Security splitting up families / groups at entrances

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
It is comical to see people get so upset about this.
It’s comical to see people get upset at being called friend.

To me, this is all about the guest experience. The over all “welcome” from security is very poor with people barking orders and telling people which line to wait in based on physical conditions, etc.

my group is not being separated in this case, although previously with the bag / no bag situation it did effect me.

Prince-1

To me, this is all about the guest experience. The over all “welcome” from security is very poor with people barking orders and telling people which line to wait in based on physical conditions, etc.

my group is not being separated in this case, although previously with the bag / no bag situation it did effect me.

This is almost as dumb as the friend thread.

Chi84

Premium Member

Security is there primarily for your safety, not for the purpose of welcoming you. They will tell people what to do; it’s the nature of the job.

If it’s no longer an issue now that bag checks are not being done, why bump an old thread to complain about it?

Chi84

Premium Member
That should absolutely not be the attitude of ANYONE at a Disney resort. Period.
I heard a parent berate a CM once for denying his child entry to a ride based on his height. He said “You don’t have to be so strict. This is Disney!” Disney employs cast members to welcome guests and security personnel to keep them safe.

I have never witnessed an overtly rude security officer, but they are no-nonsense and business like for a reason. They’re there to keep you safe, not to be your friend. If you ever have need of one to intervene in a problematic situation, you probably don’t want them trying to be nice to the troublemaker.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
What do groups do when they’re split up into different cars on rides and have to meet up at the exit, or when one person orders food and the others wait nearby? What if some members of the group need to use the restroom while the others do not?
the equivalent would be sending part of a group to the left and part of the group to the right at big Thunder and expecting them to meet up at the exit.

The others are all situations where it’s the guests decision to split up.

It would be odd to have an entrance only for wheelchairs and strollers and make people split up at the entrance to have tickets scanned.

Chi84

Premium Member
the equivalent would be sending part of a group to the left and part of the group to the right at big Thunder and expecting them to meet up at the exit.

The others are all situations where it’s the guests decision to split up.

It would be odd to have an entrance only for wheelchairs and strollers and make people split up at the entrance to have tickets scanned.
Wheelchairs can’t go through security scanners the way they can go through ride entrances so there has to be a separate area for them. People have fewer choices where security points are concerned.

I’m sorry but in light of the minimal nature of this I can’t help but think you’re being disingenuous.

Chi84

Premium Member
I don’t see any reason to accuse me of being disingenuous.
It’s not an accusation as much as an observation based on the part of my post you left out. You've admitted that being separated from your group isn't a problem as long as you're doing it voluntarily, so any argument based on separation seems disingenuous. It's more like you don't like to be told what to do by security personnel. In any case, you seem committed to this complaint so I’ll leave you to it.

Last edited:

Patcheslee

It was a valid question and again I will say that people are finding issues with almost anything that Disney does. It is comical to see people get so upset about this. I mean security isn't separating 5yo kids from their parents.
Our last visit was 2019, myself and DD11 went through Epcot main entrance. Because I had a bag that needed checked they told her go further ahead about 20ft after she went through the scanner. With the crowd size, it was a bit unnerving.

Chi84

Premium Member
Our last visit was 2019, myself and DD11 went through Epcot main entrance. Because I had a bag that needed checked they told her go further ahead about 20ft after she went through the scanner. With the crowd size, it was a bit unnerving.
They don't do bag checks anymore so it should no longer be an issue. Did you mention to security that you would rather not be separated from your daughter at the time?

lazyboy97o

Maybe it would be equivalent if the queue was all of 20’ long. It’s a problem when security tells groups to keep moving away but it’s generally not that much of an issue.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
It's more like you don't like to be told what to do by security personnel.
I made it very clear that I don’t like the tone and the attitude that the WDW Security has… that is part of my complaint. Many of them have that “we are in control cause we have a badge” attitude.

I’m not sure how it’s such a hard concept to grasp… groups and families typically want to stay together at the entrance of a Disney park… to be told they must separate into 2 different lines is very odd to me. I can’t think of another place in all of WDW where this happens, and it doesn’t happen at Disneyland.

Patcheslee

They don't do bag checks anymore so it should no longer be an issue. Did you mention to security that you would rather not be separated from your daughter at the time?
I didn't have much time to because DD went first and while my bag was being searched a different security person told her to move further away. The bag guy was busy pulling out items and announcing what they were. Kinda had me thrown off, usually DH is with us she can stay with but he wasn't feeling well.
It was during the monorail station refurb at EP so been a bit.

Chi84

Premium Member
I made it very clear that I don’t like the tone and the attitude that the WDW Security has… that is part of my complaint. Many of them have that “we are in control cause we have a badge” attitude.
I would expect they all have that attitude - they ARE in control because they have a badge.

Chi84

Premium Member
A hostile and escalatory attitude is not at all the baseline level of appropriate. On can be firm and direct while still being pleasant.
I agree 100%, but I haven’t read any examples of a “hostile and escalatory attitude” here. The complaint is about security following WDW’s gate procedures with some vague comments about “barking” orders, telling people which line to wait in based on their physical conditions and having a tone or attitude of being in charge.

jloucks

The answer is because these days people have to find an issue with everything that Disney does. I mean if you can't separate for a few seconds from someone in your party then you have bigger issues to worry about.

It was a valid question and again I will say that people are finding issues with almost anything that Disney does. It is comical to see people get so upset about this. I mean security isn't separating 5yo kids from their parents.

I would not say I am "so upset". It is more like, annoyed and less likely to subject myself again to said treatment.

For me, it is the principle.

I resent going to a relatively expensive leisure destination and then being treated like criminal. I get the metal detectors, wands, bag checks, and grumpy guards. Fine, makes sense, I guess, but it feels really... creepy... to be forced to separate from my family, even for a "second" when I have done nothing wrong. Even the airport doesn't do this, why does an amusement park need to? Hint: They don't. Not at all.

WDW will say they do it for logistical reasons. I say, fix the *logistics.

So, yea, it is not that I cannot be separated. It is, should I be separated? The answer is an easy "no".

In my advancing years, I am increasingly principled. When I was in my 20's and 30's I can tell you I couldn't have cared less. :p

Opinions will vary.

*Way earlier in this thread I detailed my experience. What I left out, is the gate area is so crazy packed with mobs of people, that if you do get separated from your family by 30+ feet, like the guards demand, you do run a good chance of losing visual of the rest of your party. Logistically speaking, it would not be an issue if the gate crowds were significantly less. Logistics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom