Seas with Nemo and Friends: anglerfish not working

Pioneer Hall

Apparently the sarcasm that menameischris and I were using didn't translate to the written word. Oops.

We rode the attraction together last night and were joking about the broken anglerfish ruining the vacation and how the Chinese could fix it.

I had a feeling it could be, but with the way things have been going here lately it's hard to assume that anything along those lines are sarcasm. I am glad that it is, however I stand by my above words lol

Scuttle

I was there June 4th and it was not working, so who knows. Just another example of how bad TDO is with maintenance. Also the lights were still blown out on the grand floridian when I was there, which really gets to me, what a flagship hotel.

Monorail_Orange

Was there June 6th or 7th, and it definately was 101 at the time I rode it. I actually was curious how often it was still going down, glad to hear that overall it sounds like it just happened to be fluke.

devoy1701

Have a child and you will find yourself doing things and going places that you have never imagined.:lol:

Touche!

Since the attraction doesn't usually have a long wait, I go on it to get into the pavilion. It isn't a classic, but I find it to be enjoyable.

I've been on the ride a few times in the past couple of months and the fish has been working every time. However, here is the problem in starting a campaign that points out all the problems. I don't think a broken effects constitutes a problem if it isn't working on one ride through. As I said in the CoP thread, most of the times if something breaks that day the CM's won't know about it until the end of the day. If you see something not working, tell the CM at the unload area (as I did with pirates once) and they will do their best to address it. I consider something to be a real problem when it doesn't get addressed for quite some time even after you know that it has been seen.

I completely agree. Confirmation from multiple ride-throughs or from multiple people can help here. And as for something like an Angler Fish which doesn't have a fantastic track record but is hit or miss would be flagged as a "yellow" status or something of the sort.

I was there June 4th and it was not working, so who knows. Just another example of how bad TDO is with maintenance. Also the lights were still blown out on the grand floridian when I was there, which really gets to me, what a flagship hotel.

I definitely agree with the GF roof lights. Also the Comtemporary A-Frame lights that are now shut off around 9 or so at night...the lights are iconic, and the building looks dark when those are not on.

@Nick - the Chinese comments were obvious. And while I appreciate the joke, people need to stop associating fans being upset with missing/broken effects as ruining vacations. No one is saying that and if we don't clear that up the WDW fanbase has no chance of doing what DL's was able to do. It diminishes the overall experience and atmosphere...yes; can you still have a fantastic vacation...absolutely...a vacation is what you make it!

Effects ruining vacations is a very JimmyThick way of thinking!

CaptainShortty

I really hope you two are being sarcastic ... if the parks really are going to be sold (or a share in them sold) you have no idea who the buyers might be. Just because they have a ton of money doesn't mean they might not even be bigger profithounds than TWDC is, and remove effects, etc because they are too costly.

Although I think their comment was at least a little bit sarcastic I very much agree with you. In my opinion selling the parks is a terrible idea in the long run.

thelookingglass

I'm pretty sure its been down for close to two months, now.

Pathetic, but not surprising with WDW's maintenance and upkeep standards these days.

RSoxNo1

The shark that used to pop out hasn't worked for a lot longer although I think that was an effect that was just turned off.

TalkingHead

Nick,

If you don't mind, head over to our site www.fixthemagic.com and sign up to be a member. Then you can make updates to issue trackers for each and every attraction where you notice an effect not working.

Take pictures if you can! :wave:

On your fixthemagic website, why is Everest reported as follows:

07/05/2011: Everything is in working order

07/05/2011: No long-term or unconfirmed issues

07/05/2011: No serious issues

Also, navigating the discussion boards is a bit of a hassle, if someone just wants to see what attractions are in the worst shape.

TalkingHead

Apparently the sarcasm that menameischris and I were using didn't translate to the written word. Oops.We rode the attraction together last night and were joking about the broken anglerfish ruining the vacation and how the Chinese could fix it.

Either that, or it wasn't funny to begin with.

devoy1701

On your fixthemagic website, why is Everest reported as follows:

07/05/2011: Everything is in working order

07/05/2011: No long-term or unconfirmed issues

07/05/2011: No serious issues

Also, navigating the discussion boards is a bit of a hassle, if someone just wants to see what attractions are in the worst shape.

We haven't updated yet. Just brought it up and running. We're only a handful of people with day jobs! :D Feel free to update the statuses of anything you see fit!

Also,

we're working on a widget for the home page on Most Active threads...Top Issues, Hot Topics...etc. Though to be most encompassing, we had to go this route of heirarchy, it's split out by Park>Land>Attraction.

Hope this helps!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
While I'm not one to track every effect, the anglerfish is quite visible and important to that ride. Maybe not Yeti-important, but important -- moves the ride up a half-grade on its own. Like a few others have said, my recent experiences have seen the effect working much more often than not.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Apparently the sarcasm that menameischris and I were using didn't translate to the written word. Oops.

We rode the attraction together last night and were joking about the broken anglerfish ruining the vacation and how the Chinese could fix it.

Nope. Didn't come through -- add this sequence :fork::fork::hammer::lol: next time, and well know.

MerlinTheGoat

I actually like this ride. I know i'm weird and will probably get a lot of hate for it, but it's kind of neat and cute. It's no Fantasyland dark ride, don't get me wrong. But it's a pleasant way to relax for a few minutes and some parts of it are kind of nice. I don't like the first quarter of the ride, but it picks up around the jellyfish part.

I've been on this at least 3 times in the past year (which sums up how many times i've been on it totally in my life as well lol). The angler fish has always worked fine. I'd be sad to see it not working, it's a cool effect.

DrummerAlly

I've ridden this ride probably five times over the past two years and I don't have the foggiest idea what the anglerfish that you guys are talking about is.

Anyone care to offer up a description, picture, or you tube video for the clueless?

Thanks!

MerlinTheGoat

I've ridden this ride probably five times over the past two years and I don't have the foggiest idea what the anglerfish that you guys are talking about is.

Anyone care to offer up a description, picture, or you tube video for the clueless?

Thanks!

I can't find a decent quality video for this, it's a dark scene. Here's a pic of the anglerfish though-
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i252/roey471/anglerfish.jpg

The scene happens right after the scene with the jellyfish. It's very dark and has some sparkly things on the otherwise black wall. The scene is taken from the film where Marlin and Dori are in the deep sea and are chased around by an anglerfish. The scene in the ride uses a miniaturized "KUKA arm" to give it a realistic, swift, and very full range of movement. The fish moves around really quickly. It's a pretty cool scene for what it's worth IMO.

I read another topic that was posted here last year. Apparently when in "B mode", the anglerfish doesn't move at all, it's just positioned to face the guests.

DrummerAlly

I can't find a decent quality video for this, it's a dark scene. Here's a pic of the anglerfish though-
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i252/roey471/anglerfish.jpg

The scene happens right after the scene with the jellyfish. It's very dark and has some sparkly things on the otherwise black wall. The scene is taken from the film where Marlin and Dori are in the deep sea and are chased around by an anglerfish. The scene in the ride uses a miniaturized "KUKA arm" to give it a realistic, swift, and very full range of movement. The fish moves around really quickly. It's a pretty cool scene for what it's worth IMO.

I read another topic that was posted here last year. Apparently when in "B mode", the anglerfish doesn't move at all, it's just positioned to face the guests.

Thank You! Come to think of it, I believe I have been on the ride both with and without the anglerfish working. It certainly doesn't seem to be as complicated as the yeti.

MerlinTheGoat

Surely not as complex as the yeti indeed. This is basically a very small device. Complex though that might be, i'm sure it doesn't have nearly as much stress put in it when it moves around. And it's likely fairly easy to tune up (at least in comparison to Yeti).

RSoxNo1

As I've said, I aim to prioritize this maintenance concept on the new project I'm working on. I'm hoping that we'll be testing the front end by the end of the month with the prospect of a genuine log of maintenance issues within 3 months.

I really don't think a forum is the best way to do this, I've got something else in mind.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It`s a modified Kuka Arm, doing something the basic design was never meant to do for 15 hours a day, every day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom