Screamscape - Monorail Expansion Rumor

katarn112

Original Poster
Thought you guys would be interested, Screamscape just posted this (gotta scroll down to see it, or click the link that jumps you down to it at the top, under the "latest buzz" section)

http://www.screamscape.com/html/walt_disney_world_resort.htm

Monorail System News - (4/5/12) I’ve heard this rumor countless times before… but a good source claims that Walt Disney World may be taking another long hard look at expanding the resorts iconic Monorail system once again in order to cut back on their reliance on bus transportation and move towards a functional mass transit network that would service all of the theme parks and bigger attractions eventually. Stay tuned.

I'm a bit new to the whole Disney World Rumors scene, so I don't know how reliable screamscape usually is. What do you guys think? Think there might be something to it?

MarkTwain

Unfortunately, Screamscape is probably one of the most unreliable sources for "insider info" out there. It seems like they are willing to post practically anything they're told. A monorail expansion would certainly be nice, but is pretty unlikely due to the expense.

_Scar

Unfortunately, Screamscape is probably one of the most unreliable sources for "insider info" out there. It seems like they are willing to post practically anything they're told. A monorail expansion would certainly be nice, but is pretty unlikely due to the expense.

With gas prices, is it really more expensive than running bus transportation? :shrug:

redshoesrock

A monorail expansion would certainly be nice, but is pretty unlikely due to the expense.

Indeed. A quick look at The Monorail Society's page on "How Much Does Monorail Cost?" http://www.monorails.org/tmspages/HowMuch.html shows that Las Vegas paid $88 million a mile for their Bombardier monorail system (the same company that built WDW's monorail). Now I'm willing to concede that it probably wouldn't cost as much given Bombardier had to work around Las Vegas's urban sprawl and WDW's monorail would have a good amount more of open space around it to build. Still, very costly. And given how we know WDW LOOOOOVES to spend money </sarcasm>, I won't hold my breath.

FlaMel

I wonder how much of the $88,000,000.00 was for right of way/land use rights? I have always heard that it is about $1,000,000.00 a mile for monorail development. 88 miles of new monorail track at WDW would be HUGE!!

WDWFREAK53

With gas prices, is it really more expensive than running bus transportation? :shrug:

It's not just about cost...

It's also about flexibility. THe monorail system is not flexible and can't be changed when the crowds change.

At park closing, there are a ton of people leaving the parks. It's not like they can just "on a whim" add more monorail trains when the parks close at different times.

Plus, then you're adding another "step" in your route back to your resort...Now you're going to a hub...and then to a bus.

Pioneer Hall

I wonder how much of the $88,000,000.00 was for right of way/land use rights? I have always heard that it is about $1,000,000.00 a mile for monorail development. 88 miles of new monorail track at WDW would be HUGE!!

The million dollars a mile number was something that was thrown around in the fan world for a long time. However, I imagine that it would be considerably more than that. Even if we aren't talking the 88 mil that Vegas was shelling out it would still be a considerable amount of money. I personally do not ever see monorail expansion happening.

Knothead

Threads like this make me laugh because this whole situation would have been solved 40 years ago had they stuck with the original plan for the Florida project. The monorail is old news and transportation on the Disney property is abysmal compared to the elaborate plans laid forth a half century ago. Bottom line is that accountants ruin everything and people rarely gain anything from "playing it safe".

MissMorrow

Yeah, can't see it happening.

Whatever happened to the individual peoplemover/monorail idea? You get in your own little pod and it takes you directly to your destination. Was that just some crazy idea throw around the fan community or was it actually thought about?

dcibrando

I always wondered why they didn't look into numerous smaller transport vehicles using the same technology as the TTA to connect everything. Maybe that's not feasible or even possible but having these vehicles more automated (almost like what they have at some airports) might also be a cost savings in addition to the potential of being safer?

kcnole

It was considered. In fact if you look back at the original designs Walt had for EPCOT when it was really a community, the people living there would have the peoplemover running right to their homes. They could then take those into the city, sites, etc...

BrightImagine

Yeah, can't see it happening.

Whatever happened to the individual peoplemover/monorail idea? You get in your own little pod and it takes you directly to your destination. Was that just some crazy idea throw around the fan community or was it actually thought about?

Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) - in use in West Virginia, and most recently at London Heathrow. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_rapid_transit

I first learned about this concepts from Disney fan sites a few years ago. How I wish that WDW would consider it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Blah blah...

All I can say us that management know the roads Can only hold a finite amount of traffic, even with current tweaks.

They know they've been approaching the limit for over a decade and know an alternative needs to be introduced, be it Monorail, WEDWay, PRT or a combination.

TestTrack

Blah blah...

All I can say us that management know the roads Can only hold a finite amount of traffic, even with current tweaks.

They know they've been approaching the limit for over a decade and know an alternative needs to be introduced, be it Monorail, WEDWay, PRT or a combination.

You forgot transporter:

PrometheusTransporter.jpg

wdw71fan

I reference the thread where Raven and I discuss newer transportation for Downtown Disney, and other areas being in the cards.....

Thats all I'm sayin.:wave:

UberMouse

The current system of buses worked great when it was implemented and Disney was paying the commercial bulk rate of .84 cents a gallon for Diesel (including tax exemptions). Average cunsumer cost per gallon was around $1.12 a gallon (1982)

NX2I85

I reference the thread where Raven and I discuss newer transportation for Downtown Disney, and other areas being in the cards.....

Thats all I'm sayin.:wave:

Not sure I recall that thread, but does seem obvious that TDO can't sit on their hands and do nothing. As attendance increases there must be more and better ways to move guests around between hubs and resorts. It will be interesting to see what they decide upon and how long it takes to implement

montyz81

Indeed. A quick look at The Monorail Society's page on "How Much Does Monorail Cost?" http://www.monorails.org/tmspages/HowMuch.html shows that Las Vegas paid $88 million a mile for their Bombardier monorail system (the same company that built WDW's monorail). Now I'm willing to concede that it probably wouldn't cost as much given Bombardier had to work around Las Vegas's urban sprawl and WDW's monorail would have a good amount more of open space around it to build. Still, very costly. And given how we know WDW LOOOOOVES to spend money </sarcasm>, I won't hold my breath.
Bombardier did not build the monorail system. They built the trains and at that they only built the Mark VI trains. Martin Marietta built the IVs. I am not sure who built the track for the resort loop, but the track for Epcot was built by Disney or as they say "in house". I believe that is why some think it is a rougher track then the resort loop.

dcibrando

let's also not forget as attendance increases... so does the need for more areas within the parks or a new park all together :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom