Seas with Nemo and Friends: anglerfish not working

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I guess the angler fish was never really special to me because you could always see the Kuka arm gleaming in the darkness.

Yep it did seem to me to be one of the effects for the heck of it.
"We've got this arm hanging around, what can we do with it?"

tirian

I can't answer that. But automotive factories have been having the same problem for years.

Not at you emilykawaii123, but I still don't understand why people on here are so upset when I read left and right that people hate the ride anyways. Even if it were working fine on a daily basis (as it was at least yesterday), people would find something else to complain about. I'm sorry, complaining about effects issues get's old. People have been complaining on here for 15 years about something they don't like but it still hasn't stopped anyone from visiting the parks.

I for one really enjoy the ride. :wave: It's a FL dark ride 2.0. If the Seas had hydrolators to return Guests to the exit instead of just walking through a gift shop, I'd consider the Nemo overlay to be 100% successful.

Yodadudeman

Regardless of whether we think the ride is good or not, a broken ride is bad show. That should be unacceptable. The effect is simple and the fix can't be that complicated either. So shut the ride down for a day, fix the problem, and lets move on to more important things. Like the lifeless yeti....

flynnibus

Premium Member
My issue is this is just one of a building history of Disney attractions that are failures in design or operation that instead of fixing.. Disney lets linger.

It wouldn't take a 90 day rehab to fix the anglerfish. Design a solution, pick your window, shutdown the ride, and replace the effect with a more reliable alternative.

I mean.. just off the top of our heads..
anglerfish - perpetually unreliable
yeti - broken for years
dinosaur - major effects halted (lasers, animated figures, etc)
great movie ride - alien, dancing AAs, and more
btmrr - geysers, rock effects
SWR Treehouse effects
test track to a lesser extent

and the list goes on. Instead of apologizing for how many techs of what type Disney has on staff... why aren't we seeing the forest here of lower standards across the board. The 'little here, a little there (Dinosaur) is progressing further and further (Yeti)' and over the years people are just getting used to it.

It's depressing honestly.

I only hope Uni Creative keeps it up and pushes Disney harder and harder to get them to snap out of it and stop treating their parks as a balancing act of investment to return.. and get back to being proud of making the best damn entertainment on the planet.

RSoxNo1

I for one really enjoy the ride. :wave: It's a FL dark ride 2.0. If the Seas had hydrolators to return Guests to the exit instead of just walking through a gift shop, I'd consider the Nemo overlay to be 100% successful.

I'm with you - I've gone on to say that considering the relative wait times vs. attraction quality I'd rather go on The Seas With Nemo and Friends than Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage

tirian

I'm with you - I've gone on to say that considering the relative wait times vs. attraction quality I'd rather go on The Seas With Nemo and Friends than Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage

I've got to agree with you there, too. The Nemo Subs at DL were a huge letdown for me; I might as well have watched the movie again. The Epcot version is the perfect length (short!).

But now I sound like one of those unethical talking heads Disney has distributed throughout the online community. :lol: We've had a few magically appear on this site too.

dxwwf3

But now I sound like one of those unethical talking heads Disney has distributed throughout the online community. :lol: We've had a few magically appear on this site too.

I can easily think of a few names of past posters that would have fit this description perfectly...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Or if the budget won`t stretch, even some false rockwork outside the doors to make a tunnel. ANYTHING that blocks the daylight visible from a `Seabase`.

And hide unload from load too :)

tirian

Or if the budget won`t stretch, even some false rockwork outside the doors to make a tunnel. ANYTHING that blocks the daylight visible from a `Seabase`.

It's been hidden over a year. There's a wall that barely does the job.

Yep, a tunnel would work too.

Ironically, as much as I hate the inclusion of kiddie character rides at Epcot, the Seas layover doesn't bother me because it was always the weakest theme. Although the hydrators were impressive in their time, the rest of the pavilion comprised 80s-style signs, a public television-quality film, and a tiny ride through a tunnel. TLS was never as timeless as Imagination or Horizons (new films would have fixed H). Nemo is certainly a better fit for Epcot than Poseidon or Mermaid would have been. Although I would have preferred no characters, if Seas had to have them, Nemo is okay.

But it needs a true exit to complete the suspension of disbelief.

dxwwf3

Although I would have preferred no characters, if Seas had to have them, Nemo is okay.

Yep.

Personally I wish the ride would have taken on more of an edutainment feel and had character projections "in the tanks" for the entire ride, it still isn't as bad as it could have been.

RSoxNo1

It's been hidden over a year. There's a wall that barely does the job.

Yep, a tunnel would work too.

Ironically, as much as I hate the inclusion of kiddie character rides at Epcot, the Seas layover doesn't bother me because it was always the weakest theme. Although the hydrators were impressive in their time, the rest of the pavilion comprised 80s-style signs, a public television-quality film, and a tiny ride through a tunnel. TLS was never as timeless as Imagination or Horizons (new films would have fixed H). Nemo is certainly a better fit for Epcot than Poseidon or Mermaid would have been. Although I would have preferred no characters, if Seas had to have them, Nemo is okay.

But it needs a true exit to complete the suspension of disbelief.

I think the queue for the attraction is very well done, unfortunately it's mostly unnecessary. The other problem is that the load/unload area is really poorly designed. They can get away with it because the attraction isn't particularly crowded but it just seems odd.

What's weird to me is that while other Future World Pavilions have an attraction entrance and a shop/post show entrance, this setup seems strange in The Seas Pavilion. Because the pavilion itself has so much substance to it (The best comparison for me is The Land), I feel that the ride should have an entrance inside the pavilion, not oustside the pavilion.

erasure fan1

Just back from epcot and taking a small rest before we go back out. The angler fish is still broken and I have to say, I didnt really realize how bad it looks. And chum the shark wasnt really moving either. the angler is really bad show, I cant believe this effect is so advanced it would be crazy hard to fix.

OK star tours, here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MissMorrow

I hope it doesn't become another Yeti :brick: It wasn't working the last time I went on it back in May, bit disappointed to hear it's still not working.

Jakester

I just got back from a little trip to Epcot, and the Anglerfish was working, and going strong. Just thought I'd share it in the thread

Pioneer Hall

The Angler Fish has been working fine for the past few months now. Been on the attraction a number of times since this summer and I have always seen it moving. Seems safe to say that whatever the problem was needed a somewhat lengthy fix and they now have it under control.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom