Segway Lawsuit Against Disney Thrown out of Court

The Mom

Premium Member
BTW, I'm using "Segway" as a general term for this type of vehicle, not as a brand name. Sort of like calling a tissue a Kleenex, or a turtle a tortoise...close enough. So please don't catch me on a technicality and say I was wrong (in 2028) and owe you $100 because the approved medical device has a different name and slightly (just enough to avoid a lawsuit) design than the transportation device. :lol:

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
BTW, I'm using "Segway" as a general term for this type of vehicle, not as a brand name. Sort of like calling a tissue a Kleenex, or a turtle a tortoise...close enough. So please don't catch me on a technicality and say I was wrong (in 2028) and owe you $100 because the approved medical device has a different name and slightly (just enough to avoid a lawsuit) design than the transportation device. :lol:

Don't worry Mom, in 2028 you'll be lucky if $100 buys a Dole Whip. :slurp:

This ones easy, and we'll probably see something similar in the future. Disney must prepare. These or other people will go to the park with their Segways, and demand to be allowed in with it...if not allowed....they will leave...and sue.

Or even worse. The creators of South Park will get wind of this, and write an episode where it happens. :lol:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I have to agree with everyone's favorite government conspiracy theorist on this one.

It's not a theory when there's hard evidence that has been posted in major newspapers. Just a lot of neo-conservatives in denial :)

nibblesandbits

I think the real issue here is not whether somone is diabled but the actual use of segways in the parks themselves.There is a lot more chance of accident or injury with these devices than with a standard ECV/wheelchair.Again just my 5 cents:lookaroun
I agree. I went on a Segway tour and I can see Disney's reasoning on why they don't want them allowed in the parks. If you don't have the proper training, they can be very difficult to manuver (and even after having the training, I still had a bit of trouble with mine.)

It can be extremely difficult to stop sometimes. Say for example some kid runs out in front of you. An ECV you can almost stop on a dime...a Segway however does not stop on a dime. (And it it does, you've flown off of it!) So, if that little kid ran out in front of you on a Segway, you will have probably injured that kid. I had a kid run out in front of me while on the Segway and came very close to hitting him. And that was when World Showcase wasn't really populated at all, since it had just opened. Imagine what it would be like if there were a lot of people there.

I'm not saying that disabled persons shouldn't be able to get around the parks...but as Disney stated, they do have other means that they can use. If there were no means of getting around the parks for disabled people, then I'd have a problem.

I just know as someone who's been on a Segway, I can see Disney's problem with it.

Edit:
ClemsonTigger said:
That was my initial take. Whether or not a Segway is to be considered a primary vehicle for the disabled was not touched. Dismissal was only due to the complaintants not demonstrating plans to visit the parks.

This I agree with. The reason for the dismissal didn't have anything to do with disability. That I'm kind of surprised about.

Craig & Lisa

I too had taken the EPCOT tour on the segway, and can see Disney's point of view. My question is this even with the best training you can still have an accident, and what if they fall off for some unknown reason? They need the unit to be mobile, so if they fall off they are no longer that. And the units also have a short time on a charge, so what then, they can't just go up to a CM and ask where the nearest AC outlet is to recharge. :veryconfu And just so I may get flamed before my mother-in-law passed away she had to use a wheel chair, she could not walk for long periods of time, but she had no problem standing on a line for an attraction.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

No, you wont owe me $100, merely a good bottle of CabSav. ;D

songbird

Yeah!

However, a looser pays system would fix these problems....

If something is truly frivolous, a federal judge may impose sanctions pursuant to Rule 11 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, and most states have adopted similar rules.

This case was dismissed on procedural grounds. No precedential value whatsoever. Segway can simply find three other disabled individuals to become the nomial plaintiffs in the purported class action suit.

Make no mistake, this isn't about the disabled, it's about Segway's bottom line and about making Disney pay megabucks...which will go straight to the lawyers, not to any of the disabled individuals.

CAPTAIN HOOK

I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been closed yet :eek:

While everyone is entitled to their own thoughts - this is the type of thread that causes arguments and bad feelings amongst members.

ThumpersThought

Ignoring the whole ADA debate, I know why I personally don't want to see Segways in the parks:

They're a ton of fun to ride.

That may not make sense on the surface, but -- Sure, we have people riding ECV's that don't need to. And once the novelty wears off, an able person is not going to enjoy being tied to a wheelchair. That means abuse of these is relatively low.

Imagine (if Segways were allowed) if Disney (or one of those third party ECV renters) started renting Segways? They'd be everywhere. Heck, I'd be tempted. Imagine Epcot open to close without sore feet!

Then you could also very well have the able-bodied clogging the disability queues, while those who really need it can't. And on the more humorous side, we'd have to expand all the stroller parking...

Laura

Premium Member
Back to approval of the Segway as a medical device,
the Kamen variant of it that is meant for medical use:
images

The IBOT4000 has had a difficult road in being approved...and because of that insurance companies won't/don't have to pay for it. The J&J company that sells it has a special department just to try and get some aid in it's purchase.

http://www.ibotnow.com/

If this can't make it, the standard Segway has much less of a chance.

I don't think the iBOT and the Segway are the same type of device. I think the only similarity is that they both use a computer to remain balanced and upright. I believe the iBOT is maneuvered by a joystick like any other power chair, where the Segway is maneuvered by shifting your weight.

It can be extremely difficult to stop sometimes. Say for example some kid runs out in front of you. An ECV you can almost stop on a dime...a Segway however does not stop on a dime.

That is a good point. I wonder if they could make a model with an e-brake.

I also agree with the poster who said they should be allowed, but only with a limit on the speed, and maybe some sort of Segway training certification.

And the units also have a short time on a charge, so what then, they can't just go up to a CM and ask where the nearest AC outlet is to recharge. :veryconfu

If I remember right, they will go 45 miles on a charge. By use of a pedometer, I've found that I normally will only walk about 12-15 miles per day at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom