Security splitting up families / groups at entrances

plutofan15

Well “the problem” isn’t theoretical - but I do understand why many regulars dismiss it as not a problem. It has in no way affected me in the slightest other than I don't like Mickey mouse cops barking orders at me. But I've been told in this thread that Disney security shouldn't be friendly.
Your lack of respect for those providing security and safety to you is sad. It doesn't matter the shape of the badge. Hope you never run into a situation where you need the help of these "Mickey Mouse cops". Seems that you are the one with the issue here.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Well “the problem” isn’t theoretical - but I do understand why many regulars dismiss it as not a problem. It has in no way affected me in the slightest other than I don't like Mickey mouse cops barking orders at me. But I've been told in this thread that Disney security shouldn't be friendly.
Disney Security is there solely for the purposes of administering and maintaining the security protocols Disney has defined for their private property, not to make you 'comfortable'. In a world where every guest seems to feel they are entitled to get everything exactly how they want it, yes they get frustrated. The best way to defeat a security system is to create confusion and having one consistent process that applies to everyone (whether they like it or not) reduces the risk of that.

When people 'refuse' to follow simple instructions because they decide the instructions don't apply to them the Security staff are forced to 'bark' orders because guests don't pay attention to their instructions. Disney moves millions of people through these checkpoints every year, they are likely far more qualified to know what works consistently than you are.

but when it’s busy the lines are going at 2 very different paces and families / groups would be separated for 5 minutes or so.

that right there is sufficient grounds for a grievance.

I'm not saying it's a serious Disney shortcoming but TrainsofDisney has reasonable standing for a complaint. Clearing customs and immigration Disney style should be done as a single family(party) unit.

LittleBuford

I'm not saying it's a serious Disney shortcoming but TrainsofDisney has reasonable standing for a complaint. Clearing customs and immigration Disney style should be done as a single family(party) unit.
But insisting on this would adversely affect efficiency and increase the wait time for everyone. Unless the majority of people feel the way you do—and there’s no evidence of that in this thread—there is no reason for Disney to follow some idealistic notion of family unity just because it’s nice in principle.

LittleBuford

how can you be so sure about that??

I'd like to see it tested by someone in operations mgt specifically one who is gifted in queue theory.
I can’t be sure—none of us can without actual data—but if significant numbers of people had an issue with it, I would think that we would be seeing arguments at security on a routine basis. In none of my visits have I ever seen anyone react badly to being momentarily separated from their group. Nor has any such incident been reported in this thread, even by those opposed to Disney’s current approach.

In an ideal (Disney) world, one’s whole group could go through together without slowing down the process. Indeed, in an ideal world, we wouldn’t need to go through security to begin with. But in the real world, safety and efficiency matter more than Disney magic where security is concerned. The quicker we can enter the parks and leave the real world behind us—and yes, security necessarily belongs to the real world—the better. The kind of system you’re advocating would keep us waiting longer for no good reason.

LittleBuford

So you agree it would be ideal for a group not to be split up?

Asking Disney to create a system that is ideal seems reasonable to me.
I edited my language a little as you were replying. Here’s my current wording, with the most important sentences bolded:

In an ideal (Disney) world, one’s whole group could go through together without slowing down the process. Indeed, in an ideal world, we wouldn’t need to go through security to begin with. But in the real world, safety and efficiency matter more than Disney magic where security is concerned. The quicker we can enter the parks and leave the real world behind us—and yes, security necessarily belongs to the real world—the better.

There are many things that are ideal but impracticable. To my mind, Disney already does a good job of making the security experience smooth, hassle-free, and friendly. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect them to aspire to some unworkable ideal.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect them to aspire to some unworkable ideal.
It’s certainly not unworkable to allow groups to stay together.

For the record, I also prefer the Disneyland turn styles vs. WDW tap. The focus seems to be on efficiency over courtesy.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
It’s unworkable—or at least detrimental to the greater good—if it causes longer waits for everyone else. As others have said, groups that insist on staying together can probably request to do so.
Well there would be multiple options, but with the proper set up and implementation I think it would be a more welcoming experience for all with no significant delays to anyone.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Lol no it isn't.

"Disney allows bagless people to go through quickly instead of making them stand in a longer, slower line" is the most bizarre complaint I've ever heard.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
There are some very stupid and petty things people complain about and this would be near the top of the list.
I find it very interesting how bothered you are that I brought this issue up. For something “stupid and petty” you’ve devoted alot of time to this thread “laughing” at almost ever one of my posts.

LittleBuford

I find it very interesting how bothered you are that I brought this issue up. For something “stupid and petty” you’ve devoted alot of time to this thread “laughing” at almost ever one of my posts.
I don’t agree with your stance in this thread, but I agree that people shouldn’t be laughing snidely at others’ posts. It’s uncalled for, not to mention against forum rules.

plutofan15

Not bothered by this at all. I find it ludicrous that someone is so bothered by the fact that they are trying to get people through security as quickly and efficiently as possible that they revive a thread from over two years ago. I do find it humorous thus the laughing emoji that seems to bother you. In all honesty I guess something does bother me is your bashing of the people providing safety and security at park entrances. I hope you never are in a situation where you need these Mickey Mouse cops.

LittleBuford

I do find it humorous thus the laughing emoji that seems to bother you.
It’s against forum rules, and for good reason. One of the things I really like about this forum is that the discussions it hosts remain, for the most part, civil, and that’s in large part because the moderators actually care about enforcing the rules we all sign up to when we join. @TrainsOfDisney has said almost nothing in this thread I agree with, and I’ve made that very clear, but he’s never responded to me with rudeness, and nor does he have to in order to get his point across.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom