Scattered ashes in POTC ride

Sam02

Original Poster
I just saw on our local news where the POTC ride was shut down temporarily because the water had something in it. A witness stated that they saw a woman pour something into the water. That woman was unidentified. It seems that she scattered someones ashes into the water during the ride. Have any of you heard this story? Do you have any more details?

I can see where someone loved WDW so much they would want their ashes scattered in the park, etc., but I wonder if she should have done this without sometype of Disney consent.

SDav10495

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al111307d.htm

...and scroll down. Makes for an interesting read.

I'm all for dead folks being happy, but I don't care how much grandma loved the Disney parks--please keep her cremated body inside the vehicle at all times. Some of the fondest memories of my life have been riding Spaceship Earth, but it doesn't mean I'm going to ask my kids to sneak a Tupperware into Epcot and sprinkle my bone bits on the sleeping monk. That's just bad show. (Oh, and seriously gross.)

WDWKat26

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al111307d.htm

...and scroll down. Makes for an interesting read.

I'm all for dead folks being happy, but I don't care how much grandma loved the Disney parks--please keep her cremated body inside the vehicle at all times. Some of the fondest memories of my life have been riding Spaceship Earth, but it doesn't mean I'm going to ask my kids to sneak a Tupperware into Epcot and sprinkle my bone bits on the sleeping monk. That's just bad show. (Oh, and seriously gross.)

I second that.

Mr_Tom_Morrow

out in the middle of bay lake,or seven seas lagoon,thats a little more understandable,but in the middle of a ride..(please forgive me)..

HELL NO! thats not even remotely called for :hurl::lookaroun

blm07

I've heard of it before in the Haunted Mansion, it is disgusting. They have to use HEPA filters to clean it up, so what kind of health problems can that create?

In the end, you have wasted money for clean up (twice), caused potential health problems for everyone else, caused delays for others to ride the attraction, and your ashes end up in a vacuum cleaner. What kind of eternity is that?

Well, it can't be too common at WDW (Or at least Epcot) because I, in my 4 months as a Custodial Hostess, never heard of anything of the sort.

I'm really glad I never had to deal with that...dead things really weird me out. I could never go into my friend's living room because her grandmother resides on their mantel...

brkgnews

... but I wonder if she should have done this without sometype of Disney consent.

I seriously doubt there would be any type of consent ever given. This was also uber-unwise since now anytime anybody sees powder being spread, it's automatically anthrax.

... please keep her cremated body inside the vehicle at all times...

If you don't make that into a shirt on Cafepress, you're missing out on a goldmine.

captcanada

It might be fitting to have an urn or 2 IN the haunted mansion.
On a bookshelf or fireplace mantle or something. Or...better yet.....have a real urn behind every gravestone in the graveyard scene? Though...if Disney actually got into that (for each park), I'm betting it would cost quite a bit, considering very limited space.

Now at haunted Mansion.....999 ghosts? Plus 999 urns ;)

rileyspaw

Giving permission to spreading cremation ashes in WDW and certain rides in particular is a (excuse the pun) can of worms, Disney doesn't want to open IMO no matter how large of a fee they'd charge!:lookaroun

iheartdisney91

this isnt gross at all.... i mean yes its not a good idea but if thats what you wished for when you died then thats really loyal. plus.... my mom wants to be on mainstreet. :lookaroun
but i do admit spreading them in water isnt a good idea if you dont want to get cought

AKidat50

I've heard of it before in the Haunted Mansion, it is disgusting. They have to use HEPA filters to clean it up, so what kind of health problems can that create?

In the end, you have wasted money for clean up (twice), caused potential health problems for everyone else, caused delays for others to ride the attraction, and your ashes end up in a vacuum cleaner. What kind of eternity is that?

I agree that scattering cremated remains in a Disney attraction is not exactly proper, but should create no health problems whatsoever. Cremated remains are sterile, having been subjected to 1600-1800 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 hours or more. To each his own, I suppose... but I don't want someone's Aunt Sarah floating through POTC. Come to think of it, how often is the water in Disney attractions changed? Sarah wouldn't be there for 'eternity' I am sure.

WDWFREAK53

Well...we all know that he'll "Tell No Tales" :lookaroun

What if there comes a time when Disney decides to remove the attraction...and put up something like DinoRama there. :lookaroun

PKD

this isnt gross at all.... i mean yes its not a good idea but if thats what you wished for when you died then thats really loyal. plus.... my mom wants to be on mainstreet. :lookaroun
but i do admit spreading them in water isnt a good idea if you dont want to get cought

Really? I'm sorry, but dumping ashes at Disney isn't like doing it at the top of a mtn that meant something to you. This is their private property, and you don't know the full effect it could have on the attraction or a guest. Say someone inhaled the ashes, or a kid put his hand in the water/ashes and then his mouth.

Spreading someone's dead body on someone else's property isn't right regardless if you get caught or not. Your statement about being caught makes it sound as if you don't respect others boundaries/property.

DisneyPhD

I'd like to have some of my ashes put into one of the MK trash cans so I can go for a ride through the pneumatic trash system in the utilidors at 30 mph! :drevil: Never on one of the rides though as that would detract from other people enjoying the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom