Security splitting up families / groups at entrances

LittleBuford

Oh sorry. I wasn't saying that was a problem really. Obviously everyone gets reunited.

The “problem” is splitting up families / guests by only allowing “1 pusher per stroller or wheelchair” in the wheelchair / stroller line.
I suppose I don’t see that as a problem in itself. I would think that those who can’t separate (or who really would prefer not to) would be allowed to stay together.

Chi84

Premium Member
Count me among those struggling to understand the issue. I get that the parks are crowded and it’s easy to lose sight of your party for a second, but (unless I’ve missed it) no-one here has reported actually finding themselves unable to rejoin their group quickly and easily on the other side. The problem seems theoretical rather than actual.
It's not a problem at all as far as I can tell. I had to temporarily use a transport chair last April. WDW is probably trying to improve the experience for those in mobility devices by not making them slowly inch up the line behind someone else's party of 11.

The mobility device/stroller lines move more slowly because, in many cases, people in mobility devices are able to get out and walk the short distance through the scanner while a security officer stands by the wheelchair/scooter. They then return to the device and get back in, which takes a bit more time than the hordes moving through the regular scanners.

What WDW is doing makes perfect sense, reduces the wait for everyone including those who need to use that particular line, and works just fine. The mobility device/stroller people have a shorter (but slower) line while the other 10 people in the party move quickly through the other scanner. Everyone moves through more quickly.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

Oh sorry. I wasn't saying that was a problem really. Obviously everyone gets reunited.

The “problem” is splitting up families / guests by only allowing “1 pusher per stroller or wheelchair” in the wheelchair / stroller line.
I think that people that have not seen the set up, are making this out to be a waaay bigger issue than it is. They lines are literally right next to each other. So the wheelchair person and the pusher are only a few feet away from the people going through the scanner. I think some are envisioning it to be more like the airport, where things are separated more, but that is not the case. I suggest that anyone who is concerned to find a video on You Tube. I know there has to be some out there that show the set up of the security area. This truly is a non issue.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
I think that people that have not seen the set up, are making this out to be a waaay bigger issue than it is.
The only people who have complained about it have seen it in person I believe.

What you are describing is not really accurate either, yes they are “right next to each other” but when it’s busy the lines are going at 2 very different paces and families / groups would be separated for 5 minutes or so.

dreday3

Are they sending a toddler or a small child off on their own into a sea of people while the parent goes to a security check? Someone who can't be without an adult for a few minutes?
If not, sorry, I personally don't have an issue with being separated from my family for a few moments. I often welcome it.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
If not, sorry, I personally don't have an issue with being separated from my family for a few moments. I often welcome it.
And I totally understand that. As a “regular” at Disney it’s easy and yes even welcome to split up sometimes.

But I’m thinking of families that are expecting to arrive at the park and enter together - it seems strange to force them to split up to go through security - this isn’t something that I’ve seen anywhere else.

Chi84

Premium Member
Are they sending a toddler or a small child off on their own into a sea of people while the parent goes to a security check? Someone who can't be without an adult for a few minutes?
Of course that's not happening. As I said in an earlier post, the new gate security procedure gets everyone through more quickly. It makes sense to have a greater number of people moving through a faster line while a smaller number moves through a slower line. Gone are the days where you have to guess which line to get into based on who's in front of you. (I once got in a bag line at AK behind a guy who apparently thought he was packing for a real two-week safari.)

I can only speak to my own experience, but we visit often as a family and this does not appear to be an actual problem. In fact, if you go through this resurrected thread you will find no account of anyone who has had a problem meeting up with their family and no descriptions of hostile or unwelcoming security personnel. At most, this procedure "seems strange" to someone who hasn't seen it elsewhere.

My guess is that the vast majority of people would choose a system that gets them to the park gate faster even if it's one that isn't used in other places.

If there truly is a reason a group doesn't want to be separated for even the shortest time and distance, I'm sure they could explain it to a security officer (they can't all be barking at the same time), and they would be accommodated. I've always said that Disney has two theoretical solutions for every hypothetical problem raised on these boards.

Jrb1979

And I totally understand that. As a “regular” at Disney it’s easy and yes even welcome to split up sometimes.

But I’m thinking of families that are expecting to arrive at the park and enter together - it seems strange to force them to split up to go through security - this isn’t something that I’ve seen anywhere else.
I've seen happen at multiple parks. Most have a separate queue for strollers and wheel chairs.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Could you clarify what this expectation would be based on and why it might matter so much to the families in question? Is it a practical thing, or more to do with the emotional experience of entering a Disney park?
Practical.
I'm taking about security. I've been to 4 regional parks this year and they all seperated my wife and stroller and my step son and me.
Interesting - I’ve never seen it but have only been to Disneyland and Knott’s this year.

plutofan15

Maybe it would be equivalent if the queue was all of 20’ long. It’s a problem when security tells groups to keep moving away but it’s generally not that much of an issue.
In all the times I have gone to Disney, I have never been told by and security to keep moving away. Even when bag checks were a thing, my wife and I would split up. One go through with the stroller ( when we used one) and bags and the other went to the no bag line. Never had an issue. As others have said, this seems to be making something out of nothins.

plutofan15

I made it very clear that I don’t like the tone and the attitude that the WDW Security has… that is part of my complaint. Many of them have that “we are in control cause we have a badge” attitude.

I’m not sure how it’s such a hard concept to grasp… groups and families typically want to stay together at the entrance of a Disney park… to be told they must separate into 2 different lines is very odd to me. I can’t think of another place in all of WDW where this happens, and it doesn’t happen at Disneyland.
They are in charge of security, not sure how it's a hard concept to grasp.

plutofan15

That attitude should not be exhibited at the entrance to a Disney park and it’s literally a Mickey Mouse badge.
Seems to me that you could be the one with an attitude. Many of these Mickey Mouse badge wearers are retired police officers or from other areas of law enforcement. They are there to provide security and to ensure your safety. With the large number of people trying to get into the park and the seemingly increasing amount of people either unable or choosing not to follow directions, security does at times have to be more strict. Afterall, they are trying to get as many people safely through the checkpoints as quickly as possible so that they can go and enjoy their magical day.

plutofan15

A hostile and escalatory attitude is not at all the baseline level of appropriate. On can be firm and direct while still being pleasant.
I have never seen a hostile or escalatory attitude at park entrances. Not saying that it doesn't rarely happen but I have never seen it in my many entrances to the parks.

plutofan15

So when the security officers (most of whom are retired or still active law enforcement officers) are scanning for potential threats and weapons, you want them to smile more so you get more warm and fuzzies just because it’s Disney? I’m seriously interested in this concept.

You do understand that just because it’s Disney doesn’t make it any safer or less of a threat in general. The number of escalating incidents and weapons is an indication of this. People do bad things everywhere, every day. Disney is no different. The officers are there to try to keep this to a minimum.

Disney presents a consistent security presence with officers everywhere. Some would call this a security theater, but hopefully, it serves as a deterrent for people who behave badly or do bad things. People have a presumption that the Disney bubble is safe, free from crime and other negative behaviors, and don’t want anything to interfere with their magical happy place. The fact is, that’s not true. But, Disney does do what they can to at least dissuade bed behaviors but as we know, people will do what they want, even given laws, expectations, consequences, etc.

Expecting Disney law/safety enforcement to be less serious, focused, stern or whatever you want to call it simply because it’s a Disney would pose a threat to all.

You never know if it’s the guy in front of you or behind you in line who just so happens to “forget“ that he has a weapon on his hip and a few dozen rounds in his backpack. I assure you, you would not be caring whether or not security was smiling and warm when they handle that situation swiftly.
This 100%. Well said!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom