Security splitting up families / groups at entrances

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
I am not for Disney catering to paranoid people.

Paranoid? I think it’s better customer service to let guests wait with the rest of their group if they want to.

That’s not catering to paranoid people, that’s accommodating guests wishes. If that backs up the lines, they should staff more of the tables.

correcaminos

Paranoid? I think it’s better customer service to let guests wait with the rest of their group if they want to.

That’s not catering to paranoid people, that’s accommodating guests wishes. If that backs up the lines, they should staff more of the tables.
Depends to me. The QS asking one or two people only to stand in line is acceptable if you are a larger group. Asking one to take bags so less are clogging lines is acceptable.

Telling me my grade school age child *has* to be kept from my sight line to go through bagless would not be okay. I have never once experienced that, nor have I ever seen Disney say so. They have rules on who can enter parks and my way taller than average 12 year old is simply stated as under 14 and no issue. They are in my sight line always.

I have done quite a lot with just me and my child. No one is forcing my child who is not a teen away from me. They are saying if you do not have a bag to please use the other line. If you say you cannot leave them I have never seen someone be told no.

I do think there are a few paranoid type of posts here (though at this point I couldn't name one off the top of my head). A typical teenager should be able to go through bagless without an adult hovering. If a typical teenager cannot, there's an issue TBH. Obviously disabilities aside. As someone who has traveled with severely disabled I'd say Disney is above and beyond.

Now honestly I am so tired of people trying to argue something. I'm not here to argue. If you don't like what I say move on. I'm moving on myself :)

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Now honestly I am so tired of people trying to argue something. I'm not here to argue. If you don't like what I say move on. I'm moving on myself :)

I don’t think you’re arguing, you’re discussing your view which is different than mine. That’s what a discussion board is for isn’t it?

If you don’t want to discuss it, you certainly don’t have to but if you state your opinion I may point out that I disagree with it. Is that arguing?

I will say, you and others have brought up the fact that if people can’t separate there must be an issue.... it’s not about people being incapable of separating. Neither my mom, nor me have any issue seperating. Many times we arrive at the parks at very different times and meet at all sorts of places in the park. But as we approached security casually to enter the park we were just going to enter together... that was our preference, and I was told that was not something we could do. That’s what the original post was about. It’s about customer service. It’s not about being paranoid or having “an issue”

I can see the flip side, but even then it’s putting efficiency over courtesy which was something Disney taught against when I went through the class.

correcaminos

I don’t think you’re arguing, you’re discussing your view which is different than mine. That’s what a discussion board is for isn’t it?

If you don’t want to discuss it, you certainly don’t have to but if you state your opinion I may point out that I disagree with it. Is that arguing?

I will say, you and others have brought up the fact that if people can’t separate there must be an issue.... it’s not about people being incapable of separating. Neither my mom, nor me have any issue seperating. Many times we arrive at the parks at very different times and meet at all sorts of places in the park. But as we approached security casually to enter the park we were just going to enter together... that was our preference, and I was told that was not something we could do. That’s what the original post was about. It’s about customer service. It’s not about being paranoid or having “an issue”

I can see the flip side, but even then it’s putting efficiency over courtesy which was something Disney taught against when I went through the class.
Well your tone is very much discussing unlike how I was feeling with an earlier back and forth, so I appreciate that and am happy to discuss.

What you are saying is one of those things I side with Disney. We'll have to agree to disagree on that. Let's say I prefer to stay with my husband in a QS line but if they say no I comply. Conversely when I was told to take my family member to the roped off HA area of the QS location because she could not wait in line in her wheels, I comply. Same with being told to go a certain route to enter or exit. It's about flow to me. Then again I have issues with crowds so everything they can do to help flow is good for me. Me standing in one spot on concrete is bad so anything to keep me moving is helpful. So I see it as great service for those who do not do well waiting. All about perspectives :)

I hear what you are saying of course. And I'm totally good with disagreeing respectfully too!

donsullivan

Premium Member
But at the next park you would get yelled at for trying to go around the metal detectors. The whole process needs to be consistent and there needs to be signage explaining the process.

Much like the TSA, the variations in the process are typically intentional. If they did it precisely the same way, every time at every location the Internet would tell everyone how to get around it. That is a fact that cannot be disputed. With variety in the process you do not know exactly what process to expect and are forced to pay attention and comply with the process that day.

I've been told that the reasons for the inconsistency in the intensity of bag checks relates to threats or risks they are aware of and an effort to react to that. Sometimes they have indications (I will not share how) of the potential for a problem and that may trigger heightened screening efforts.

There will ALWAYS be constantly changing variety in the security process and that is never going to change so folks just need to accept and deal with that. Disney is NEVER going to give you written instructions on how to get through security- suggesting that is kind of ridiculous. They will and do constantly adjust their procedures and intensity of review based on information they have about risks at that given time.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
There will ALWAYS be constantly changing variety in the security process and that is never going to change so folks just need to accept and deal with that. Disney is NEVER going to give you written instructions on how to get through security- suggesting that is kind of ridiculous. They will and do constantly adjust their procedures and intensity of review based on information they have about risks at that given time.

This is not true. The procedure at Disneyland is consistent and there are written instructions over-head. That’s what I want, consistency and written instructions, why do I know I want that? Because that’s what I saw Disney do!

The signs can flip to explain the current processes... you can still change the process as needed but then it’s not a guessing game as to what they want you to do like it is now.

Aren’t the procedures at Universal consistent? The last several times I’ve been at universal I went through employee entrances so I don’t even know what they do now at the gate.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
This is not true. The procedure at Disneyland is consistent and there are written instructions over-head. That’s what I want, consistency and written instructions, why do I know I want that? Because that’s what I saw Disney do!

Aren’t the procedures at Universal consistent? The last several times I’ve been at universal I went through employee entrances so I don’t even know what they do now at the gate.

It doesn't matter what is done at Disneyland this is about the security procedures at Walt Disney World. Since the day they started these procedures have always been variable and constantly changing and that is not going to change because you don't like it. Walt Disney World is a different place with different guest profile and different security risks- as a result there are different and varying procedures. The TSA has different procedures and controls at different airports and constantly changing them up as well; this is no different.

Getting relentlessly worked up over this is your own issue not Disney's. Millions of people seem to survive the variability of the process just fine every single year. All you need to do is pay attention and follow instructions and it flows very smoothly. But if you chose to make a big deal of it and complain about the process while you're experiencing it I can assure you it will become more difficult for you when going through.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
It doesn't matter what is done at Disneyland this is about the security procedures at Walt Disney World. Since the day they started these procedures have always been variable and constantly changing and that is not going to change because you don't like it. Walt Disney World is a different place with different guest profile and different security risks- as a result there are different and varying procedures. The TSA has different procedures and controls at different airports and constantly changing them up as well; this is no different.

Getting relentlessly worked up over this is your own issue not Disney's. Millions of people seem to survive the variability of the process just fine every single year. All you need to do is pay attention and follow instructions and it flows very smoothly. But if you chose to make a big deal of it and complain about the process while you're experiencing it I can assure you it will become more difficult for you when going through.

I don’t complain about any process, I always thank the Disney security guards and always approach with a smile even if I’m internally annoyed with the process. Same at tsa.

But on a discussion form I will give my opinion about what I see is a shortcoming.

If anything, I would think the visitor profile would be a bit rougher in California since anyone can enter right from harbor blvd.

TrojanUSC

Much like the TSA, the variations in the process are typically intentional. If they did it precisely the same way, every time at every location the Internet would tell everyone how to get around it. That is a fact that cannot be disputed. With variety in the process you do not know exactly what process to expect and are forced to pay attention and comply with the process that day.

I've been told that the reasons for the inconsistency in the intensity of bag checks relates to threats or risks they are aware of and an effort to react to that. Sometimes they have indications (I will not share how) of the potential for a problem and that may trigger heightened screening efforts.

There is no reason a security officer needed to feel my friend's retainer in her hand or go through someone's credit cards. That is an invasion of privacy that is not warranted when visiting a theme park. They should make sure you have no guns or bombs and send you on your way.

donsullivan

Premium Member
There is no reason a security officer needed to feel my friend's retainer in her hand or go through someone's credit cards. That is an invasion of privacy that is not warranted when visiting a theme park. They should make sure you have no guns or bombs and send you on your way.

Neither you nor I have any information about what Disney's perceived threat or risk level is on any given day in the park and therefore what they might be looking for or concerned about. I have also learned (especially on this board) that people like to grossly over dramatize things to draw attention to their manufactured plight. To some people, a bag screener opening the plastic case with the retainer to confirm what was contained is 'feeling it' or opening a wallet or whatever the container that happens to have credit cards in it is 'rifling through their credit cards'. To some people, anyone but themselves opening their bag is 'deeply offensive' no matter who it is. Some people like to just create drama where there isn't any.

Most of the time when I visit the parks I have a backpack filled with camera gear. Sometimes I get a quick cursory glance in the various compartments and then other times (like this past Sunday at Epcot) they ask me to take every single component out one at a time to look underneath them and they even looked through the little mesh bag I have with spare camera batteries. And on the very same day of that comprehensive screen of my bag, I didn't have to go through the metal detector and was on my way. I have absolutely no idea what was different on Sunday but it was different. No big deal, I did exactly what they asked and went on with my day. I made the choice to not make a huge deal and get all worked up about it and I had an enjoyable afternoon at Epcot.

nj_to_wdw

My visit in May 2017 was the first time I experienced actual security checks throughout Disney World. I found the security folks to be impersonal and slow. During my November 2019 vacation I found the security folks to be friendly and quick. My snarky guess would be that somebody reported them for trying to make the visitors feel like guests and this is the result.

correcaminos

Neither you nor I have any information about what Disney's perceived threat or risk level is on any given day in the park and therefore what they might be looking for or concerned about. I have also learned (especially on this board) that people like to grossly over dramatize things to draw attention to their manufactured plight. To some people, a bag screener opening the plastic case with the retainer to confirm what was contained is 'feeling it' or opening a wallet or whatever the container that happens to have credit cards in it is 'rifling through their credit cards'. To some people, anyone but themselves opening their bag is 'deeply offensive' no matter who it is. Some people like to just create drama where there isn't any.

Most of the time when I visit the parks I have a backpack filled with camera gear. Sometimes I get a quick cursory glance in the various compartments and then other times (like this past Sunday at Epcot) they ask me to take every single component out one at a time to look underneath them and they even looked through the little mesh bag I have with spare camera batteries. And on the very same day of that comprehensive screen of my bag, I didn't have to go through the metal detector and was ong my way. I have absolutely no idea what was different on Sunday but it was different. No big deal, I did exactly what they asked and went on with my day. I made the choice to not make a huge deal and get all worked up about it and I had an enjoyable afternoon at Epcot.
There is zero need to pull my credit cards out. Period. Sorry no threat gives them that right when they are on a holder, not a pouch.

Security theater is stupid to me. I appreciate the real security but both TSA and Disney's version of this theater is annoying at best and beyond okay at times. I also do not appreciate the comment about dramatizing this. It happened once and that was enough for me to switch to bagless.

draybook

I keep an eye on my kids and lean more toward the "paranoid" side of it. To the point that my husband's family thinks that we are too paranoid, so I get it. Plus, if you read other posts, I just posted that I won't even have a pizza delivery person come to my hotel room for safety reasons. So I am on the more safety the better side of things. But there is a difference between keeping an eye on them and not letting them leave your side for a few minutes, at WDW. They have to be out of your sight at some point in their life, school, work, going out with their friends, etc. Holding on too tight or making them feel guilty for wanting to be away from you does not end well. We are not talking about a 5 yo here. If you are at the point that having your teenager leave your sight for a few minutes is not something that you can do, then it is time for some soul searching and maybe some counseling. It is not easy to "let go" of your kids as they age. But holding on like that only hurts yourself and them. My kids are 18(almost 19) and 17.

With all due respect I to everyone here, I'll err on the side of caution, even at Disney World.

OG Runner

I’m guessing? They may only enforce it when it’s busy, I was totally surprised by it. Ive seen it this week at studios and Epcot now, although I was going in by myself at studios so it didn’t effect me at all.

I believe you are correct. I was at WDW in January and most of the time went through the same line as my girlfriend. She had a small backpack with her and I did not have a bag.

MickeyLuv'r

Neither you nor I have any information about what Disney's perceived threat or risk level is on any given day in the park and therefore what they might be looking for or concerned about.

I think maybe you are being a bit dramatic here. I think most of us know what kind of items WDW prohibits.

On my most recent visit...I was in line and the screener at the head of my line was being rather thorough. Before I got to him, a second screener arrived, and the second screener's style was vastly different. He was much less thorough, or rather, much more efficient.

Generally, I try to be observant, and many times I've noticed a slow/thorough screener beside a fast/less thorough screener at WDW. It reminds me of the grocery store check out lines.

My sense is that each screener's style has more to do with their personality than anything else. Likely their experience level also plays a role. Some are going to be better at their jobs than others.

I assume their reasons for taking the job vary as well. Some take the job for noble reasons, some take the job for less noble reasons. They are just people.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
We’ll go with that....but our experience is MANY APs are the blue ringers...

Every line I get into seems like I get behind “blue ringers.” I’m not sure where the problem is, but there is a problem somewhere if it happens this often imho.

It’s also a bit confusing when they ring blue and the cm’s at the post don’t let guests in line know what to do. I never know if I’m supposed to use the available tap point while the cm is talking to the blue ringer, or wait until the cm tells me to use it.

correcaminos

We’ll go with that....but our experience is MANY APs are the blue ringers...
We have had issues with our APs more than once. I also won't go into how my 11yo at the time forgot his MB and didn't realize until he went to scan. Thank goodness for kind CMs who got him through asap. I felt so bad for those behind us :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom