Security splitting up families / groups at entrances

MissingDisney

So when the security officers (most of whom are retired or still active law enforcement officers) are scanning for potential threats and weapons, you want them to smile more so you get more warm and fuzzies just because it’s Disney? I’m seriously interested in this concept.

You do understand that just because it’s Disney doesn’t make it any safer or less of a threat in general. The number of escalating incidents and weapons is an indication of this. People do bad things everywhere, every day. Disney is no different. The officers are there to try to keep this to a minimum.

Disney presents a consistent security presence with officers everywhere. Some would call this a security theater, but hopefully, it serves as a deterrent for people who behave badly or do bad things. People have a presumption that the Disney bubble is safe, free from crime and other negative behaviors, and don’t want anything to interfere with their magical happy place. The fact is, that’s not true. But, Disney does do what they can to at least dissuade bed behaviors but as we know, people will do what they want, even given laws, expectations, consequences, etc.

Expecting Disney law/safety enforcement to be less serious, focused, stern or whatever you want to call it simply because it’s a Disney would pose a threat to all.

You never know if it’s the guy in front of you or behind you in line who just so happens to “forget“ that he has a weapon on his hip and a few dozen rounds in his backpack. I assure you, you would not be caring whether or not security was smiling and warm when they handle that situation swiftly.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Expecting Disney law/safety enforcement to be less serious, focused, stern or whatever you want to call it simply because it’s a Disney would pose a threat to all.
I guess Disneyland Security is a threat to all then. They are very friendly and frequently chat / make jokes and then welcome you or say “thank you.”

And yes, I absolutely expect the Disney security to be as friendly and welcoming as all other Disney CM’s. If they can’t be friendly and do a good job, they need to find employment elsewhere.

MissingDisney

I guess Disneyland Security is a threat to all then. They are very friendly and frequently chat / make jokes and then welcome you or say “thank you.”

And yes, I absolutely expect the Disney security to be as friendly and welcoming as all other Disney CM’s. If they can’t be friendly and do a good job, they need to find employment elsewhere.
Keep contradicting yourself. You have complained in several threads and posts that Disney security is not friendly. So are you saying they are friendly or they are not?

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Keep contradicting yourself. You have complained in several threads and posts that Disney security is not friendly. So are you saying they are friendly or they are not?
Disneyland Security is friendly.
*(friendly is anecdotal of course, what is not anecdotal is that Disneyland Security does not split up groups or families in any way and every guest is screened and treated the exact same way).

nickys

Premium Member
Even the airport doesn't do this, why does an amusement park need to? Hint: They don't. Not at all.

And how does that work when you travel with a group? You all have to go through the scanner separately. Even a 5 year old has to go into the scanner and stand on the right spot and raise their arms etc just like everyone else. And anyone travelling alone with kids has to decide whether to go through first or let them go through ahead of you.

So yes, you do get separated and actually for longer. And even though the security personnel will tell the children to wait, if a child wanders off there is an inherent risk. Much more so IMO than at a Disney park,

Not only that but I’m pretty sure if there really is a necessity for the child to stay with a parent they will be allowed to. “Excuse me, my child is autistic and can wander off, can I please bring her with me?” is almost certainly going to get a “yes of course” response.

Chi84

Premium Member
And how does that work when you travel with a group? You all have to go through the scanner separately. Even a 5 year old has to go into the scanner and stand on the right spot and raise their arms etc just like everyone else. And anyone travelling alone with kids has to decide whether to go through first or let them go through ahead of you.

So yes, you do get separated and actually for longer. And even though the security personnel will tell the children to wait, if a child wanders off there is an inherent risk. Much more so IMO than at a Disney park,

Not only that but I’m pretty sure if there really is a necessity for the child to stay with a parent they will be allowed to. “Excuse me, my child is autistic and can wander off, can I please bring her with me?” is almost certainly going to get a “yes of course” response.
Trust me, there's nothing to see here.

Prince-1

Almost all of the security at the WDW parks that I have come across have been very friendly and courteous. Now that does not mean that there are some guards that are more serious and lacking some niceties but I would guarantee that not all the security people at Disneyland are sprinkled with Pixie Dust before their shifts.

And I do not expect the Disney security to be as friendly and welcoming as the CM who sells me my overpriced limited edition popcorn bucket or the CM who tells me that there are no glory holes in any of the bathrooms (old thread on here!! ;) ) when I repeatedly ask...for a friend. Sorry, but these people are doing a very specific job to keep everyone safe (and please save the security theater drivel) and I can overlook any seriousness from them.

jloucks

Trust me, there's nothing to see here.

I don't think you are aware of the experience some of us are describing at WDW

This is not at all the same thing as you see at...
  • Airports
  • Cruise Terminals
  • Concert Venues
  • State Fairs
  • Anyplace
It is as follows...
  • You, your spouse, and your multiple kids get in a line to enter the park.
  • The entry area is packed, people everywhere, very chaotic and unpleasant
  • At some random point, a park guard will pull half of your party into another different line for deep inspection.
  • They will bark orders that the other half of the party "move along" into the sea of people
  • Moving along will result in loss of line of sight, essentially rendering the parties completely separated
  • The only solution is to come up with an alternate meeting point to rejoin your party
  • Alternate solutions are unnecessary
But I get it, you have not been personally separated from your party to the point finding them again took effort. ...or you are ok with being forced to put in the effort.

I am not, and that is ok.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
  • Airports
  • Cruise Terminals
  • Concert Venues
  • State Fairs
  • Anyplace
Add to that list - the Disneyland Resort.

Which is my point, this is not done anywhere else. It’s also rather confusing and disorienting since no one would expect to have their family separated first thing at the park entrance. Add to that the number of guests visiting who have various disabilities and language barriers and it just adds confusion.

Add to that the way that the CM’s (note they are still CAST MEMBERS should behave as such - period - no question) bark orders and it’s just such a terrible way to be welcomed to a park.

CntrlFlPete

I don't think you are aware of the experience some of us are describing at WDW

• Airports
  • Cruise Terminals
  • Concert Venues
  • State Fairs
  • Anyplace
It is as follows...
  • You, your spouse, and your multiple kids get in a line to enter the park.
  • The entry area is packed, people everywhere, very chaotic and unpleasant
  • At some random point, a park guard will pull half of your party into another different line for deep inspection.
  • They will bark orders that the other half of the party "move along" into the sea of people
  • Moving along will result in loss of line of sight, essentially rendering the parties completely separated
  • The only solution is to come up with an alternate meeting point to rejoin your party
  • Alternate solutions are unnecessary
But I get it, you have not been personally separated from your party to the point finding them again took effort. ...or you are ok with being forced to put in the effort.

I am not, and that is ok.

if you set something off at the airport, the TSA takes your whole for further inspection?

what you seem to be describing is when the scanners detect something a screener feels need a closer look -- just the person whose bag is in question is sent to a line where bags are checked visually -- I can't think of any good reason to have the whole party go to secondary screening -- I still think the TSA only cares about the one who set of an alarm and they would separate them from you as well.

I have heard others talk about scooters/wheelchairs. My experience there is that they are sent down a line (the person needing assistance and ONE person from their party) that comes to the same scanner the rest of the family walks through, they are just off to the side where they are giving a choice to walk through the scanner w/ their bag or they can be wanded while the ONE person with them will carry the bag through the scanner.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
what you seem to be describing is when the scanners detect something a screener feels need a closer look -- just the person whose bag is in question is sent to a line where bags are checked visually -- I can't think of any good reason to have the whole party go to secondary screening
That’s another issue with the current Florida version. 1 member of your group being pulled away from the group while everyone else is told “keep walking forward.”

LittleBuford

Count me among those struggling to understand the issue. I get that the parks are crowded and it’s easy to lose sight of your party for a second, but (unless I’ve missed it) no-one here has reported actually finding themselves unable to rejoin their group quickly and easily on the other side. The problem seems theoretical rather than actual.

jloucks

if you set something off at the airport, the TSA takes your whole for further inspection?

what you seem to be describing is when the scanners detect something a screener feels need a closer look -- just the person whose bag is in question is sent to a line where bags are checked visually -- I can't think of any good reason to have the whole party go to secondary screening -- I still think the TSA only cares about the one who set of an alarm and they would separate them from you as well.

I have heard others talk about scooters/wheelchairs. My experience there is that they are sent down a line (the person needing assistance and ONE person from their party) that comes to the same scanner the rest of the family walks through, they are just off to the side where they are giving a choice to walk through the scanner w/ their bag or they can be wanded while the ONE person with them will carry the bag through the scanner.

Coming back from WDW one trip I had this in my suitcase....
x2.jpg

And the airport security team decided to give it a bomb swab.

I have to admit, it looked super sus in the xray. :p

Family was allowed to stay together. ...we might have had to stay together, I don't recall.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
The problem seems theoretical rather than actual.
Well “the problem” isn’t theoretical - but I do understand why many regulars dismiss it as not a problem. It has in no way affected me in the slightest other than I don't like Mickey mouse cops barking orders at me. But I've been told in this thread that Disney security shouldn't be friendly.

MickeyLuv'r

Security is there primarily for your safety, not for the purpose of welcoming you. They will tell people what to do; it’s the nature of the job.

If it’s no longer an issue now that bag checks are not being done, why bump an old thread to complain about it?
I'm going to push back a little, because generally the security folks ARE welcoming.

Probably the nicest CM we encountered on a recent visit was a security guy. He was so nice, we wrote his name down to tell WDW how impressed we were. Before he talked to us, a little girl ahead of us was a bit scared of the scanner. He was super nice and came up with some clever jokes that got her laughing and relaxed. His efforts were impressive, and his jokes were genuinely funny. She went happily on her way.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Can you clarify this statement? What I meant is that groups do not find themselves unable to reunite with relative ease after going through security. Would you disagree with me?
Oh sorry. I wasn't saying that was a problem really. Obviously everyone gets reunited.

The “problem” is splitting up families / guests by only allowing “1 pusher per stroller or wheelchair” in the wheelchair / stroller line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom