Save the Adventurers Club

vonpluto

I have a request for those of you lucky enough to be going to the Congaloosh.

If you get the chance, get some pix of the Pleasure Island historical plaques and post them please.

Thanx:)

Rob562

I have a request for those of you lucky enough to be going to the Congaloosh.

If you get the chance, get some pix of the Pleasure Island historical plaques and post them please.

Thanx:)

If I'm not mistaken, many of them have been gone for a number of years...

-Rob

asianway

Ah, the plaques, I have some pictures on my other computer, heres what I know:

Pleasure Island - main plaque is still on the bridge near Mannequins
Mannequins - still intact
Island Supply - still intact on back of Sosa cigars
Lombard Promenade - still intact on the rear/side of Comedy Warehouse
Videopolis East - still intact at rear entrance of 8trax
XZFR rollerdrome - still intact; however inaccessible on 2nd floor landing of Beach Club
Comedy Warehouse - plaque was in front lobby, status unknown
Portobello Yacht Club - plaque removed during recent Olive Garden renovation
Fireworks Factory - plaque removed upon renovation to Wildhorse Saloon
Neon Armadillo - plaque removed upon renovation to BET Soundstage
Avigators, Yesterears, and (name escapes me) - all removed for conversion to Harley Store, now the Paradiso 37
Superstar Studios - removed for Curl

I do not think I have pictures of plaques for the Jazz co, Dzertz, or Changing attitudes, but I believe they all had them.

I am not sure if Empress Lilly ever did.

But the most elusive of all plaques would be for the Adventurers Club itself. The building was left by and large intact the last 20 years, but I never remember seeing one, and neither did several long time cast.

Any other amatuer PI historians care to help on this walk down memory lane?

Captain Hank

But the most elusive of all plaques would be for the Adventurers Club itself. The building was left by and large intact the last 20 years, but I never remember seeing one, and neither did several long time cast.
The entrance area of the Adventurers Club received a fairly significant facelift early on, if I'm not mistaken. I know I've seen pictures somewhere of the entrance done in the same type of tilework as the exterior of the rest of the building. It's possible that the Club's plaque (if it existed) was lost during that rennovation.

vonpluto

Ah, the plaques, I have some pictures on my other computer, heres what I know:

Pleasure Island - main plaque is still on the bridge near Mannequins
Mannequins - still intact
Island Supply - still intact on back of Sosa cigars
Lombard Promenade - still intact on the rear/side of Comedy Warehouse
Videopolis East - still intact at rear entrance of 8trax
XZFR rollerdrome - still intact; however inaccessible on 2nd floor landing of Beach Club
Comedy Warehouse - plaque was in front lobby, status unknown
Portobello Yacht Club - plaque removed during recent Olive Garden renovation
Fireworks Factory - plaque removed upon renovation to Wildhorse Saloon
Neon Armadillo - plaque removed upon renovation to BET Soundstage
Avigators, Yesterears, and (name escapes me) - all removed for conversion to Harley Store, now the Paradiso 37
Superstar Studios - removed for Curl

I do not think I have pictures of plaques for the Jazz co, Dzertz, or Changing attitudes, but I believe they all had them.

I am not sure if Empress Lilly ever did.

Any other amatuer PI historians care to help on this walk down memory lane?

Thanks for the list.
The other shop by Avigators was Suspended Animation. Yesterears became DTV 1n '92.:)

If the Jazz Co building had a plaque, wouldn't it have been for Merriweather's Market, the original venue?

I'm guessing that if the AC never had a plaque it's because Merriweather built it as the Adventurers Club. It was not repurposed from an earlier use.:shrug:

CaptainMichael

The entrance area of the Adventurers Club received a fairly significant facelift early on, if I'm not mistaken. I know I've seen pictures somewhere of the entrance done in the same type of tilework as the exterior of the rest of the building. It's possible that the Club's plaque (if it existed) was lost during that rennovation.

It was probably replaced by the: "For those who crave danger and snicker at fear will find most agreeable company here" poem.

vonpluto

On a quest for Plaque history, I reviewed all of Wade Sampson's great pieces about Pleasure Island at JimHill and Mouseplanet.

Therefore, I submit for your consideration the following compilation of Pleasure Island Histerical Plaques detailing the history of Merriweather Adam Pleasure and his island.
(And Isabella, and Merriam, and Henry, and Stewart, yada, yada)

Sampson numbers the plaques at 27
Known plaques, storyline exists:)

1 - PORTOBELLO YACHT CLUB - Pleasure Family Home 1918

2 - PLEASURE ISLAND (entrance plaque by the ticket booths) - Founded 1911

3 - MANNEQUINS - Pleasure Island Canvas Works Fabrication Plant 1912

4 - CHANGING ATTITUDES - Pleasure Perfect Upholstery 1923

5 - THE ISLAND DEPOT - Pleasure Island Administration Building 1913

6 - ROCK AND ROLL BEACH CLUB(XZFR Rockin' Rollerdome-a roller skating dance club)
Building X 1937

7 - REEL FINDS (Hammer and Fire) - Fittings Foundry 1923

8 - YESTEREARS - Remains of Pleasure Island Ltd. Chandlery and Tool Crib 1924

9 - SUSPENDED ANIMATION - Navigational Pleasure Graphics Ltd. 1924

10 - AVIGATORS SUPPLY - Pleasure Shipping and Receiving 1924

11 - SUPERSTAR STUDIOS - Mrs. Pleasure's Music Parlor Composed 1929

12 - VIDEOPOLIS EAST - Artificial Intelligence Lab 1929

13 - LOMBARD PROMENADE - 1929

14 - COMEDY WAREHOUSE - Power Station 1912

15 - EMPRESS LILLY - The Floating Arts Palace 1886

16 - LILLY PLAZA - Lilly Plaza 1922

17 - WEST END PLAZA - Alien landing Platform 1941

18 - ADVENTURERS CLUB - Merriweathers Library, Adventurers Club 1932

Missing Plaques, no storyline exists:confused:

19 - FIREWORKS FACTORY

20 - NEON ARMADILLO

21 - MERRIWEATHERS MARKET

22 - DOODLES - Machine Shop , later Katie’s Kustom Kars

23 - FRONT PAGE - Pleasure Island Publishing Headquarters 1951

Possible/Probable:shrug:

24 - MOUSE HOUSE

25 - D-ZERTZ

26 - SWEET SURRENDER

27 - PROPELLER HEADS

28 - CHANDELERY ROW

Long Live The Funmeister!!!!!:D

Disney_Freak429

For those going tomorrow I have an interesting tid bit of info to consider for you. I was at the event there tonight & people were taking video with no problem so why would Disney just stop us from taking video & add more security for just us for Friday??? (there was only one guy there tonight towards the end to walk us out of the club) Disney obviously thinks that we are a bunch of crazies & will want to steal everything & tape the CMs going to the restroom or something. Disney is making even more trouble in my eyes with the no video ect. but lets see if its enforced I say bring your cam just in case its not so you can record like crazy. BTW yes I will be there tomorrow also don't ask what organ ect. I had to sell to do both these events but I shall see some of you tomorrow. NOTE: as you can tell I did take the side of humor in this whole thing in no way do I think Disney would pick on us over anyone else as much as they are evil in general for closing the place lol

sakraft1

What event was being held there?

For those going tomorrow I have an interesting tid bit of info to consider for you. I was at the event there tonight & people were taking video with no problem so why would Disney just stop us from taking video & add more security for just us for Friday??? (there was only one guy there tonight towards the end to walk us out of the club) Disney obviously thinks that we are a bunch of crazies & will want to steal everything & tape the CMs going to the restroom or something. Disney is making even more trouble in my eyes with the no video ect. but lets see if its enforced I say bring your cam just in case its not so you can record like crazy. BTW yes I will be there tomorrow also don't ask what organ ect. I had to sell to do both these events but I shall see some of you tomorrow.

Hey folks - Jennifer from ConGaloosh here. The event last night was held by Lou Mongello and WDWRadio.com. Heard it went very well, and did hear some folks were with video cameras during the night. I don't have details on how Disney security handled that. From experience, I've seen folks get away with taking pictures and video, and very rarely did Security and Management ever say anything to guests.

If any guests bring cameras to record video tonight use caution and please listen to Disney if they do politely ask you to refrain from recording. If they don't say anything, use your best judgement and enjoy the evening!

Will see you all at 7:30 tonight!

rebecca06261

Hey guys- long time lurker. I attended the event last night at the AC.
To answer the question about video- there was ALOT of video and the suits, security, and actors did not mind at all. As a matter of fact, we were allowed to take as much video and as many pictures as we wished. The reason for this is much sadder I'm afraid. Despite many hopeful rumors of the AC's return, it was confirmed by the suits in attendance that the AC will not be returning in any capacity.

All of the major artifacts will be going to Hong Kong- To settle any rumors of some artifacts already having shipped, it isn't true. Other than the booze and kungaloosh machine, everything is still there. I asked about the replacement Colonial and was told that "EVERYTHING" is still on site and will be shipped as a lot to HK.

It was really sad- all of the CMs were teary-eyed throughout the evening.

kungaloosh

jt04

Hey guys- long time lurker. I attended the event last night at the AC.
To answer the question about video- there was ALOT of video and the suits, security, and actors did not mind at all. As a matter of fact, we were allowed to take as much video and as many pictures as we wished. The reason for this is much sadder I'm afraid. Despite many hopeful rumors of the AC's return, it was confirmed by the suits in attendance that the AC will not be returning in any capacity.

All of the major artifacts will be going to Hong Kong- To settle any rumors of some artifacts already having shipped, it isn't true. Other than the booze and kungaloosh machine, everything is still there. I asked about the replacement Colonial and was told that "EVERYTHING" is still on site and will be shipped as a lot to HK.

It was really sad- all of the CMs were teary-eyed throughout the evening.

kungaloosh

Did the suits say anything about the AC story having a future somewhere else at WDW?

I have to ask because the anger seems to have evaporated and that makes me think something is in the rumor mill for the AC's future elsewhere on property.

wilsonhanks

Did the suits say anything about the AC story having a future somewhere else at WDW?

I have to ask because the anger seems to have evaporated and that makes me think something is in the rumor mill for the AC's future elsewhere on property.

Wouldn't it be cool if they put a place titled "Club 626" in the magic kingdom and themed it somewhat similar to the advclub? It could take the place of the Tiki Room!! :kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

Have a great time to those of you going to Congaloosh 2nite!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom