Security splitting up families / groups at entrances

Kamikaze

I had a similar experience at the Canteen in Avatar World. I wasn’t totally sure if that was a policy or just that CM being confused but I was eventually allowed inside to place the order.

For a start, I think they need a non-Security CM on the mic directing and welcoming guests. This CM does not report to, or take orders from security. They are there specifically to welcome guests, explain the entrance lines and create a magical start to the day.

Next, as a policy groups and families should not be asked to split up.

And finally, guests should not be rushed through. Courtesy over efficiency. If you need to open an additional lane so you don’t have to rush people, do that. There is plenty of space.

That would be my suggestion if I was hired as a consultant. :)
Safety before both. And anything with security checkpoints obviously safety is the primary issue.

MickeyLuv'r

Well, don't get upset, but when we go thru security at Disney, we put as much as we need into the pockets of our cargo shorts.

Then, as we breeze thru the "no-bags" line, we turn and snicker at the huge line of people who apparently packed their entire house for a 6-hour foray into the parks.
WDW has new advanced scanners, they no longer have the bag/no bag lines.

They now have advanced scanners. Even with a bag, you just walk right through. Though truth be told, if your cargo short pockets are full, you are more likely to get asked to visit the secondary screening. Security also tells everyone they should take umbrellas out of their bags and hold them out in front. Umbrellas and some similar metal objects set off the new scanners, but it is okay if the person holds them out in front.

People are used to having to stop for the scanners, that is why they tell people to keep moving. Most people just walk right through.

The only people now separated AT the scanners are those with a wheelchair/stroller. If you set of the scanners, you are ALSO detained. Usually off to the right. Then you have to clear your pockets and wait to get scanned with a wand.

In the meantime, people who have successfully cleared security walk away, so there is a STREAM of people moving through. that is how/where people get split up.

If you enter with a small child (not detained), but you are detained, those who clear security are pressured to keep walking. A child might walk some distance before they realized mom/dad was not right behind them. That could be upsetting for a small child or someone with a (cognitive) disability.

Mostly it worked fine for us, but once someone in our party was detained for secondary scanning. I'm not sure how to say, but if you are cleared, guards do not allow you to join the person that was asked to do secondary scanning. For most adults, that is fine, but it could be upsetting for many.

MickeyLuv'r

I have never seen a hostile or escalatory attitude at park entrances. Not saying that it doesn't rarely happen but I have never seen it in my many entrances to the parks.
Alas though, in the last 5 years, we have all seen clear video evidence that we are all profiled from time to time. Sometimes it works in our favor, sometimes it works against us. I don't know the OP in person, but is it impossible to think some WDW guards could be biased?

I saw this first hand some years ago. A member of my extended family suffered a severe horseback riding accident, and broke a hip. This was someone who was very healthy, and happened to look a solid ten years younger than age 50. Our WDW visit was just a few weeks post-surgery.

Many CM's assumed she faked the need for a scooter. It was pretty crazy. Some of the CM's were even openly nasty to her.

CM's and security are human. For the most part, they try to be friendly and kind, but I have seen plenty of times where they are not nearly as nice as they could be.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
WDW has new advanced scanners, they no longer have the bag/no bag lines.

They now have advanced scanners. Even with a bag, you just walk right through. Though truth be told, if your cargo short pockets are full, you are more likely to get asked to visit the secondary screening. Security also tells everyone they should take umbrellas out of their bags and hold them out in front. Umbrellas and some similar metal objects set off the new scanners, but it is okay if the person holds them out in front.

People are used to having to stop for the scanners, that is why they tell people to keep moving. Most people just walk right through.

The only people now separated AT the scanners are those with a wheelchair/stroller. If you set of the scanners, you are ALSO detained. Usually off to the right. Then you have to clear your pockets and wait to get scanned with a wand.

In the meantime, people who have successfully cleared security walk away, so there is a STREAM of people moving through. that is how/where people get split up.

If you enter with a small child (not detained), but you are detained, those who clear security are pressured to keep walking. A child might walk some distance before they realized mom/dad was not right behind them. That could be upsetting for a small child or someone with a (cognitive) disability.

Mostly it worked fine for us, but once someone in our party was detained for secondary scanning. I'm not sure how to say, but if you are cleared, guards do not allow you to join the person that was asked to do secondary scanning. For most adults, that is fine, but it could be upsetting for many.
Well now -- I had heard they had the scanners at DS, but I'm glad to hear they're at the parks as well.

I'm surprised Bob hasn't monetized the upgrade in security screening.

Smiley/OCD

Well now -- I had heard they had the scanners at DS, but I'm glad to hear they're at the parks as well.

I'm surprised Bob hasn't monetized the upgrade in security screening.
Coming soon…all new magic bands will have E-Z Pass installed and overhead readers at the security gates…but Chappie said there won’t be any volume, weekday discounts…damn, I was all set making my NJ tag into a cool necklace…

heapster411

Before our trip last year, the DW had a pacemaker put in. So, going thru the screening, she would inform them, and they would pull her aside and wand her. Me, on the other had would just go thru the scanners and meet her on the other side. Funny thing, on the third day I just happened to get something out of my pants pocket, and I found out that I have been carrying around my Drop Blade knife the whole time. Security never mentioned seeing it on the scanner. Go figure, thinking my DW was trying to smuggle a pacemaker into the parks and I had a weapon.

Gillyanne

Security also tells everyone they should take umbrellas out of their bags and hold them out in front. Umbrellas and some similar metal objects set off the new scanners, but it is okay if the person holds them out in front.
Just noting if anyone is curious; from what I can understand, the reason you hold them out, is b/c if any part of the little square on the scanner (that indicates a no no) also encompasses something else, then the something else would still need to be searched. Once I went through where I left my backpack on my front (after digging out my umbrella, so it was also easier to put back) and apparently didn't hold the umbrella out far enough; so the lil square also caught part of the bag and I got pulled aside to check.

James J

In the Parks
No
Just noting if anyone is curious; from what I can understand, the reason you hold them out, is b/c if any part of the little square on the scanner (that indicates a no no) also encompasses something else, then the something else would still need to be searched. Once I went through where I left my backpack on my front (after digging out my umbrella, so it was also easier to put back) and apparently didn't hold the umbrella out far enough; so the lil square also caught part of the bag and I got pulled aside to check.
The things of ours that Security were very helpful in pointing out were going to alert the scanner after our first attempt going through were phones, a portable charger and a sunglasses case. Held them above our heads after that and didn't have an issue for the rest of our trip.

BobPar

Lets really get controversial here… umbrellas should not be allowed in parks… was there this summer during rainy season & felt like we were dodging them all day long nearly get our eyes poked out bc people using them pretty much either are unaware or just dont care about others…

dreday3

Lets really get controversial here… umbrellas should not be allowed in parks… was there this summer during rainy season & felt like we were dodging them all day long nearly get our eyes poked out bc people using them pretty much either are unaware or just dont care about others…

I will be controversial with you today.

I agree. We kept getting knocked in the head by them in Epcot last year. I don't recall seeing so many umbrellas in years past.

Slap on an ugly poncho with the rest of us! :)

BobPar

I will be controversial with you today.

I agree. We kept getting knocked in the head by them in Epcot last year. I don't recall seeing so many umbrellas in years past.

Slap on an ugly poncho with the rest of us! :)
Hahahah exactly or just get wet it was 90 degrees out and we were dry in no time lol

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
The things of ours that Security were very helpful in pointing out were going to alert the scanner after our first attempt going through were phones, a portable charger and a sunglasses case. Held them above our heads after that and didn't have an issue for the rest of our trip.
Interesting... No one said a word about this and I had my iPhone and iphone charger in my pockets and it never set anything off.

thomas998

I’ve seen this at both Epcot and studios, security is now forcing guests without bags to use the no-bag line. I have a big problem with this. This morning for example going into Epcot I was forced to separate from my mom... we should be able to wait together if we want, it makes for a calmer entrance for us. I can’t imagine families would like to be separated first thing in the morning.... I also noticed half of the bag check lines were closed so I’m guessing this is to reduce security staffing?

Just to be clear... I was told by security that I had to use the no bag line. There was no option. Obviously I wasn’t gonna argue with them, not worth that to ruin a Disney day, but I really don’t like this.
If a person told you to stand on train tracks would you do it? Just tell them no, we aren't separating. Just because someone tells you to do something doesn't mean you have to.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
If a person told you to stand on train tracks would you do it? Just tell them no, we aren't separating. Just because someone tells you to do something doesn't mean you have to.
So you’re suggesting I shouldn’t follow the directions given by Disney CM’s?

Chi84

Premium Member
I think if you would have POLITELY said to the security person “I’m with my elderly mother and she would really feel more comfortable if we stayed together”, I would be shocked if they didn’t acquiesce
As long as you weren't being overtly rude or belligerent, I would be shocked if they didn't acquiesce. They follow set procedures to be consistent and efficient, not to needlessly upset guests who have valid requests.

thomas998

So you’re suggesting I shouldn’t follow the directions given by Disney CM’s?
I'm suggesting you do what you think it right regardless of what a cheap rent-a-cop says. If they told you to leave your 4 year old to wait in a dark alley by them self while you went to the bathroom would you happily do it? Just because someone tells you to do something doesn't mean you have to or even should listen to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom