Security splitting up families / groups at entrances

MickeyLuv'r

What’s the current universal system? If it’s easy and consistent I’m all for it!

Everyone entering via the main entrance to the parks/Citywalk puts their bags in a bin to be scanned, then everyone walks through the metal detector, and there are plenty of stations open so the process is very quick. People don't have to open their bags.

Folks coming from the hotels via walkway, use the same process via a station located by the Citywalk entrance. The process is fairly similar to the CR walkway security check.

Folks arriving via shuttle boat are screened before they board the boats. Royal Pacific and Sapphire Falls both have a full scanner. I'm not sure about Porto. When last I arrived via Porto they still did bag searches (similar to WDW) and used a scanner wand, but that was quite some time ago. The number of folks coming via Porto was rather low though, so it was also pretty quick. At worst, we had to wait for 3 people to be scanned while the boat waited for everyone.

I recently waited over 20 minutes to be screened at the entrance of Epcot. IMO, that is too slow. They didn't have nearly enough lanes open.

Conversely, if WDW feels they should have security at their parks, then they should have a security screening at Disney Springs. Otherwise, their security looks inconsistent.

I'll also add, Universal doesn't allow bags on many of their rides. So folks have to put their bags in lockers. While I don't love the locker stations, the system rewards minimizing. Lockers are free for small/modest sized bags, big lockers cost a small amount of $.

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Everyone entering via the main entrance to the parks/Citywalk puts their bags in a bin to be scanned, then everyone walks through the metal detector, and there are plenty of stations.

Folks coming from the hotels via walkway, use the same process via a station located by the Citywalk entrance. The process is fairly similar to the CR walkway security check.

Folks arriving via shuttle boat are screened before they board the boats. Royal Pacific and Sapphire Falls both have a full scanner. I'm not sure about Porto. When last I arrived via Porto they still did bag searches (similar to WDW) and used a scanner wand, but that was quite some time ago. The number of folks coming via Porto was rather low though, so it was also pretty quick. At worst, we had to wait for 3 people to be scanned while the boat waited for everyone.

I recently waited over 20 minutes to be screened at the entrance of Epcot. IMO, that is too slow. They didn't have nearly enough lanes open.

Conversely, if WDW feels they should have security at their parks, then they should have a security screening at Disney Springs. Otherwise, their security looks inconsistent.

I am no longer a fan of Universal and I really don't feel traumatized by bag check however I have to admit their security process is much better and Disney could learn something.
Its efficient and impersonal which makes it less annoying.

jaklgreen

With all due respect I to everyone here, I'll err on the side of caution, even at Disney World.

We were talking about teenagers here, not 6 year olds. My teens drive to school, work, and go out with their friends. All normal things for them to do. In your mind, you either think that they should not be able to do those things, basically be a prisoner in the home, or that the few minutes that they are in another line away from me at WDW security, is somehow a much greater risk to them then their daily life. There is a big difference between being cautious and paranoia.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
FYI this is still happening at the parks. Security says “only 1 pusher per wheelchair or stroller” ridiculous to split up groups / families at security.

So rather than splitting up bags / no bags they are splitting up those with wheel chairs and strollers.

Still no signage explaining the security process, and also no signage explaining the type of technology they are using - I guess it’s not a legal requirement for those types of scanners?

Last edited:

JS514

FYI this is still happening at the parks. Security says “only 1 pusher per wheelchair or stroller” ridiculous to split up groups / families at security.

So rather than splitting up bags / no bags they are splitting up those with wheel chairs and strollers.

Still no signage explaining the security process, and also no signage explaining the type of technology they are using - I guess it’s not a legal requirement for those types of scanners?
I really don’t see the big deal, to be honest.

There is no such thing as a bag/no bag line anymore. Everyone goes through the scanner, and pulled to the side if something sets it off.

Obviously strollers and wheelchairs cannot go through the scanner because it will always set it off and so it is dealt with separately. Do you really want them to have a family of 8 going through the stroller line and having to use a wand to check everyone? That would make the line SO much longer and more of a hassle.

Just walk through the scanner and then wait on the rest of your party, who is approximately 10 feet away from you in plain sight.

I don’t know, maybe I’m misunderstanding your post. Just don’t really understand the logic behind having an entire party stay together when it’s completely unnecessary for them to do so.

Chi84

Premium Member
I really don’t see the big deal, to be honest.

There is no such thing as a bag/no bag line anymore. Everyone goes through the scanner, and pulled to the side if something sets it off.

Obviously strollers and wheelchairs cannot go through the scanner because it will always set it off and so it is dealt with separately. Do you really want them to have a family of 8 going through the stroller line and having to use a wand to check everyone? That would make the line SO much longer and more of a hassle.

Just walk through the scanner and then wait on the rest of your party, who is approximately 10 feet away from you in plain sight.

I don’t know, maybe I’m misunderstanding your post. Just don’t really understand the logic behind having an entire party stay together when it’s completely unnecessary for them to do so.
I agree. Doesn’t the rest of the party just go through the scanner and wait on the other side? That’s what happened when I had to use a temporary transport chair recently. I wouldn’t call that being split up. I’m sure if there was some real issue where circumstances warranted it, Disney would make an exception. Otherwise why envision a problem that doesn’t exist?

JS514

The 2 are not connected. The stroller / wheelchair line should accommodate the entire group / family. They can have their own scanner.
Which park were you at?
The only security areas I can envision, the scanners were maybe 6ft away from the stroller/wheelchair line.

That said, the stroller/wheelchair line is only, and should be only, for the wheelchair and stroller and the single person who may be pushing it. I’m really trying to understand your perspective, but I cannot see what the issue could be. If you’re going to walk through a scanner while another member of your party pushes the stroller/wheelchair, why does the scanner need to be 2 feet away as opposed to 6-8ft away?

There is no need for an entire group to be together through security.

ceecee101

It’s not “a big deal” for those of us who know the parks so well. But imagine a family walking up to Disney for the first time and being told they have to separate first thing... that’s a really odd first guest experience.
I would like to know exactly what security consists of now. We haven’t been in 13 years so your post above is applicable to us. I seem to remember in those days there was a cursory check of all bags? Some bags? And that was right around where you tapped your ticket. Now there are metal detectors? And they check all bags? Can someone give me the lowdown? Thanks.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
I would like to know exactly what security consists of now. We haven’t been in 13 years so your post above is applicable to us. I seem to remember in those days there was a cursory check of all bags? Some bags? And that was right around where you tapped your ticket. Now there are metal detectors? And they check all bags? Can someone give me the lowdown? Thanks.
In Florida -

If you do not have a stroller or wheelchair all guests are directed through some type of detector. Not sure what it is - which I feel is also an issue since some people wouldn’t know what they are being directed through.

You walk through, single file and that’s it. If the detector goes off you are directed elsewhere for more screening (bag check, wand, etc.)

If you have a stroller or wheelchair that is directed through a second line. Not sure on the process of that line since it doesn’t apply to me.

ceecee101

In Florida -

If you do not have a stroller or wheelchair all guests are directed through some type of detector. Not sure what it is - which I feel is also an issue since some people wouldn’t know what they are being directed through.

You walk through, single file and that’s it. If the detector goes off you are directed elsewhere for more screening (bag check, wand, etc.)

If you have a stroller or wheelchair that is directed through a second line. Not sure on the process of that line since it doesn’t apply to me.
Thanks was talking WDW. No stroller or wheelchairs for us. is There a place like TSA that shows what isn’t allowed? We’re older now, we often use one of those portable, thin golf chairs that is like a three pronged cane that folds up for places where standing can be a problem for bad backs. We’re both in shape, hike, etc. but STANDING (like for hours, thinking something,like waiting for Fantasmic) is pretty tough. One reason we got Genie+ and will buy ILLs or skip things. Anyway thanks for the info, everything is so different now!

lazyboy97o

The wheelchair or stroller just goes immediately to the side of the scanners for a manual check. If it is being pushed the pusher quickly walks through the detectors and meets back up with the wheelchair or stroller.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
We just returned from WDW and did 11 park entry walks through security. 2 people, one with a scooter.

In every instance the security scanner was directly next to where strollers and scooters stop to be checked. Under 3 feet away. There is plenty of room at the end of the security scan area where a party can wait for stroller/ECV to catch back up before heading to the park entry tapstyle lines (10 maybe 12 feet max).

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I’m still trying to figure out the issue here, given the way WDW is set up. If you’re in a group, some of the party has to go through a scanner that’s at most a few feet away.

I mean, I love my family but being a couple feet away from them for a few minutes is generally not a problem. What do groups do when they’re split up into different cars on rides and have to meet up at the exit, or when one person orders food and the others wait nearby? What if some members of the group need to use the restroom while the others do not?

Prince-1

I’m still trying to figure out the issue here, given the way WDW is set up. If you’re in a group, some of the party has to go through a scanner that’s at most a few feet away.

I mean, I love my family but being a couple feet away from them for a few minutes is generally not a problem. What do groups do when they’re split up into different cars on rides and have to meet up at the exit, or when one person orders food and the others wait nearby? What if some members of the group need to use the restroom while the others do not?

The answer is because these days people have to find an issue with everything that Disney does. I mean if you can't separate for a few seconds from someone in your party then you have bigger issues to worry about.

Chi84

Premium Member
The answer is because these days people have to find an issue with everything that Disney does. I mean if you can't separate for a few seconds from someone in your party then you have bigger issues to worry about.
I don’t mean to be rude at all - I just honestly don’t understand why anyone would have a problem with this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom