservation. Maybe you are shy to take other people's pictures. Maybe you are not good with tech gadgets and are now put in a position of awkwardness. Or you were simpyl soaking up the atmosphere and are now disturbed.

Yes, my instinct too goes against selfie sticks. But part of me thinks it can also be a great considerate use of technology.

Maybe you're right to some degree. I'm not sure I would want someone who couldn't touch a spot on my cellphone screen holding my phone. That person probably shouldn't be walking and talking at the same time. Cell phones are way too advanced these days. I guess some people have no idea what the camera button on the camera screen of a cell phone means.

Tigger1988

Maybe you're right to some degree. I'm not sure I would want someone who couldn't touch a spot on my cellphone screen holding my phone. That person probably shouldn't be walking and talking at the same time. Cell phones are way too advanced these days. I guess some people have no idea what the camera button on the camera screen of a cell phone means.
It's not that the act of taking the photo is difficult...

Every time I've ever asked someone to take my photo using my phone, be it a Photopass photographer or a fellow attendee at New York Comic Con, I get a blurry shaky photo in return. Clicking the button isn't the issue, keeping their damn hand still seems to be.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
And now poor people are trying to imitate stupid people.

thirdworld.jpg

G00fyDad

It's not that the act of taking the photo is difficult...

Every time I've ever asked someone to take my photo using my phone, be it a Photopass photographer or a fellow attendee at New York Comic Con, I get a blurry shaky photo in return. Clicking the button isn't the issue, keeping their damn hand still seems to be.

I see your point now. I don't typically have that issue since my Note 4 has an image stabilizer, but I get what you're saying. (Actually I think the iPhone 6 has one too.)

NowInc

I am sincerely confused how people think taking a selfie with a camera/phone attached to a thin pole extended outwards from you can produce a better picture than one taken by a human being.

G00fyDad

I am sincerely confused how people think taking a selfie with a camera/phone attached to a thin pole extended outwards from you can produce a better picture than one taken by a human being.

You're forgetting that these same people are already assuming that A) their crappy iPhone camera will take a good shot even when held in the hand and B) that the image will not be a blur because they cannot hold the pole still enough. They have already made the monumental mistake of purchasing the idiot stick. Clearly they don't make great life choices.

Matt_Black

Well, in the former case, you only have yourself to blame. With the latter, friendships are ruined, families are broken, and your faith in humanity is shattered, all over one blurry photo.

Selfie sticks- preserving society one picture at a time!

Foltzy

You're forgetting that these same people are already assuming that A) their crappy iPhone camera will take a good shot even when held in the hand and B) that the image will not be a blur because they cannot hold the pole still enough. They have already made the monumental mistake of purchasing the idiot stick. Clearly they don't make great life choices.
Well I do realize that iPhones have terrible cameras, after getting a selfie stick as a gag gift for Christmas, it has come in handy in many places, such as when my schools hockey team went to play at the United Center and I wanted a selfie with my friends and the ice, which the stick allowed a view of the ice with all of us in it

G00fyDad

The conductor should have just let the moron get hit by the train. :banghead:

This is proof that I no longer support South Korea in any way. They "invented" the selfie stick?!?! This is the bastion of all evil.

One less to worry about.

smh .... :facepalm:

Duh!

LOL :hilarious:

Matt_Black

my bet is on mocking them.

Yeah, look at the grins on everyone involved. They are totally taking the p... uh... PEE out of the rampant selfie takers.

Again, I am not opposed to the occasional selfie myself, as indicated by my avatar pic, but as noted above, I believe those should be for special occasions and not, "Look, I'm in the bathroom about to brush my teeth just like I do every darn day!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom