Screamscape - Monorail Expansion Rumor

Timon

For those interested:
Here is an example of "Escape" catwalks added to a WDW style track.
LVM%2520View%2520from%2520Convention%2520Ctr.JPG

Yes rather ugly but here is what people see when they see the track another angle. Where'd the catwalk go? Hmm not so bad.
LVM%2520Sahara%2520Station%252008%2520-%2520view%2520south.JPG

Found a shot of the Walk-thru on the INNOVIA 300 trains. I love looking down the length of the train and right out the front/rear windshield. Cool!
Bombardier%2520Innovia%2520300%252006%2520walk%2520thru%2520design.jpg

puntagordabob

=
Found a shot of the Walk-thru on the INNOVIA 300 trains. I love looking down the length of the train and right out the front/rear windshield. Cool!

Wow.... at first I was sorta on the fence about the walk through idea....but seeing this picture makes me think this is in fact a great idea...

s8film40

Wow.... at first I was sorta on the fence about the walk through idea....but seeing this picture makes me think this is in fact a great idea...

At the very least if they can't do walkthrough I would like to see them redesign the end cars so they are open up to the front windshields once they automate the trains.

Timon

At the very least if they can't do walkthrough I would like to see them redesign the end cars so they are open up to the front windshields once they automate the trains.

The INNOVIA 300 trains are about 1/3 longer and wider than the current Disney trains and ride on a slightly wider track. Additionally the INNOVIA 300's use 2 smaller drive tires at each end of each car to get walk/look-thru, which means they are shorter than the large single wheels on today's Disney trains. Soooo... It's unlikely the Disney monorails will ever have walk-thru although if they adopt the smaller double drive wheel arrangement maybe look-through. Definitely yes on Automation.

jt04

The INNOVIA 300 trains are about 1/3 longer and wider than the current Disney trains and ride on a slightly wider track. Additionally the INNOVIA 300's use 2 smaller drive tires at each end of each car to get walk/look-thru, which means they are shorter than the large single wheels on today's Disney trains. Soooo... It's unlikely the Disney monorails will ever have walk-thru although if they adopt the smaller double drive wheel arrangement maybe look-through. Definitely yes on Automation.

Automation may be key to financial viability. IMO.

Other strategies could be the placement of hubs and the use of moving sidewalks such as those at Universal.

I think it is very possible.

flavious27

For those interested:
Here is an example of "Escape" catwalks added to a WDW style track.
LVM%2520View%2520from%2520Convention%2520Ctr.JPG

Yes rather ugly but here is what people see when they see the track another angle. Where'd the catwalk go? Hmm not so bad.
LVM%2520Sahara%2520Station%252008%2520-%2520view%2520south.JPG

Stunning look inside. It would be great to see this with the wdw monorails, but alas it will cost too much to have another line or two added. Along with that, it would cost even more to retro the existing system to add these kind of trains.

I hope that they would atleast lose the middle benches that separate each car and maybe length each car. We have had the current generation of monorails for longer than the last one. Maybe that is something that they can do with the next gen of marks. Each car can be lengthened out more, put solar panels on top, put in el tape to lighten up the inside to put in mood lighting and maybe use it to show motion.

Sell_EL_logo_EL_Backlight_EL_light_EL_Sheet_el_advertising_el_el_advertising_sign_el_product_el_lighting_EL_panel_EL_poster_EL_belt.jpg

nace888

Stunning look inside. It would be great to see this with the wdw monorails, but alas it will cost too much to have another line or two added. Along with that, it would cost even more to retro the existing system to add these kind of trains.

I hope that they would atleast lose the middle benches that separate each car and maybe length each car. We have had the current generation of monorails for longer than the last one. Maybe that is something that they can do with the next gen of marks. Each car can be lengthened out more, put solar panels on top, put in el tape to lighten up the inside to put in mood lighting and maybe use it to show motion.

Sell_EL_logo_EL_Backlight_EL_light_EL_Sheet_el_advertising_el_el_advertising_sign_el_product_el_lighting_EL_panel_EL_poster_EL_belt.jpg

As said before, it's not really possible to lengthen out the trains any... It would cost more for the expansion just to expand the station.

I think however, the Light Tape is a good choice, and considering the colors they have, they could do the interior of each train in their respective colored tape. Blue for blue, Teal for teal, etc...

jt04

You can expand the "monorail" system without adding to the existing track.

Some of you really need to think more creatively. You are approaching the situation all wrong. :wave:

There is an answer that will work. :)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
You can expand the "monorail" system without adding to the existing track.

Some of you really need to think more creatively. You are approaching the situation all wrong. :wave:

There is an answer that will work. :)

Are you referring to the Ronco TrackStretcher2000 ?

jt04

Are you referring to the Ronco TrackStretcher2000 ?

Nothing says any added elements to the transportation system need to physically connect. Rather the system can be segmented. It isn't very far from the Epcot TTC to DTD for instance. Similarly it isn't far from the Epcot TTC to the Epcot resorts.

Seperate out and back systems in the manner of the monorails at MCO could be quite practical in these situations.

And I guess whatever was so pressing you needed to PM me is no longer so urgent. Just guessing though. :shrug:

flavious27

As said before, it's not really possible to lengthen out the trains any... It would cost more for the expansion just to expand the station.

I think however, the Light Tape is a good choice, and considering the colors they have, they could do the interior of each train in their respective colored tape. Blue for blue, Teal for teal, etc...

Well some stations need a good refurb anyway and I doubt another 50 feet is going to be that costly.

Tom

Beta Return
Well some stations need a good refurb anyway and I doubt another 50 feet is going to be that costly.

Relative to what? Enlarging every monorail platform by 50' will cost a small fortune, and just wouldn't be possible/feasible in many locations.

flavious27

Relative to what? Enlarging every monorail platform by 50' will cost a small fortune, and just wouldn't be possible/feasible in many locations.

Having the new trains added. As for being possible, it only matters how well they can have an extra 50 feet look. The approaches to each station straighten out a good amount from the platforms, much longer than 50 feet.

s8film40

Polynesian station was lengthened for the Mark VI trains. Some stations would require new beam ways to lengthen, but I think most could be lengthened a short distance relatively easily.

flavious27

Polynesian station was lengthened for the Mark VI trains. Some stations would require new beam ways to lengthen, but I think most could be lengthened a short distance relatively easily.

That is my thought. The beams shouldn't have to be altered in anyway. The expense is going to be with how to extend the external structures of the stations. Well that and building new trains and extending each car by about 10 feet and making sure that the trains can make the turns.

Timon

The INNOVIA 300 (Sao Paulo) can't run on WDW tracks, the track isn't wide enough, the trains are couple feet wider which means every station would have to have the train "trench(?)" widened. Most stations can be made longer but wider trains are a problem.

The INNOVIA 200 (Las Vegas) trains are the same size as WDW trains, maybe the cars could be longer because most of the WDW system is gentle curves. The problem lies in the Shop area which uses old fashioned pivot switches and sharper turns to go over them. Newer monorail systems use high speed switches - beam replacement (Epcot Line) and Articulated (Hitachi & Scomi)

If WDW put in an East-West Line from DTD to AK it could be the INNOVIA 300 and have a transfer station at EPCOT, but the Epcot Line trains would have to be separate systems. Maybe not worth the change.

MARK VIII (INNOVIA 200) Some day
WDW%2520Mark%2520VIII%252002%2520Polynesian.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom