Security splitting up families / groups at entrances

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Its weird I only ever ring blue when I park hop and then the CM tries to get me to use "the right finger" and I have to explain I've used my middle finger on my right hand since June 2007 so it is the right finger lol.
In case you wonder why I use my middle finger on my right hand its because the day before I left for my trip in June 2007 my cat bit my index finger and I had to use band aids for a few days.
I know that every time you get new ticket media you can switch your finger but that finger just feels right.

donsullivan

Premium Member
As long as I book my husband and kids (one is 15) on the same reservation as myself, their boarding passes always have the precheck icon even though I am technically the only person who actually has TSA precheck. I didn’t know it wasn’t the policy!

The TSA website specifically says:

I am traveling with my family; can they also use the TSA Pre✓®lane?
Children ages 12 and younger may use the TSA Pre✓® lane when traveling with a parent or guardian who has the indicator on their boarding pass. Travelers 13 and older who do not have a TSA Pre✓® boarding pass must go through standard security lanes or apply. Before applying, TSA recommends reviewing the various DHS trusted traveler programs, such as the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI, to determine the best program for your family.

I'm curious which airline you are flying on and from which airport that they are authorized by TSA to do something inconsistent with the above stated policy. I'm also curious how often this has happened over what period of time.

Last edited:

PeoplemoverTTA

Children ages 12 and younger may use the TSA Pre✓® lane when traveling with a parent or guardian who has the indicator on their boarding pass. Travelers 13 and older who do not have a TSA Pre✓® boarding pass must go through standard security lanes or apply. Before applying, TSA recommends reviewing the various DHS trusted traveler programs, such as the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI, to determine the best program for your family.

I'm curious which airline you are flying on and from which airport that they are authorized by TSA to do something inconsistent with the above stated policy. I'm also curious how often this has happened over what period of time.

I joined TSA Precheck in 2016 and have flown 5 times with a combination of me and my husband, and kids or me and my sister, flying JetBlue or Southwest. Most recently in December. I don’t know what to tell you, but it’s been that way every time 🤷‍♀️ Flying into or out of BUF, MCO, JFK and LAX.

EDITED to fix my typo of the year I signed up for TSA Precheck because I was typing and watching TV with my husband at the same time.

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I joined TSA Precheck in 2006 and have flown 5 times with a combination of me and my husband, and kids or me and my sister, flying JetBlue or Southwest. Most recently in December. I don’t know what to tell you, but it’s been that way every time 🤷‍♀️ Flying into or out of BUF, MCO, JFK and LAX.

What if I told you that TSA Precheck didn't even exist until 2011?

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster

For me it was southwest from Nashville. Other airports as well but for sure Nashville.

I can’t remember for sure the last time it was but lately I’ve been flying solo so doesn’t apply.

correcaminos

Policy has nothing to do with getting Pre Check on the tickets though. My dad would routinely get it without paying often though when traveling with his sister who is wheelchair bound. It's not unheard of for those traveling with precheck person to have it printed on their ticket too. My 12yo has it on their ticket anytime we've flown together even though by policy they get through with me too. I will be doing precheck this year though for when the 13th bday hits.

PeoplemoverTTA

Policy has nothing to do with getting Pre Check on the tickets though. My dad would routinely get it without paying often though when traveling with his sister who is wheelchair bound. It's not unheard of for those traveling with precheck person to have it printed on their ticket too. My 12yo has it on their ticket anytime we've flown together even though by policy they get through with me too. I will be doing precheck this year though for when the 13th bday hits.

Thank you! In 13 years on these boards, I never felt like someone was accusing me of lying until I posted tonight 🤣

The first time we flew together after I signed up (I am a marketing consultant and travel a lot, so after a bad experience with TSA in Raleigh on trip I decided it was time), I warned my husband and then 13 year old they’d have to go through the regular line. I was so surprised when they had the logo on their tickets too. It’s happened every trip since.

Disney.Mike

I lived down the street from Amber Hagerman she was literaly ripped off her bike with no warning. We were in Kohls and a man probably 20 feet from us in the shoe department came up from behind and grabbed a teenage girl and picked her up screaming bloody murder and ran out of the store with her, you often times have no warning. She is all I have and if I am not comfortable with her being lost in a sea of thousands of men Disney should not force it, she is all I have, her Dad is dead and at my age I can't just have another and replace her. She is a black belt and well aware of 'Stranger Danger" and self defense, but that is not always enough.

It sounds like you need some help...

Disney.Mike

Disney SHOULD force people with no bags into the no bag line so they cant actually move people with bags through the bag check line.

I guess I'm a horrible parent for letting my kids walk 20 feet away from me through the no bag line. The entitlement and irrational fear of some people on this thread is insane... I really feel bad for her daughters future spouse

correcaminos

Thank you! In 13 years on these boards, I never felt like someone was accusing me of lying until I posted tonight 🤣

The first time we flew together after I signed up (I am a marketing consultant and travel a lot, so after a bad experience with TSA in Raleigh on trip I decided it was time), I warned my husband and then 13 year old they’d have to go through the regular line. I was so surprised when they had the logo on their tickets too. It’s happened every trip since.
I am hoping the poster just misunderstood. Unless you fly often enough with groups it's hard to know how it works. We still plan to get my 12yo pre check later this year, but like you said, the Pre Check logo has showed up on all those traveling with us. It may always happen, but I'd rather not risk it for the times the two of us travel alone.

HongKongFooy

To the "clogger theorists":
(those that think non bag holders at bag check cause delays in entering parks)

You do understand that if there is a queue to scan in at the gate area then it makes little difference in time to enter the parks if say a party of 4---one bag holder and three non bag holders--- "clogs" the bag check lines.

If there is unused/idle scanning machines while bag checking has "clogs" then your point is taken.

MickeyLuv'r

Sometimes people are randomly given the TSA-Pre Check authorization on their boarding passes. If the authorization shows up on your boarding pass, you are good to go.

Everyone should always check their boarding passes for this designation.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
That's the whole point of the no bag line. If you dont have one, thats where you go.

In the past, in both Florida and California, the no-bag line was offered as an option for guests without bags who wanted to bypass the bag check. It wasn’t a place where guests were encouraged to separate. I’ve gone through the regular “bag check” line many times in both California and Florida over the years, with it without a bag.

This is definitely an area where security has gotten more aggressive.

It’s always interesting to see both sides of the coin, many Disney regulars on this board seem to think it’s a good thing. I see it as a very unfriendly thing to do to guests as they arrive.

The TSA example... nobody forces pre-check to use pre-check. If your family doesn’t have it, you would potentially want to wait with them in the regular tsa line.

How does universal do it? I’ve not gone through regular security at universal in many years.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Simpson--Pack.jpg

MickeyLuv'r

Disney SHOULD force people with no bags into the no bag line so they cant actually move people with bags through the bag check line.

I dunno.
Perosnally, I often wish folks would pack a little lighter, and that they'd actually prepare for the bag search by putting ALL their bags on the counter and OPENING all their zipper pockets in a way that was, marginally efficient. If we all just paid attention, the line would move SO much faster! that right there would cuts the waits in half.

IME, the clueless (including those folks who don't even realize there is a no bag lane), are a FAR bigger problem than the folks who would opt to knowingly stand in line longer than they need to stand in line, and knowingly opt to punish themselves.

But really, I wish WDW would just adopt the model Universal uses. It is easy and consistent.

To me, the idea of searching "bags", but not "pockets" has always been a nonsensical random idea. I'm sure some folks are dumb enough to attempt to carry contraband in their diaper bags, but anyone with half a brain could find ways to conceal contraband in a hidden pocket or something. It isn't rocket science to find hideaway pouches and interior pocket clothing on amazon these days. Such items are also in just about every action movie made over the last 50 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom