Say goodbye to ALL the clubs at PI.

jakeman

PI's clubs closing may be upsetting, but I am appalled by the personal attacks on Disney executives. Regardless of the reason for the closing, why is it acceptable to call someone an "idiot" or question if they have more than one brain cell?

These are real people and, while they will most likely never read your post, they deserve some measure of respect. I'm by no means saying you cannot disagree passionately with a corporate decsion but to resort to blatant name calling is pretty low.

With regard to the closure itself, this is another case of wait and see. What they replace PI with may be better or worse. We don't have a whole lot of information at this point.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
PI's clubs closing may be upsetting, but I am appalled by the personal attacks on Disney executives.

I'm not. It comes with the territory. As long as large companies continue to exist, there will be members of the public who will criticize the decisions of its executives.

Regardless of the reason for the closing, why is it acceptable to call someone an "idiot" or question if they have more than one brain cell?

That's a moot point, since I'm certain that neither you, nor anyone else has proof that there exists a single Disney executive with more than one brain cell. Unless of course there is a brain surgeon on these message boards who has successfully operated on a Disney executive.

These are real people and, while they will most likely never read your post, they deserve some measure of respect. I'm by no means saying you cannot disagree passionately with a corporate decsion but to resort to blatant name calling is pretty low.

They are indeed real people, but as long as they remain executives in what may be the most publicly visible company on the planet, they will be criticized. Furthermore, as long as I remain a shareholder of the Walt Disney Company and a paying customer of their consumer products and paying guest of their (heretoforth non-Florida) resorts, I shall retain the right to call them as I see fit. But as courtesy, I will not call them names, but rather I will call their decisions as I see them. They may not be idiots, but their decisions are certainly idiotic at times.

With regard to the closure itself, this is another case of wait and see. What they replace PI with may be better or worse. We don't have a whole lot of information at this point.

With Disney's track record on replacements, I fear that the latter may be the case.

hemloc

PI's clubs closing may be upsetting, but I am appalled by the personal attacks on Disney executives. Regardless of the reason for the closing, why is it acceptable to call someone an "idiot" or question if they have more than one brain cell?

Ummm... They are idiots, morons and much more colorful words:fork:.

And it's precisely because of the fact that they don't elaborate on what they are replacing PI with that makes them such...

Buried20KLeague

Mkay. :rolleyes:

This might be the wrong place to defend the personalities (who very well MAY be idiots) of these people after such a broad and sweeping decision such as this.

They're big boys and girls. They can defend themselves if they believe it's important... And I'm quite sure they don't. If they did, we wouldn't be where we are right now on this topic.

jakeman

Mkay. :rolleyes:

This might be the wrong place to defend the personalities (who very well MAY be idiots) of these people after such a broad and sweeping decision such as this.

They're big boys and girls. They can defend themselves if they believe it's important... And I'm quite sure they don't. If they did, we wouldn't be where we are right now on this topic.
A rational discussion regarding the merits of closing the clubs is fine. Name calling is juvenile and petty.

The justification of "if they weren't idiots, they wouldn't have done 'x'" is lame and is just an excuse for people to act like children on a playground.

Buried20KLeague

How did the club make its profits?
Was there a cover charge or something?
Tks.
:)

Yeah, there was a cover charge. But I'd imagine the majority of profits were made from drinks. That cover charge was split between locations, and I'd imagine covered operations costs for the area... Not individual clubs' actual expenses.

And no offense to the poster that said he went 65 times and bought 5 drinks... But that's probably part of the problem, I'd assume. :shrug:

I know I personally heated up the old debit card pretty good when I was there. :lol: And no, I never left there stumbling or anything like that.

Buried20KLeague

A rational discussion regarding the merits of closing the clubs is fine. Name calling is juvenile and petty.

The justification of "if they weren't idiots, they wouldn't have done 'x'" is lame and is just an excuse for people to act like children on a playground.

OOOOOH. Where's the merry-go-round?!?!?!?!? :lol:

Listen, I get what you're saying. But lately, I've felt like they're making more and more negative changes at my favorite place in the world without taking into account the thoughts and feelings of those that are the most loyal to them... People like me. People like us. I think they're taking away more and more of what makes WDW unique. And it "sipps" me off, if you get me. And I'm getting tired of it. So people like me lash out. It happens. When there's nothing you can do about something that makes you angry, this is the result you get. And TRUST ME... Those people don't care about you or me. So I don't care about them. Not right now, anyway.

I've been first in line to buy into DVC at the Contemporary. With fat points, too. Enough for a Grand Villa every 16-18 months. Check in hand and everything. But this is another in an increasingly long line of decisions that really has me re-thinking that. And the fact that I'm questioning whether I want WDW to be my major vacation destination for the next 50 years is upsetting to me, and something I never thought I would do. So how do I react? I complain. There's nothing else I can do, aside from rolling over and taking it again... Which I'm getting a little tired of.

So some suit gets called an idiot by me. I think he'll be okay.

jakeman

I'm under no illusion that the Disney Company cares about me. It doesn't change the fact that they are made of people and those people, regardless of the decision that they make, should be talked about with some degree of respect. It's not because of who they are or what they represent but because they are simply people.

Just because this is an online forum doesn't mean you have the right to say things about people that you don't know and (I hope) would not say to their face.

Being angry is fine, in fact so is being irrational, but to belittle and insult? That seem rather small, especially behind the cloak of internet anomnimity (sp?).

EPCOT Explorer

:eek:

I see why you're confused; I was running off to eat as I typed that.

Sorry. My post was based on previous comments and not meant to stand alone.

I think EPCOT Explorer understood what I meant, though.

On one hand, Disney needed to change PI if it wanted it to be popular with today's club hoppers.

But Disney's changes only made the place more generic. Disney's attempts to reinvent PI were unsuccessful because they wandered out their area of expertise (immersive environments like the original PI) and into a danger zone (removing the backstory and randomly building things to unsuccessfully attract each temporary culture scene).

In other words, even though the district needed constant updating, Disney's initial changes to PI were destructive because they altered the wrong things. The decision makers were so obsessed with changing PI that they made quick decisions (e.g. removing the live stages, discontinuing the "NYE Every Night" theme) without regarding long-term consequences. On top of that, the club culture has changed since PI opened and Disney isn't willing to match it.

Management is da*ned if they do and da*ned if they don't.

EDIT: It really is a circular argument, and somebody decided closing the island was the easiest way out. Too bad about the AC, though.
:wave:

I just understood the fact that this is a very silly and hasty buisness move....:lol:

Silly Disney...:cry:

Buried20KLeague

I'm under no illusion that the Disney Company cares about me. It doesn't change the fact that they are made of people and those people, regardless of the decision that they make, should be talked about with some degree of respect. It's not because of who they are or what they represent but because they are simply people.

Just because this is an online forum doesn't mean you have the right to say things about people that you don't know and (I hope) would not say to their face.

Being angry is fine, in fact so is being irrational, but to belittle and insult? That seem rather small, especially behind the cloak of internet anomnimity (sp?).

Okay, well then, we'll agree to disagree. :D

But for the record... I would say it to his face (the guy that made the announcement). Then I'd explain why. And then I'd suggest what I would do instead. And why I believed that to be the right thing to do.

And I think just calling someone an idiot for decisions they made (which I haven't even done... I'm just defending those that did) isn't the personal attack you're thinking it is. And it's also fairly benign. It's not like anyone's cursing their children or stalking them. :lol: I have people that work for me that occasionally do something stupid and they might get called a name or two. I like them just fine. But for that brief period, the name fits. :D

Again, I see your point... I just don't agree with it.

Back to the regularly scheduled topic...

liquid toez

Yeah, there was a cover charge. But I'd imagine the majority of profits were made from drinks. That cover charge was split between locations, and I'd imagine covered operations costs for the area... Not individual clubs' actual expenses.

And no offense to the poster that said he went 65 times and bought 5 drinks... But that's probably part of the problem, I'd assume. :shrug:

I know I personally heated up the old debit card pretty good when I was there. :lol: And no, I never left there stumbling or anything like that.

Well, I've been a regular PI club-goer for the past 4 years and spend an average of about $2500 each year. I have an annual pass to PI, so most of that money is for drinks and tips.

PS: Never been drunk - I drink responsibly and always in control.

Tinkerbella16

OOOOOH. Where's the merry-go-round?!?!?!?!? :lol:

Listen, I get what you're saying. But lately, I've felt like they're making more and more negative changes at my favorite place in the world without taking into account the thoughts and feelings of those that are the most loyal to them... People like me. People like us. I think they're taking away more and more of what makes WDW unique. And it "sipps" me off, if you get me. And I'm getting tired of it. So people like me lash out. It happens. When there's nothing you can do about something that makes you angry, this is the result you get. And TRUST ME... Those people don't care about you or me. So I don't care about them. Not right now, anyway.

I've been first in line to buy into DVC at the Contemporary. With fat points, too. Enough for a Grand Villa every 16-18 months. Check in hand and everything. But this is another in an increasingly long line of decisions that really has me re-thinking that. And the fact that I'm questioning whether I want WDW to be my major vacation destination for the next 50 years is upsetting to me, and something I never thought I would do. So how do I react? I complain. There's nothing else I can do, aside from rolling over and taking it again... Which I'm getting a little tired of.

So some suit gets called an idiot by me. I think he'll be okay.

I agree 100% with you. All of us who come to WDW, may it be monthly, annually, daily... as paying customers should have the right complain...but should know where the line is drawn when doing so. I couldn't agree more about disney taking away more and more of what makes WDW unique. They empty my pockets once a year and I don't ever complain because I choose to come back, and I love the place so much... But when they make a dumb decision without even thinking about how they're guests would feel, just ticks me off. I'm mad that they are even getting rid of the character at LTT next year without changing the price to dine there...that is rediculous!!! They don't think about the guests when it comes to taking away the things that are most special to us and what keeps us coming back.

hemloc

You're not Thumper, are you?? I've been wondering what he's been up to all these years, lol:brick:...

Sorry, but these people you are referring to deserve NO respect for making ill-informed decisions(Well, I guess they are not too ill-informed as they will still be making oodles of money, if not more money, off of leasing). People have to EARN respect. I don't know what sense-of-entitlement school you went to, but their curriculum could use some improvement.

hokielutz

Just like the drinkers who seem to think that AC was somehow this transcendent experience? :)

If the closure of the nightclubs on PI take away the sole reason one had for visiting WDW, as a few people have said here, perhaps WDW wasn't the vacation destination for them in the first place.

I can see people being upset at any removal, and I don't begrudge them that - but some of the posts are taking it a little far. You can still get drunk elsewhere, I am sure...

AEfx

This is not just the removal of one pavillion in Epcot... or the closing of one or two attractions in any other part of wdw. This is the removal of a piece of diversity in Disney's entertainment package. Your focus on ONLY ONE, aspect of this pavillion does not give your arguments merit. You leave out the fun entertainment of dancing in one of several style clubs, laughing at improv comedy at the CW, and the period comedy of the AC. Also not forget the street performances that exist or did exist. Drinking can be done at any restaurant's bar, but Disney doesn't have this type of adult oriented entertainment anywhere else on property. That is the important part of PI.

hemloc

IAWTC... I was going to buy into DVC, but these horrible business decisions have altered my want to do so. It may seem trivial to some, but one bad decision inevitably leads to another and another and another. I've already decided it's not worth staying in Disney hotels anymore, unless it's an extremely special occasion(The only reason I did stay was so that I could enjoy PI a bit more without having to worry about transportation, as well as monorailing it to MK). That's $400-$500 a night that they won't be getting from me anymore.

RiversideBunny

It could be that Disney, after carefully weighing the pros and the cons, has made a decision to get out of the adult entertainment business, knowing that a certain segment of its current customer base will be adverse to the change.

jakeman

You're not Thumper, are you?? I've been wondering what he's been up to all these years, lol:brick:...

Sorry, but these people you are referring to deserve NO respect for making ill-informed decisions(Well, I guess they are not too ill-informed as they will still be making oodles of money, if not more money, off of leasing). People have to EARN respect. I don't know what sense-of-entitlement school you went to, but their curriculum could use some improvement.
Wow...just wow. The personal attack on me aside, I don't think anyone, regardless of their position, should be spoken about in the manner that has been demonstrated in this thread.

It's not about entitlement. It's about being somewhat civil and polite.

hemloc

It could be that Disney, after carefully weighing the pros and the cons, has made a decision to get out of the adult entertainment business, knowing that a certain segment of its current customer base will be adverse to the change.

This is akin to the BlueRay vs. HDDVD war, lol... Disney has, in effect, given up and handed over the crown to Universal, and my business will follow. I wonder when they will shut down HoB. Death metal bands certainly have no business in a family environment, hehe..

It's all about the families now. That and NBC merchandise in 90% of the stores:zipit:...

Brwneyedgirl72

It's clear that there is no end to the passionate feeling out there about the changes going on at WDW, but even though I may not like some of the decisions that have been made you have to keep in mind that Disney is in the market to make money - point blank. We do not know if and how much money is being lost daily by keeping PI open. Fiscally, this may be a reason behind it. They want to maximize revenue, and you can't blame them for that. The fact is, as much as I don't like it, PI attendance has been declining, as well as the value of that product in the past few years. I, for one, intend to be optimistic about this and hope that changes will be positive and will breath new life into Disney night life.

Don't get me wrong - I was as shocked as everyone else when I heard that PI is closing, but face it - you can't stop change!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom