Saratoga Springs or Old Key West

CatsMeow

We are die-hard OKW fans, so I can't offer an objective response. :animwink: But SSR is a very nice resort; we've stayed there 3 times.

My thoughts --
SSR is a newer resort, has a spa (important to some folks), great pool area, close to DTD shops and restaurants. The Treehouses are now part of SSR and they sound great, especially for larger groups. On the downside (for us), the transportation to the parks is not that great and it would be wonderful if more restaurant options were offered on-site. Having a car at your disposal here would be a real benefit - the resort is quite large. The theming is nice, but rather subdued. The studios here have one queen bed and a sleeper sofa.

OKW is home for us, but is the oldest DVC resort. I think the theming is excellent and the units are comfortably furnished. The spaciousness is just amazing. We love the on-site restaurant and enjoy taking watercraft to DTD. Cons - transportation can be below-par, although not quite as bad as SSR, IMHO. And we are probably just more used to it here. Units are older and some need sprucing up, although we have not experienced major issues. The pool area is very enjoyable, although we think SSR's is a bit nicer. The atmosphere here is very homey and laid-back, which we really savor. It is quite a relaxing place and that is what we want on vacation. Studios here have two queen beds. And the GV's are to die for! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

WishIWasAtWDW

i have stayed at both okw and ss, and i liked ss better. i thought both resorts were really great and which ever resort you choose, you will have a great stay. i thought the room decor at ss was much nicer than okw. the bus system at ss was slower than at okw. but both resorts have water ferrys to take you to dtd which was really fun to do. i think the okw pool is better for kids since it has the sandcastle water slide. also okw rooms were more spacious than ss. i think if you have little kids or a large family, then okw would be better. and if it was just the adults, i would go with ss. hope ths helps.

Upvote 0

micknminnie

Original Poster
I was just curious because for some strange reason, Disney emailed me a resort upgrade at either SS or OKW. We have only stayed at the value resorts and off property so I am really in the dark about other resorts. I am also in the dark as to why they would send me a free upgrade. :shrug: I didn't know they did this sort of thing.

Upvote 0

cbj1979

I got the same offer this morning. I couldn't believe it. I'm still trying to decide which to pick, but think I'm going to go with OKW, but its a hard decision. I have only stayed at value resorts before, so I am really looking forward to this! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

librarylady

I got the same email! I'm still trying to verify that it's not a scam. It doesn't seem to be, but as a banker, I'm kind of paranoid about that kind of thing. :lol: It's nice to know that others are getting the email too, though...

Upvote 0

mouselvrmom

I think they are offering the upgrade because those two resorts are the ones that are usually not full. They figure they can get people into them and possibly sell some timeshares in the process. :lol:

In answer to your question, we haven't yet stayed at OKW, hubby and I are taking a quick trip there in August. I'm sure we'll really like it. I liked SSR, but not quite as much as BWV or BCV. It is a lovely resort, and I liked to be close to the main pool.

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

I was just curious because for some strange reason, Disney emailed me a resort upgrade at either SS or OKW. We have only stayed at the value resorts and off property so I am really in the dark about other resorts. I am also in the dark as to why they would send me a free upgrade. :shrug: I didn't know they did this sort of thing.

My sister got the same email today. They were upgraded from POP. That's a nice surprise for an up coming trip. :)

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

Well our DVC HOme Resort is Saratoga, I've never stayed at OKW so I can't really comment there. But our girls who are 8 and 5 love SS..
We love the fact its close to Downtown Disney where the girls love playing in the fountains there, while hubby and I sit back and relax either with a drink or a sundae from Giredelli's.(Its a nice break from theparks during the day or nite)
Yes Saratoga is pretty big, but besides that all our other trips previously have been at POR and that is a pretty big Resort as well..
The pools are quite nice especially the main one with the water slide .
I know certains days they do pool games with a DJ playing music and having contests and prizes with the kids as well as movie nite that they take out a huge screen tv by the pool.
The dining hall is Typical, We usually get a grocery service delivery(garden Grocer is great) for eating breakfast in and for snack stuff , lunchfood, alcohol and such(much cheaper than the little general store at the resorts).
We'vestayed at different parts of the resort, we love Congress park area, It s across from DD not thefirst bus stop but I think the last , not real sure.. .Oh also plenty of bunnies here and there which our little one is convinced is the same one every year and who has breakfast with us in the morning on the patio every day....
Yeah overall I think you'll like Saratoga....But thats my 2 cents!

Upvote 0

micknminnie

Original Poster
Well I booked SS. We were supposed to stay at POP but I am not complaining about a free upgrade. We have a 5 yo,4 yo and 15 month old. I know SS isn't nearly as Disney themed as POP but like I said I will gladly take the upgrade. When I first called though the CM on the phone told me that I was not eligible, asked me if I had any other questions and told me to have a nice day - click. I called back after a 15 minute wait and got a very friendly new CM who told me I was eligible for the upgrade and could choose either a studio room or 1 bedroom room. I took the one bedroom. I am very excited but just a little worried about the kids having a good time at this resort. Either way we are at Dinsey so everyone should be happy!

Upvote 0

mouselvrmom

Well I booked SS. We were supposed to stay at POP but I am not complaining about a free upgrade. We have a 5 yo,4 yo and 15 month old. I know SS isn't nearly as Disney themed as POP but like I said I will gladly take the upgrade. When I first called though the CM on the phone told me that I was not eligible, asked me if I had any other questions and told me to have a nice day - click. I called back after a 15 minute wait and got a very friendly new CM who told me I was eligible for the upgrade and could choose either a studio room or 1 bedroom room. I took the one bedroom. I am very excited but just a little worried about the kids having a good time at this resort. Either way we are at Dinsey so everyone should be happy!

I think your kids will have a great time at this resort! They have a nice pool with waterslide, and the grounds are just lovely! My kids really liked that the pool was zero entry, because they like to play in the shallow water. There is also a fun fountain with Donald Duck that the kids can play in. And good choice on the one bedroom. That means you will have a washer and dryer in your unit. So nice when you have kids!

Upvote 0

cbj1979

Micknminnie,

I booked SS as well. When I called, OKW wasn't available for the dates that we will be there. After finishing the phone call, I went online to verify the changes. The change was already in the system, but there was another small suprise. It shows that we now have a small refund coming back to us as well. I don't know if it is related to the upgrade or for something else. Do you know or anyone else for that matter have the same thing happen?

Upvote 0

Yanks07

DVC is running a promo. @ OKW and SS 8/30-10/1 with a 45% discount for dvc friends, they want as many people to experience dvc as possible. Having stayed @ both, OKW is my vote! Have fun!!!

Upvote 0

Cflagg918

Just upgraded to OKW for our stay....our refund was more than just a little....we ended up saving $140!!! That money is already going into the family's drinking around the world fund!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

librarylady

I'm so jealous! I called early and our week was already sold out. :( :( Oh, well. Hopefully POP will be quieter, then? It would have been nice to stay at a more romantic place...

Upvote 0
I just got the email to upgrade our Pop Century reservation to OKW or SS. Question though: we had taken advantage of the free dining offer when we made our Pop Century reservations. If I upgrade, would that mean I would lose the free dining?

Upvote 0

BuzzComplexCM

Great topic. The fact that OKW is the original DVC will always play a factor in a debate like this. However, I stayed at Saratoga Springs when it was fairly new and not completed, so I cannot give a fair answer. I like OKW for the feeling of being in the Keys. The Jimmy Buffet music playing is a nice touch while relaxing at the Suitcase. Saratoga was a great resort to stay in when PI was open, but now that it is gone, the flair of being close to DTD is rather small.

I tried to get a few nights at OKW last week for this week, but they were full. I was upset, but had a great time at the French Quarter. So, until I spend some time at a completed Saratoga Springs, OKW wins.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom