Sadly DLP Cast Members just don't cut it!

The Empress Lilly

Hi folks!

Me and my 2 girls (no longer young) went to DLP last Tuesday and were pretty disappointed.

A lot of things were still fun like all the subtle differences. For instance, Big Thunder was nice as we cross under the river twice during the ride. We also enjoyed Hyperspace Mountain or Space Mountain with extras. Nostalgia kicked in for us on Pinocchio's and Snow White's rides. Pirates was also pleasant. We like inventive concepts for the Castle and its mighty underground Dragon but also for other attractions like Alice’s Curious Labyrinth. We are WDW regulars and seeing more roaming characters was amusing. DLP is probably more like the original in California for that regard.

Everything is there to have a great time yet there's one major problem: most cast members seemed bored, lacked spirit and were simply uninteresting. We are fluent in French yet most of them answered us in bad English. They seemed more like basic amusement park operators than Disney cast members. All in all, most just did not have the Disney touch. They also protest a lot. They don't get that canceling parades at the last minute won't help their cause. Informing guests a little in advance would at least show some respect. Sadly, from our experience on that day, their don't deserve to get more and are still lucky to get employed at all. The cancellations did not help but the rest of our interactions neither. Maybe it’s a generational thing. Hope DLP cast members will someday get it and get more into it.

Small World is a good representation of our day. It was in great shape just after renovation and its surroundings are quite neat, yet it had no spirit. Cast members could not easily point us in the correct direction and would not even respond when we waived at them.

Many guests looked like they had the obligation to be there to satisfy their children. DLP was just another amusement park for them. And probably not even a good one. The experience for all ages that you normally get at WDW or at the original Disneyland was just not there.

A lot of details were also off. A good old paper map would have been nice and probably must better than the complicated App. A lot of info was missing or not updated. Restrooms are pretty hard to find and also lack the Disney touch.

All in all, we were looking forward to our first DLP visit but it just did not satisfy our Disney craving. Sorry to blame you guys about it but you probably deserve even worse.
Strikes are a French thing. It is what it is. Though obviously I preferred they'd keep it out of the park.

One shouldn't wave for attention. This is considered rude, rather universally I think, certainly in France.

Otherwise I actually get where you're coming from with some of your points! A certain je ne sais quoi misses in DLP. Perhaps because of the CM interaction too, although this never bothers me, but I can see how it would.

Disney goes along better with that happy, smiling, enthusiastic American 'how are you today' service than with French service attitude. Which has its charm too, but perhaps feels a more natural for other environments besides the very American Disney one.

Plus, people are more at ease, more jovial and communicative beyond a mere exchange of practicalities, in their native language. This too benefits the US parks CM interaction experience. DLP has to deal with the reality of an Italian CM having to address German and Spanish speaking guests in English and French.

MarvelCharacterNerd

DLP Entertainment cast is striking because the park hired a bunch of new performers at a higher pay rate than the existing performers who had been there for years.

The existing Cast Members just want pay parity with the newbies. Not an unreasonable demand considering they have years more experience than those who were just hired to fill the roles.

cjkeating

Me and my 2 girls (no longer young) went to DLP last Tuesday and were pretty disappointed.
First just let me say I am sorry you had a bad day, I'm not quite sure where you are from (Canada if you speak French?) but it's quite a common issue that non-Europeans or Europeans who frequent Florida don't 'get' the differences in how the park operates and that you aren't visiting a Floridian Disney bubble in France.
We are fluent in French yet most of them answered us in bad English.
As I said above, not sure where you are from? Unless you are French it's typical they'll just speak to you in English as for 99% of guests it's easier for them to speak to you that way as opposed to trying to deal with someone trying to speak French when they know more English.
They also protest a lot.
That's a broad statement, I honestly can't remember when we last had protests in the park... there was a brief period when 3rd party cleaners were protesting in the morning but that was pre-COVID. For Disney employed Cast Members it must be around 10 years at a guess. I don't think that's a lot.
Sadly, from our experience on that day, their don't deserve to get more and are still lucky to get employed at all.
They all have the right to strike and that's what they are doing... recruiting staff is really difficult so Disneyland Paris doesn't need to be losing Cast Members or getting rid of them for striking as it'll just be even more difficult to get people to replace them. Not only that with the reopening of DLH and WDSP they are going to have to attract even more people to work there. The lack of staff has had tangible impacts on the park such as not being able to do a dinner seating at Walt's or breakfast seating at Auberge. They wanted to do this a year ago but it's taken that long to be able to recruit enough to do so.
Many guests looked like they had the obligation to be there to satisfy their children. DLP was just another amusement park for them. And probably not even a good one. The experience for all ages that you normally get at WDW or at the original Disneyland was just not there.
Again this might be a cultural thing... but when I am at WDW I see so many multi-generational families who look like they are there out of obligation. Not everyone of course but there are families with teenagers who look bored or grandparents who look like they really don't want to do be outside in 40 degree heat all day. Also I see so much more 'organised fun' at WDW with parents berating kids for not having a good time like their parents thing they should be. To me everyone seems a lot more chilled and relaxed at DLP than in Florida.
Hope DLP cast members will someday get it and get more into it.
I've never had any major issues with DLP Cast Members... yes some look grumpy but in April I saw countless WDW Cast Members who looked like they hoped the ground would open up beneath their feet. I'd say there has been an noticeable shift in the 'happiness' of some groups of Cast Members such as the red/DLP 30 costumed guest control and the capabilities of servers in the table/buffet restaurants. There is still more that can be done but it will never get anywhere near the 'excessive [fake?] happiness' of the WDW Cast Members.

Jordan dby

I also love DLP but recognise that those looking for a 6th (or 7th but let's not kid ourselves) florida park will be disappointed.

I love the campus element of it, staying in a nice disney hotel which doesn't cost the earth and walking everywhere. I love that there are spaces, flowers and walk throughs everywhere rather than every last bit of space crammed with a ride. I also prefer a 2-3 regular visit rather than a 2 week holiday.

The whole experience in Paris is just more relaxing than florida or even california. I do enjoy the US parks too but DLP is genuinely my favourite.

I find the cast members more than polite enough everywhere. I think customers in Paris can take the a bit sometimes (climbing onto stages, harassing character performers, smoking etc), but that's it.

WDWLover#1

and would not even respond when we waived at them
When I worked in a theme park if anyone 'waved' at me I would find that very rude and not give my usual 'cheery' response, instead the one that requires minimal effort. Most people who work in theme parks would probably say the same thing. Theme parks are tough environments to work in.

If that's how you treated cast members - maybe you're not used to the American guest service standard of being nice 24/7. In Europe if you're rude, you're more likely to get rudeness back.

Dear Prudence

I think a lot depends on luck of the day and who you meet. I find DLP cast members on average as good as the florida and california ones (my last visit to california was probably my worst experience with average cast members).

This has to be compared with a French culture that has a very different customer service culture than America, DLP does very well mostly to raise the customer service to the level it has.
The worst experiences I've ever had were at DLR last year. I am not one of those people who expect to be waited on, I'm not a diva or anything, but I couldn't believe how legitimately awful it was. At least with DLP I know that there are a few cultural differences, but I've never had an issue.

Buried20KLeague

Regarding the next strike - some flexibility for guests

Howdy Martin. Long time, no talk. Hope you're good.

We're headed there the last three days of this month. Do strikes like this usually last that long? I'm quite paranoid about the end of the night show getting killed by a strike. The only other time we were there in 2009, they weren't doing a show because of the time of year. March, I think it was. I can deal with scaled down or killed parades... But I'd really like to see the fireworks and drones over that castle.

Also... Is this just front of line CM's? I'm wondering if maintenance is effected. Pirates currently looks to be reopening on July 1st, our last day there. Fingers crossed the calendar is accurate...

Vegas Disney Fan

We’ll be taking our 4th trip to DLP in a few months and it’ll be the 4th time unrest has been a possibility. The first couple were potential mass transit strikes, the 3rd was around the time of the yellow vest protests, and now this. Thankfully none of them have impacted our vacation but we just kind of expect a potential strike or protest now when we go to Paris.

France is still one of our favorite places in the world though, both DLP and Paris itself are beautiful.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Howdy Martin. Long time, no talk. Hope you're good.

We're headed there the last three days of this month. Do strikes like this usually last that long? I'm quite paranoid about the end of the night show getting killed by a strike. The only other time we were there in 2009, they weren't doing a show because of the time of year. March, I think it was. I can deal with scaled down or killed parades... But I'd really like to see the fireworks and drones over that castle.

Also... Is this just front of line CM's? I'm wondering if maintenance is effected. Pirates currently looks to be reopening on July 1st, our last day there. Fingers crossed the calendar is accurate...
Hello stranger! I’m better than I was thank you. Getting there.

I’d hope Dreams and D Light wouldn’t be affected. So far the strikes have been in the daytime, although they’re ramping up the frequency from today. Thus far some attraction capacity seems to have been affected but no forced closures due to third shift. Even though France is tolerant of protests I feel there is a line that if crossed would loose them a lot of support.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom