Say goodbye to ALL the clubs at PI.

tirian

Harry Potter. Check.

CityWalk. Check.

Good things are on the way to WDW too, but the rift between Disney's and Universal's demographics is growing larger.

Richie248

Sad news indeed. I agree that Pleasure Island needed a new life, but I don't think they should just kill it off. The PI concept is still a great business model that would work in Disney, but it's placement between two family oriented areas certainly didn't help, and allowing kids to walk through was also a huge mistake.

As a 24 year old with no children, nightlife is a very important aspect of my vacation (as it is for many of us regardless of age and children). Taking away adult orientated activities will force guests to seek it off property, and puts a dent in the whole theory of "Destination Disney".

If it were up to me, I'd keep a few of the clubs, Mannequins was still an amazing place to dance, and AC and CW were always a fun night out. Take those three clubs, and make another one or two and find an area of DD where they can all live together and bring back the original spirit of PI.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
'Tis a sad day in Disney History...

We can only hope that the closure brings something new and better to the World.:cry:
New and better? More themed restaurants and shops like already all over The World and Orlando in general?

Like I said, 2 steps forward and one step back. They had a misguided plan, a knee jerk reaction to bad press (again), and a badly planned and executed quick fix that failed. This is the result.

How can a company that has attractions such as RnRC, M:S and ToT play the 100% family orientated resort? There are needs for everyone, from ToonTown to Pleasure Island, from DiveQuest to Paragliding. This will come back to haunt them for years to come.

Idiots.

jt04

New and better? More themed restaurants and shops like already all over The World and Orlando in general?

Like I said, 2 steps forward and one step back. They had a misguided plan, a knee jerk reaction to bad press (again), and a badly planned and executed quick fix that failed. This is the result.

How can a company that has attractions such as RnRC, M:S and ToT play the 100% family orientated resort? There are needs for everyone, from ToonTown to Pleasure Island, from DiveQuest to Paragliding. This will come back to haunt them for years to come.

Idiots.

Respectfully disagree. Disney wants young singles and couples with no children to go elsewhere for this type of entertainment (although there will be clubs at the resorts in one form or another). This is helping insure a healthy Citywalk and Universal Orlando which IS in Disney's interest in the long term.

You will see, it is good for Disney, Universal and a revitalized Downtown Orlando scene. It's a good day :D

EPCOT Explorer

Idiots.

Sorry,Martin...Just trying to be optimistic...:eek:

It really is a foolish idea...And the balloon just makes it worse.:fork:

PhotoDave219

Well said, Martin.

The adults need somewhere they can do, well, adult things. Thats why the concept of an island - complete with gates and turnstyles - worked so well.

The pendulumn will swing back the other way at some point. I agree with closing the dance clubs. They jumped the shark years ago. But closing CW & AC? Those are the consistant draw for many people seeking some fun and a few drinks.

To paraphrase a giant dinosaur, "I have a big head and little arms. I'm just not sure how well this plan was thought through."

WDWhumanmap

I am going to miss PI, one of my favorite places to escape the usual Disney vacation grind or hide from the relatives during a "Magical Gathering" - and you know we all have had one of those. :goodnevil: :ROTFLOL:

Lord only knows why they apparently aren't going through with the rumored plan of Adventurer's Club at Night Kingdom; maybe they realized their scripted shows aren't any match for the people who are from NYC, or at least know Jekyll and Hyde's club improv. :fork: Sorry, but a person can dream that is the reason can't they? I'd rather it be that then see more of this terrible nonsense come to Disney World via new 'do more with less money instead of rehabbing stuff that need it' management.

I still ask what happened to the good old days of partying till dawn. :rolleyes:

Though, like others have said here, this is a great thing. I hate to say it on a Disney forum but considering everyone else has..... UNIVERSAL WON AGAIN!Simpsons, Harry Potter, a possible return of King Kong, the new Roller Coaster Rip Ride and Rockit, and now Citywalk stands alone... :zipit:

Besides the new scheme to get us Floridian residents in is that if you buy an annual pass now, you get 6 months free - yep, right when Harry and Rip Ride are "supposed to" open. Better still, if you buy now you don't have to worry about parking or blockout dates :eek:.

:brick: <<<< thats all i will say for Disney. I hope for a comeback during the
40th anniversary and pray for a celebration of some sorts even if just for fans. If not... :cry:

PhotoDave219

This isn't about Universal winning.

This is about Disney management not having a clue as to what they want to do with PI and adult entertainment in general.

Its about middle management bean-counters getting themselves bonuses amidst not having a cohesive plan or productive performance.

I agree with Martin wherein this seems like a knee-jerk reaction.

markjohns1

It's about time they finally decided to do something with PI. It may be a bit excessive closing AC and CW, as I think they could fit in nicely with a dining/shopping/entertainment area, but I find that this change is way overdue.

I am a big fan of the entire DTD area, and really don't have a problem with what they currently offer, even if it isn't Disney owned and operated. I think the stores and restaurants that are currently there fit in quite well. And it's definitely safe to say there is a big demand for it, as the Marketplace often gets very crowded. The West Side appears to have less foot traffic, but it seems more spread out with fewer, larger destinations. To anyone who says we don't need any more restaurants, I think the 2-4 hour waits at Rainforest Cafe, Planet Hollywood, and others definitely indicate there is room to thin out those crowds.

I think PI being located between the Marketplace and the West Side definitely hurt it in the end. To me it always felt like this road block in the middle and seemed out of place. If it was located on one of the ends, they probably would have kept the turnstiles and the atmosphere it once had, which many cite as being the time of its downfall. I think once the PI area is filled in with similar entertainment, dining, and shopping, it will definitely make for a more cohesive destination. I'm eager to see what is added. I hope it does well, because more profits there definitely could lead to improvements elsewhere in WDW.

speck76

Well said, Martin.

The adults need somewhere they can do, well, adult things. Thats why the concept of an island - complete with gates and turnstyles - worked so well.

The pendulumn will swing back the other way at some point. I agree with closing the dance clubs. They jumped the shark years ago. But closing CW & AC? Those are the consistant draw for many people seeking some fun and a few drinks.

To paraphrase a giant dinosaur, "I have a big head and little arms. I'm just not sure how well this plan was thought through."

Well - I agree

but at this time, we have no specifics on the replacement venues - we could end up with something that fits that void - we may not.

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. - Donald Rumsfeld

We know PI is closing
We know the marketplace is getting a new stage, but we do not know the purpose
We know Portobello Yacht Club is getting a new concept (thank God)
We know we are getting a large balloon (like at Disneyland Paris I assume)

We don't know what will replace the 6 clubs, except that the initial comments have been (from the Orlando Sentinel)
-broader mix of restaurants and shops
-specialized entertainment options
-some offerings might feel like a club, but not the high-energy clubs like Mannequins

As for the unknown unknowns - well - we just don't know - but perhaps judgment should be reserved until these unknowns are known.

Figment1986

Idiots.

Soo... how long until we can expect a good tribute video of the Adventurers Club and Comedy Club Warehouse? Uncut of course...

Soon that might be the only thing left of the hilarious laughter...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Soo... how long until we can expect a good tribute video of the Adventurers Club and Comedy Club Warehouse? Uncut of course...

Soon that might be the only thing left of the hilarious laughter...
I`ve an hour of 1990 SVHS, and 2 hours of DV from 2001.

And I just happen to be going to WDW in 7 days. Perhaps I can sacrifie one RoE show to head to the Ad Club instead. If it isn`t too painful.

(in protest Martin prepares to go to his saturday night job as a nightclub lighting tech wearing his 2001 PI T Shirt...)

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I've had the night and several hours awake to think this over.

I still won't be returning to WDW unless I am in the Orlando area for another reason (Photoshop World, AIGA, etc). Without the Adventurers Club and Comedy Warehouse, there isn't a reason for me to spend more than an afternoon at WDW, and living 1200 miles away, it just isn't practical for me to go there for just an afternoon without another reason for the trip.

What this means for me is that I have just cancelled two trips to WDW, one occuring in September and another in December, and I scrubbed the plans I had for a March 09 trip. I know that Disney will quickly rebook those rooms at a higher rate than what I was quoted, and I've accepted this. But ultimately, as a consumer that's my only recourse when a company does something I disagree with. Even if it means that I'm out $200 in airfare cancellation fees (to have my miles redeposited in my account).

I did however find something positive in this. I will still travel, I will still have those vacations. I just will take my money elsewhere.

September 07, I'll go to New York. December 07, I go to Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco and MAYBE I'll spend a day in Disneyland in the middle. I haven't yet figured out what to do in March, perhaps I'll spend some time on a sailboat around the islands or head to South America.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom