Save the Adventurers Club

Magenta Panther

I've got a bit of a goodie for you Adventurers: seems that certain elements of a new Disney comic book series based on the video game "Epic Mickey" and entitled "Tales from the Wasteland" will have a story based on the Adventurer's Club!

And I quote:

Some of the released art from the anthology that we previously shared is from a story titled ‘Clocktower Cleaners’ which David noted is a send-up of the Disney classic short ‘Clock Cleaners.’ Earlier this year at SDCC, David also talked about ‘Oswald the Lucky Duck’ in which Oswald decides he could be more popular if he wasn’t a rabbit, so he attempts to become other things such as a Lucky Duck, a Lucky Stiff, etc. In what turned out to be the last tidbit offered at the panel, David mentioned that one of the stories is based on the beloved (and defunct) Adventurer’s Club at Walt Disney World.

Here's the link to the article that contained the above paragraph:

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney...epic-mickey-panel-spoilers-oswald-featurette/

I gotta say, the more I hear about Epic Mickey and its spin-offs, the more excited I get. There is some incredible creativity being used in these offerings...it all sounds so good that I can't wait for the game and ALL the peripheral paraphenalia! This is the kind of creative revival Disney has needed for a long time. And maybe some aspects of it will wind up in the Parks! :sohappy:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I've got a bit of a goodie for you Adventurers: seems that certain elements of a new Disney comic book series based on the video game "Epic Mickey" and entitled "Tales from the Wasteland" will have a story based on the Adventurer's Club!

And I quote:

Some of the released art from the anthology that we previously shared is from a story titled ‘Clocktower Cleaners’ which David noted is a send-up of the Disney classic short ‘Clock Cleaners.’ Earlier this year at SDCC, David also talked about ‘Oswald the Lucky Duck’ in which Oswald decides he could be more popular if he wasn’t a rabbit, so he attempts to become other things such as a Lucky Duck, a Lucky Stiff, etc. In what turned out to be the last tidbit offered at the panel, David mentioned that one of the stories is based on the beloved (and defunct) Adventurer’s Club at Walt Disney World.

Here's the link to the article that contained the above paragraph:

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney...epic-mickey-panel-spoilers-oswald-featurette/

I gotta say, the more I hear about Epic Mickey and its spin-offs, the more excited I get. There is some incredible creativity being used in these offerings...it all sounds so good that I can't wait for the game and ALL the peripheral paraphenalia! This is the kind of creative revival Disney has needed for a long time. And maybe some aspects of it will wind up in the Parks! :sohappy:

Jim Hill has an even longer article on it:

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...b-lives-on-disney-epic-mickey-digicomics.aspx

PKD

AC is not dead. It will reopen in a new land at AK sometime down the road. But someone posted on another thread (perhaps Raven?) that one of the new things on PI will tie-in to Adventurers Club. No details given. Something with a AC theme. So it's not dead!

Possibly my post? I mentioned that there is a new venue on the drawing board for the island and would incorporate an area that is currently not accessible to guest or ever "seen the light of day". It won't have an AC theme per-say, but possibly be in that time frame, give or take a decade

Mouse Detective

Possibly my post? I mentioned that there is a new venue on the drawing board for the island and would incorporate an area that is currently not accessible to guest or ever "seen the light of day". It won't have an AC theme per-say, but possibly be in that time frame, give or take a decade

Yes, that's it! I looked all over for it so that I could quote what was said correctly but could not locate it. And I had forgotten about your comment about it being in an area that has ever seen the light of day! That was a real puzzler!

Mouse Detective

As much as we love our AC, who here will pay $100 for a day at the AK just to see the new Adventurers Club ??

Few. But if you're from out of town buying a multi-day pass, you might devote a day to getting to see whatever it is they've recreated. And annual passholders would probably go there a lot, depending on what it is.

Few. But if you're from out of town buying a multi-day pass, you might devote a day to getting to see whatever it is they've recreated. And annual passholders would probably go there a lot, depending on what it is.
ok, then let me ask the question this way. How much will AK admissions increase due directly to the inclusion of a new Adventurers Club??

71jason

ok, then let me ask the question this way. How much will AK admissions increase due directly to the inclusion of a new Adventurers Club??

Not a lot, honestly. If the Club had 200 people in a night, it was wall to wall--memory is slipping, but capacity was 250 or 350. Even on a slow day, I can't imagine AK does less than 10,000 guests. Considering that most AC fans are also hard-core Disney fans who have APs (even the out-of-towners), it would be maybe a 1% uptick at most.

It would give the park some much needed buzz. And it would be a boon to RFC, which right now has no dinner crowd to speak of (assuming the AC remains open at night). But ultimately, there has to be more to the plan than just the Club. Until more details get spilled, it's hard to speculate what the final effect would be.

the AC remains very dear to me but the AK is my least fav park and the only times I've seen it has been for 2 hours at a time on a day of hopping. Currently, there's nothing there I can't miss, although i do enjoy the Dinosaur ride very much. It would have been better tho had they duplicated the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland.

jt04

I'm almost positive any AC attractions that might possibly be built at DAK would have little to do with the PI club except for backstory. My guess it it would be much broader in scope than a club. I doubt the intention would be a recreation of the club at PI. It would be much more comprehensive and appeal to much bigger demographics. And possibly be an entire "land" with rides, shops and eateries.

Magenta Panther

Man, what a neat facade:

1047186653_ZAePT-M.jpg

Man, I wish I'd visited the Adventurer's Club. Now it's too late. :( If only it could be revived and moved to Animal Kingdom. Someone here told me that the show was a bit racy, but maybe it could be toned down a bit for the kiddies. From the sound - and look - of it, it might be a good fit for AK, which, heaven knows, could use a new attraction.

Master Gracey

Original Poster
Man, what a neat facade:

1047186653_ZAePT-M.jpg

Man, I wish I'd visited the Adventurer's Club. Now it's too late. :( If only it could be revived and moved to Animal Kingdom. Someone here told me that the show was a bit racy, but maybe it could be tone down a bit for the kiddies. From the sound - and look - of it, it might be a good fit for AK, which, heaven knows, could use a new attraction.

Quite correct, it is a neat facade, however, let me fix up that photo for you. . .

AdventurersClubFacade.jpg

Ahh, much better! Well, keep hope alive my friend, however I (and I'm sure many, many others) must say nay to toning down for the kiddies. One of the many things that made the Club work was that the show was a departure from the Disney norm, and refreshing to not have to deal with children running around.

I'm almost positive any AC attractions that might possibly be built at DAK would have little to do with the PI club except for backstory. My guess it it would be much broader in scope than a club. I doubt the intention would be a recreation of the club at PI. It would be much more comprehensive and appeal to much bigger demographics. And possibly be an entire "land" with rides, shops and eateries.

Actually, from the rumors I've heard, if it reopens at Animal Kingdom instead of Pleasure Island, the building will look as though it was lifted from its Hill St. home and transplanted into its new location, just outside of Dinoland in a new night time entertainment district that will be accessible in the same vein as Rain Forest Cafe.

Did anyone attend the 2010 Congaloosh?
How was it considering that it did not take place in the actual AC this year?

ConGaloosh 2010 was incredible. I know that we all had our doubts that it would be as good outide the hallowed walls of 5189 Hill St., but our favorite Adventurers fit nicely in their Cairo setting.

Cairo.jpg

They held a Balderdash Cup Competion (Emil won this year), A New Member Induction Ceremony (for one man who wasn't already a member of the Club) portions of Samantha's Cabaret, the Welcome Party, the Halloween Jubilee, and was all traditionally wrapped up with (what else) The Hoopla!

CastPhoto.jpg

However, before that all started at 8:00 on 10/8/10, the Convention oficially began at The Great Movie Ride, where unofficial Disney Historian, Jim Korkis, told tales of how Pleasure Island tied into the Golden age of Hollywood.

ConGalooshatGMR.jpg

After a trip into the movies, those Adventurers who couldn't wait till the evening to whet their whistles, invaded the Tune-In Lounge (the Bar inside of 50's Prime Time Cafe), where, (with the help of IPhone technology) we had the bartenders whip up fresh Kungalooshs! A few "normal" patrons asked some of our conventioneers ("Right Guard" Ian, Dr. Jeff Otto, and Ryan Fallis) what we were all about and if we had a theme song. Well, any true Adventurer in the bar joined in a rousing round of the "All Purpose Theme Song", and continued with "Drop Your Drawers", "I'm Your Mailman", and a few other choice songs! Then some of the "normal" patrons said, "Oh yea! I remember that place! It was amazing! Why did it close?"

AdventurersEnjoyingFreshKungalooshesattheTune-InLounge.jpg

9:00AM 10/9/10, was a time that not many Adventurers saw (due to the cash bar the night before). However, the ones that did, made their way to Adventureland for a Jungle Cruise with WDW Radio's Lou Mongello, who tied together the treads that join The Jungle Navigation Co. to Merriweather Pleasure's Advdenturers Club!

PoorJudgementCrewinAdventureland.jpg

The rest of the day was spent wandering the Food & Wine Festival, until that evening's meeting at the Rotal Plaza Hotel, for the ConGaloosh banquet, that included the Dress for the Hunt Competition

PoorJudgementCrew.jpg

As well as a presentation by Jim Korkis on the History (both real and imagineered) of Pleasure Island and the Adventurers Club. The evening wrapped up with an Adventurers Club Cast Discussion Panel, where Karl Anthony , Meghan Moroney, Mike Isom ("Dave the Sound Man"). Angela Napoleon, Jay Becker, Sheila Ward, Greg Fletcher (stage manager), and Tim Goodwin, told many tales of backstage shenanigans and touching moments from the Club.​

So in conclusion, Congaloosh 2010 blew 2009's out of the water, and I know I'm looking forward to 2011's (and still hope that it will be in 5189 Hill St.). But now I leave you with a quote from Jim Korkis' presentation, wihich if the Disney Co. would remember and practice, we would have our Island and Club back in a heartbeat!​

Rick Rothschild, the Executive Producer, Entertainment Center Projects, Walt Disney Imagineering stated in 1989: "We've done a lot of homework by traveling all over the world to look at different night clubs and complexes. What we've done here is beyond what anyone has ever attempted before. If Disneyland is fantasy made real, then [Pleasure Island] is reality made fantastic!"

AllHailTheBalderdashCup.jpg

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!

Mouse Detective

Master Gracey, thanks so much for posting a summary of Congaloosh 2010 and all the great pictures. Looks like it was well worth the money.

However, bad news, as you've probably seen by now over in the Pleasure Island thread. Disney filed permits today for PI re-development. And most distressing is #4:

Area Development between Comedy Warehouse & the demolished BET/Adventures Club!!!!!!!!!!!!

Master Gracey

Original Poster
Master Gracey, thanks so much for posting a summary of Congaloosh 2010 and all the great pictures. Looks like it was well worth the money.

However, bad news, as you've probably seen by now over in the Pleasure Island thread. Disney filed permits today for PI re-development. And most distressing is #4:

Area Development between Comedy Warehouse & the demolished BET/Adventures Club!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well plans can change. Hopefully it is just cheaper to tear down and rebuild the Club instead of fixing the mold problems of BET. I for one, will never lose hope for the Club to rise out of its own ashes like the phoenix we all know it is!

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!

Magenta Panther

Quite correct, it is a neat facade, however, let me fix up that photo for you. . .

AdventurersClubFacade.jpg

Ahh, much better! Well, keep hope alive my friend, however I (and I'm sure many, many others) must say nay to toning down for the kiddies. One of the many things that made the Club work was that the show was a departure from the Disney norm, and refreshing to not have to deal with children running around.

Well, I hear that. I applauded when Victoria and Albert's banned children under the age of 10. Frankly, I wish more restaurants would do it in the "real world", although I realize that's highly unlikely. Too many parents seem to regard restaurants as another form of daycare center. I waited tables to help pay for college, and dodging rampaging urchins was a daily chore. And I worked in "nice" high-end restaurants too. Kudos to the Adventurer's Club for catering to the grownups. Another reason to mourn its loss.

Mouse Detective

The Congaloosh cast looks like they were in the same costumes they used to wear when they were actually in the Adventurers Club. Did they own those things or did Disney somehow make their old costumes available for the Congaloosh?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom