Scattered ashes in POTC ride

darthjohnny

I remember reading a Disney Urban Legend about this. Then saw a VH1 special about obsessed fans, and this one Disney fan said when he dies he wants his ashes scattered in the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction.

But I guess it's actually becoming more and more popular. Weird.

Thiger

interesting thread, as I want to have my ashes put in POTC. Now I wouldn't want to cause problems for other guests but it would be nice. Maybe I'll just settle for somewhere around the tree of life, lol.

doop

haha, people do some interesting things. Personally, as some others said, I wouldn't mind being placed in the middle of Bay Lake or the Seven Seas Lagoon. But at the risk of a ride being shut down, and having to be cleaned, pouring ashes on a ride is just not right.

Scooter

Isn't anyone else thinking like me, that this would be a great money making opportunity for The Disney Company?

Leave a Legacy Mini Ash Krypts $50
Walk Around The World Ash Blocks $100

I'm not sure, but perhaps this is why we're not allowed to swim in the Disney Lakes any longer.

T-1MILLION

Really? I'm sorry, but dumping ashes at Disney isn't like doing it at the top of a mtn that meant something to you. This is their private property, and you don't know the full effect it could have on the attraction or a guest. Say someone inhaled the ashes, or a kid put his hand in the water/ashes and then his mouth.

Spreading someone's dead body on someone else's property isn't right regardless if you get caught or not. Your statement about being caught makes it sound as if you don't respect others boundaries/property.

If a kid puts his hands in the water of an attraction...remains would be the least of his worries.

There is actually no health concern here. While not very nice to fellow riders..no health problems can really occur. There are more germs on the queue bars and everything else than there could ever be in something like that.

But that aside, I can see why one would say it is morbidly gross. But in case anyone does not know..

Everyday ashes and cobwebs are made up mostly of dead skin flakes. So think about that next time you blow ashes out of a book into your own or someone elses face. :lol:

lildivaaa

Let me offer my humble opinion on this matter.

I just read about this latest story of ashes being scatter at Disney. This is NOT uncommon at all; it happens all the time...you just don't hear about it. In fact, I have a very good friend of mine who was a part of a family vacation to WDW, in which one of the purposes of that vacation was to scatter the ashes of a recently departed family member who loved WDW so much and could think of no place he'd rather been for eternity.

Now, let's be real for a moment. Taking out the "death" part of the equation, what are we really talking about?? Ash, just ash....basically power, dust, etc. To which is entirely sterile, no disease, no nothing. It is material that would be compared to not dusting your end-tables for 8 months to a year. Also, in every instance that I’ve of hearing about someone scattering ashes at any Disney park…that’s just it, they are “scattering”…a little here, a little there, a little on a tombstone at The Haunted Mansion, a little at the wishing well in front of Cinderella Castle, a little on MainStreet USA, etc. Mostly being very unobtrusive about it, not drawing any attention to what is going on. It’s a very private thing for a loved one, especially in such a crowded environment as a Disney park.

Also on the note of “scattering”, again that’s just in the manner of sprinkling in a very confined space, as not to disrupt anyone or anything. Scattering does NOT mean throwing an entire urn of your dearly beloved high in the air as you take the final five story plunge on Splash Mountain, coating everyone on the ride in a layer of mud…now that the ash has combined with a good douse of water from the ride!! The scattering of ashes in a pubic place, like Disney, is to make sure your loved one is there for all eternity…not cleaned up by the night crew. So, most people who do bring ashes to Disney, place them in areas or in ways that are away from most of the general public’s daily access. So, all you germ-o-phobes out there, don’t worry….someone’s “Uncle Ralph” is extremely unlikely to get on you.

So……what are we REALLY talking about here?? I believe it’s an engrained human fear of death. Plain and simple….and no one wants to be around, be near, be reminded or think about death…AT ALL. Because it reminds us all of our own mortality and that someday…we will all die. That’s just the fact.

Please, don’t get me wrong…I too, don’t relish in the fact that one day, someday…I’m going to cease to exist and shuffle off this mortal coil. But while I have a healthy fear of death…I also have a large desire to live my life, and to also know that life does not stop here on this earth…just because our bodies do. (But that’s for another discussion)

So embrace life, celebrate living each day. But as for the subject that got me to this editorial…I think that if someone’s last wish was to have their ashes scattered amongst various areas around a Disney Park…then GO FOR IT! Have fun with it; make it something special, something memorable. Celebrate you dearly departed’s life. Be respectful of others in the general public as you do it, but I see nothing wrong with it.

DisneyWorld, or any other Disney park around the globe…are the happiest places on Earth. I think it would be a happy place to spend eternity too!

* Note to self – The Tower of Terror is already a pretty dusty place in the lobby area, by design. So, scattering some of my ashes there wouldn’t even be noticed. Gotta update my will. :)

T-1MILLION

I just read about this latest story of ashes being scatter at Disney. This is NOT uncommon at all; it happens all the time...you just don't hear about it. In fact, I have a very good friend of mine who was a part of a family vacation to WDW, in which one of the purposes of that vacation was to scatter the ashes of a recently departed family member who loved WDW so much and could think of no place he'd rather been for eternity.

Now, let's be real for a moment. Taking out the "death" part of the equation, what are we really talking about?? Ash, just ash....basically power, dust, etc. To which is entirely sterile, no disease, no nothing. It is material that would be compared to not dusting your end-tables for 8 months to a year. Also, in every instance that I’ve of hearing about someone scattering ashes at any Disney park…that’s just it, they are “scattering”…a little here, a little there, a little on a tombstone at The Haunted Mansion, a little at the wishing well in front of Cinderella Castle, a little on MainStreet USA, etc. Mostly being very unobtrusive about it, not drawing any attention to what is going on. It’s a very private thing for a loved one, especially in such a crowded environment as a Disney park.

Also on the note of “scattering”, again that’s just in the manner of sprinkling in a very confined space, as not to disrupt anyone or anything. Scattering does NOT mean throwing an entire urn of your dearly beloved high in the air as you take the final five story plunge on Splash Mountain, coating everyone on the ride in a layer of mud…now that the ash has combined with a good douse of water from the ride!! The scattering of ashes in a pubic place, like Disney, is to make sure your loved one is there for all eternity…not cleaned up by the night crew. So, most people who do bring ashes to Disney, place them in areas or in ways that are away from most of the general public’s daily access. So, all you germ-o-phobes out there, don’t worry….someone’s “Uncle Ralph” is extremely unlikely to get on you.

So……what are we REALLY talking about here?? I believe it’s an engrained human fear of death. Plain and simple….and no one wants to be around, be near, be reminded or think about death…AT ALL. Because it reminds us all of our own mortality and that someday…we will all die. That’s just the fact.

Please, don’t get me wrong…I too, don’t relish in the fact that one day, someday…I’m going to cease to exist and shuffle off this mortal coil. But while I have a healthy fear of death…I also have a large desire to live my life, and to also know that life does not stop here on this earth…just because our bodies do. (But that’s for another discussion)

So embrace life, celebrate living each day. But as for the subject that got me to this editorial…I think that if someone’s last wish was to have their ashes scattered amongst various areas around a Disney Park…then GO FOR IT! Have fun with it; make it something special, something memorable. Celebrate you dearly departed’s life. Be respectful of others in the general public as you do it, but I see nothing wrong with it.

DisneyWorld, or any other Disney park around the globe…are the happiest places on Earth. I think it would be a happy place to spend eternity too!

* Note to self – The Tower of Terror is already a pretty dusty place in the lobby area, by design. So, scattering some of my ashes there wouldn’t even be noticed. Gotta update my will. :)

BRAVO! Perfectly put!:sohappy:

Kacki

Well...we all know that he'll "Tell No Tales" :lookaroun

What if there comes a time when Disney decides to remove the attraction...and put up something like DinoRama there. :lookaroun

Shut up shut up shut up! *puts fingers in ears* LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU....

Buried20KLeague

Bravo! Well said. :sohappy:

Now where did I put MY will... :lookaroun

mermaid1

Giving permission to spreading cremation ashes in WDW and certain rides in particular is a (excuse the pun) can of worms, Disney doesn't want to open IMO no matter how large of a fee they'd charge!:lookaroun
They can't anyway...It is illegal to spread ashes.
mermaid1

happymom52003

Some of what you said makes sense, and I am sure that some of the ashes that have been spread at Disney in the past have gone unnoticed. But the problem is that people ARE "dumping" the ashes in places that cause problems, rather than just sprinkling some here and there.

jakeman

I am sorry lildivaaa, but I have to disagree strongly with your opinion on this.

Walt Disney World is private property. Regardless of any pyscological terrors or shortcommings folk may have, it is inappropriate to spread the ashes of someone or something in the parks with out the company's permission. This would be the equivalent of dumping ashes in the garden of someone's house without their permission. Just because you can do and not get caught doesn't mean it's right.

Also not trying to troll or be deliberately gross, but the arguement that the ashes are sterile holds no water. Urine is sterile also. Should we also guest to use the bathroom as long as they do it out of the way and a little bit at the time? I mean no disrepect to the dead but ashes and urine are kind of on the same level for me.

happymom52003

They can't anyway...It is illegal to spread ashes.
mermaid1

We could not even legally spread my mom's ashes at a beach inside city limits. Of course we could have done it unnoticed, but it was not worth the risk of the huge fine we would have faced if we had been caught, and I would have felt weird breaking the law. So we went to a secluded beach outside of the city limits. Some of you have claimed there are not health risks, but if it is illegal, then there must be problems seen with doing it. I don't know enough about the topic to claim there are not health risks, but why else would it be illegal?

Buried20KLeague

We could not even legally spread my mom's ashes at a beach inside city limits. Of course we could have done it unnoticed, but it was not worth the risk of the huge fine we would have faced if we had been caught, and I would have felt weird breaking the law. So we went to a secluded beach outside of the city limits. Some of you have claimed there are not health risks, but if it is illegal, then there must be problems seen with doing it. I don't know enough about the topic to claim there are not health risks, but why else would it be illegal?

The same reason all KINDS of laws are made.

In Alaska, it's illegal to look at a moose from an airplane.

Not all laws make complete sense.

GoofyMom2

I'm sorry, I keep thinking of the scene from The Big Labowski......

:eek:

PS Look at a Moose from an airplane? What if a pilot sees a moose, does he have to cover his eyes........ :p

happymom52003

The same reason all KINDS of laws are made.

In Alaska, it's illegal to look at a moose from an airplane.

Not all laws make complete sense.

This is true. There are some really crazy laws out there! But MOST laws do have valid reasons behind them....espeically when the laws are so wide spread. The absured and funny laws you read about are usually limited to a particular place and have an interesting origin from a long time ago, and really are not enforced anymore. The laws regarding human remains really do not fit into the absurd laws category.

Buried20KLeague

I am sorry lildivaaa, but I have to disagree strongly with your opinion on this.

Walt Disney World is private property. Regardless of any pyscological terrors or shortcommings folk may have, it is inappropriate to spread the ashes of someone or something in the parks with out the company's permission. This would be the equivalent of dumping ashes in the garden of someone's house without their permission. Just because you can do and not get caught doesn't mean it's right.

Also not trying to troll or be deliberately gross, but the arguement that the ashes are sterile holds no water. Urine is sterile also. Should we also guest to use the bathroom as long as they do it out of the way and a little bit at the time? I mean no disrepect to the dead but ashes and urine are kind of on the same level for me.

Your logic is absolutely flawed.

If you heated the urine up to 1600-1800 degrees, THEN you're talking apples to apples. Ultra high heat for a long period of time kills any and all bacteria in the heated item, and breaks it down into its basic components. Urine is full of waste material that quickly grows bacteria. The two aren't even close to the same.

The problem is perception, and nothing more. And you've just shown support for that idea.

Now... If you want to restrict your argument to the idea that WDW is private property, and scattering ashes should be considered either illegal dumping, or littering... Well THEN you've got a good argument. And one that I would find hard to argue against. A lot harder than ashes and urine being the same, at least. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom