Security splitting up families / groups at entrances

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
I’m not totally convinced letting groups stay together in the wheelchair / stroller line would change efficiency much but even if it did, it would not be a major change and I believe in courtesy > efficiency.

But I do understand the idea that security is “outside the park” and therefore it’s ok to rank efficiency first. Similar to the views of warehouse buildings “outside the park” - I 100% disagree but I can understand the logic of why bad show is ok. Kind of. Ha

LittleBuford

My point was over the dozen or so years I’ve been reading, I’ve seen this laughing emoji “rule” referenced many, many times but could never actually find said rule.
The emoji wasn't introduced until a couple of years ago; before then, all you could do was "like" a post. The rule against the emoji's misuse is even newer, and introduced only because people couldn't exercise the same sort of self-control here as they do in real life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smiley/OCD

My .02…we’ve been to WDW 15 times or so and have NEVER seen, heard or experienced a security CM “barking” orders. I use an ECV…when the 4 of us went as a family, the people without bags went thru. The ones that needed a bag check got one. I went thru a separate line, ECV was searched, I was “wanded” because I have a metal leg brace, got back on my ECV and met my family about 50 feet away BEFORE we went thru the scanner area. I just don’t know what the big deal is. Too much free time on people’s hands, and there are a few that MUST have the last word.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Too much free time on people’s hands, and there is a few that MUST have the last word.
Well you had the time to reply so you have the same amount of free time?

But thanks for your sharing your experience. I definitely wouldn’t expect any regulars to have an issue with this, for me it’s just a principal thing. Kinda like the mobile order deal, yes I CAN make a mobile order on my phone but I don’t want to be forced to do so. It should be an option and a convenience that I can choose, but I should still be able to wait in a regular line as well EVEN if that makes things less efficient.

LittleBuford

But thanks for your sharing your experience. I definitely wouldn’t expect any regulars to have an issue with this, for me it’s just a principal thing. Kinda like the mobile order deal, yes I CAN make a mobile order on my phone but I don’t want to be forced to do so. It should be an option and a convenience that I can choose, but I should still be able to wait in a regular line as well EVEN if that makes things less efficient.
Are there places that allow only mobile order?

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
There were. I think they are all back now, which is great.

I will say they have mobile order figured out in Florida WAY better than California. It’s a disaster out there and the food quality has gone down the drain. I was pleasantly surprised how WDW food service is doing!

MickeyLuv'r

There was. Casey's for one. I think it might still be MO only, or was as of a few months ago. Or at least at night it was MO only. It might have been because it was getting late.

Docking Bay 7 had one interior register open, but they really did not want people to use it. At the entrance, the CM's outside gave the impression people were only allowed to enter after they had placed a mobile order. (I did, but then I asked if I could add a drink, and one register was open.) There was a solid stream of people picking up food orders, but only one other person bought food at the register that I saw.

MickeyLuv'r

I’m not totally convinced letting groups stay together in the wheelchair / stroller line would change efficiency much but even if it did, it would not be a major change and I believe in courtesy > efficiency.

But I do understand the idea that security is “outside the park” and therefore it’s ok to rank efficiency first. Similar to the views of warehouse buildings “outside the park” - I 100% disagree but I can understand the logic of why bad show is ok. Kind of. Ha
Universal doesn't tend to split up families when they do security, though people entering via the hotel boat launches/walking paths are encouraged to move forward after they are screened. (if one family member is held up behind them) That would still only be a matter of a few feet. WDW's new sensors are better than before, but Universal's screening is much better than the prior WDW bag check.

WDW has options. Maybe you could/should suggest a solution direct to WDW to consider a different system.

Mostly I'm just thinking WDW is more likely to consider a change if you can frame your concern as a way they can improve/meet the needs of their customers and offer a constructive suggestion for what you are seeking. Not that they will necessarily implement it, but offering up a 'solution' is more likely to be well received over a complaint.

Perhaps we can help if you can tell us more directly how you think the system could be improved.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Docking Bay 7 had one interior register open, but they really did not want people to use it. At the entrance, the CM's outside gave the impression people were only allowed to enter after they had placed a mobile order.
I had a similar experience at the Canteen in Avatar World. I wasn’t totally sure if that was a policy or just that CM being confused but I was eventually allowed inside to place the order.
Perhaps we can help if you can tell us more directly how you think the system could be improved.
For a start, I think they need a non-Security CM on the mic directing and welcoming guests. This CM does not report to, or take orders from security. They are there specifically to welcome guests, explain the entrance lines and create a magical start to the day.

Next, as a policy groups and families should not be asked to split up.

And finally, guests should not be rushed through. Courtesy over efficiency. If you need to open an additional lane so you don’t have to rush people, do that. There is plenty of space.

That would be my suggestion if I was hired as a consultant. :)

Smiley/OCD

Well, let’s see, I’ve made 1 (now 2) comments and I’m not going to even count the responses you’ve made because I don’t have that much free time so I think we have a winner…

jaklgreen

The only people who have complained about it have seen it in person I believe.

What you are describing is not really accurate either, yes they are “right next to each other” but when it’s busy the lines are going at 2 very different paces and families / groups would be separated for 5 minutes or so.
I don't think that is accurate either. And it is not as if the family that is going through the faster line, can't just hold back a bit so that you can go through at approximately the same time. This isn't the airport with TSA telling you were to go and what to do.

CntrlFlPete

I don't think that is accurate either. And it is not as if the family that is going through the faster line, can't just hold back a bit so that you can go through at approximately the same time. This isn't the airport with TSA telling you were to go and what to do.

yes, this is something I was not sure how to articulate. I find the setup rather easy to allow folks to keep going in the 'fast lane' while others slow to stay w/ ones in the 'may need more time lane' -- my experience has been that it is easy to stay together -- I will say though, if someone is pulled for additional screening, the rest of the party will need to go past security and just wait there (at no time are you that close to the 'turnstiles' at the entrance while getting screened).

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I find it very interesting how bothered you are that I brought this issue up. For something “stupid and petty” you’ve devoted alot of time to this thread “laughing” at almost ever one of my posts.
Well, don't get upset, but when we go thru security at Disney, we put as much as we need into the pockets of our cargo shorts.

Then, as we breeze thru the "no-bags" line, we turn and snicker at the huge line of people who apparently packed their entire house for a 6-hour foray into the parks.

unmitigated disaster

Well, don't get upset, but when we go thru security at Disney, we put as much as we need into the pockets of our cargo shorts.

Then, as we breeze thru the "no-bags" line, we turn and snicker at the huge line of people who apparently packed their entire house for a 6-hour foray into the parks.
Back in 2017 or so my father and I spent some time speculating what on earth the young couple with the stuffed to the gills ginormous backpacks were carrying with them at Disney World. Dad finally suggested tents and sleeping bags so they could save money by camping in the parking lots and we went with that.

The last few times dad and I picked out a meeting place and he went through the no bag line and I went through the bag line. Worked like a charm.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
That depends on how busy the entrance is. Honestly the TSA are usually pretty chill after you go through the detector.

plutofan15

Back in 2017 or so my father and I spent some time speculating what on earth the young couple with the stuffed to the gills ginormous backpacks were carrying with them at Disney World. Dad finally suggested tents and sleeping bags so they could save money by camping in the parking lots and we went with that.

The last few times dad and I picked out a meeting place and he went through the no bag line and I went through the bag line. Worked like a charm.

The family and I did the same thing. Those of us with bags - usually my wife and teenage daughter - went through the bag line and my son and I went through the no bag line. Met up a very short distance away and continued on our way. It was both courteous and efficient.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom