Sad News for Mission: Space

Main Street USA

Originally posted by spider-man
I knew it was the Earful Tower before. The point I was making is that at that time the Chinese theatre was much more noticeable and was considered an Icon. Something to associate to the park, like ToT is also. At least know the Hat makes more sense because of it's placement in the park. The Earful Tower just never stood out like SE, the Castle, or the Tree do. I remember my first visit to MGM, I was like... where is the Water Tower?

Agreed, back in the days when it had first opened, I would always wonder why it was so far off to the side. Not to mention the fact that it's a little small to represent something so grand as an entire park.

I'm pretty sure the letter said that Al Wiess could see the mountain becoming like a park icon. He NEVER said it would. I would imagine it would be the same type of thing as Tower of Terror. It's gonna be too big to ignore, and will certainly be the first thing we see when pulling up and entering the park, but I'm certian the Tree of Life will remain the parks sole icon.

Tim G

Re: Honeymoon

Originally posted by schmott
My future wife and I are heading to Disney World for our honeymoon. I was looking forward to Mission: Space, but we are already booked for the week after the 4th of July. :mad:

What are the chances of getting to ride Mission: Space before August 15th?

Here's the scale (1 to 100) again...

2 %

LOL

Sorry... it's Sad!!!

(Edited because of typo)

CTXRover

Originally posted by spider-man
Why? I think the net explanation was clear enough. You keep it secret and as soon as it does soft open everyone will know about it anyway in today's age, so what's the point.

It does kind of make sense for them to announce it because, like you said, if they didn't and as soon as it opened "we" would all know about it because of the internet.

However, announcing it almost 3 months ahead of time gives people the opportunity to plan/move trips to this date to ride it. This is where problems could arise with guests if the ride does not work quite right.

I'm sure there was a reason for announcing a "soft open", but even on the official MS site (updated today :) ) it says it will open its doors Aug 15th. It doesn't say anything about it being a preview period when problems could happen. Perhaps they have a lot of confidence in the ride and don't expect problems and thus aren't worried about announcing a specific day for the start of previews.

MicBat

It says that EE will have the biggest drop in a WDW attraction (or something like that). What previously held the title for biggest drop?? Was it TOT??

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by CTXRover
It does kind of make sense for them to announce it because, like you said, if they didn't and as soon as it opened "we" would all know about it because of the internet.

However, announcing it almost 3 months ahead of time gives people the opportunity to plan/move trips to this date to ride it. This is where problems could arise with guests if the ride does not work quite right.

I'm sure there was a reason for announcing a "soft open", but even on the official MS site (updated today :) ) it says it will open its doors Aug 15th. It doesn't say anything about it being a preview period when problems could happen. Perhaps they have a lot of confidence in the ride and don't expect problems and thus aren't worried about announcing a specific day for the start of previews.

The fact that Disney has announced this 3 months in advance and has released an official press release (it is a press release now--check the official Mission: SPACE site) stating that it will open August 15th leads me to believe that this is, perhaps, not a soft opening in the usual sense, but a "preview", as in it will be open like it would on a normal day, with the disclaimer that it could shut down--sort of like Test Track on a normal day. They are obviously confident enough that it will be running at full capacity at that point to announce it as the opening date. An official grand opening during the off season makes sense as crowds will naturally be lower in October. I see this as a buffer period so that there will never be 4 hour lines for this attraction, which makes further sense with the date they chose--the last weekend of Disney World's summer season, when crowds suddenly drop off. Therefore, being that it is three months down the road, if they still decide to have an unnannounced soft opening, which is always a possibility--certainly nothing to bet on, but always a possibility, they could have it during the summer season, yet unannounced, keeping lines down. Just because we would know about such a soft opening does not mean EVERYONE would. Keep in mind, most Disney guests do not pay the same close attention to daily Disney news as we do. This is how soft openings have always been run, and they have not run into a problem with this system yet. Therefore, I still believe this ride could open before the 15th, but I won't disguise this as fact--take that as your disclaimer. The fact that Disney sent this message to travel agents and Cast Members first leads me to believe they want Cast Members to tell their families to come down and enjoy this ride, and they want travel agents to start booking trips for the FALL for guests to see this attraction. Again, they picked the last weekend of the summer season to open this attraction--they already know the summer season will be busy, which would make sense based on current crowds, so they want guests to come in the traditionally light fall season. Just my thoughts, though--I could see why they would cloak this buffer period as a "preview", in case things do break down, while feeling that SPACE will not be broken most of the time--therefore announcing this date to the public. It would just give them an extra few months to work any bugs out. I am still hopeful that it will open before the 15th--anything is possible, so how you can assign percent chances for each individual date is beyond me. Disney has never done this before. None of us know anything about this, nor will we know anything until the first guests ride. But, the fact that Steve has seen videos of this attraction working, I am certainly encouraged--that and if you go to Screamscape today, you can see some AMAZING pictures of the post-show area--clearly nearing completion. I am encouraged by such pictures, in addition to the release of our first SPACE pins, the testing of signage outdoors, word that three of the four centrifuges are now complete (we know for sure that two are finished, as Marty Sklar announced, but I have heard from several cast members that word is the third is complete, as well), the installation of Fastpass kiosks, and the overall tone of the new press release tells me the ride is near completion. I realize this has been an extremely long thread, but I just wanted to get these ideas out. They are simply that--ideas, not fact, so don't start PMing me for a percent chance that you can ride the attraction at 1:03 pm on July 29th. No one knows the answer, and I will not and no one else should pretend to know. All we can do at this point is, as always, speculate. Need I remind you that over the weekend a Disney spokesperson told a news station in Florida that the ride would not open until the fall, so things are clearly changing rapidly here, and there doesn't even seem to be concensus between the various departments of Disney--management, Imagineering, attractions cast members. Do not be fooled by anyone, myself included, attempting to present themselves as an expert.

MicBat--yes, the Tower of Terror currently has the largest drop. Including the break run, you are talking roughly 150 feet.

Ablirien

Video released

There's a video of some of the interior of the ride at MouseInfo.com. From the video, this ride really looks good and the people riding it sure seem to enjoy it a lot.

MicBat

Re: Video released

Originally posted by Ablirien
There's a video of some of the interior of the ride at MouseInfo.com. From the video, this ride really looks good and the people riding it sure seem to enjoy it a lot.
This video is INCREDIBLE!!!! :sohappy: I'm pumped now!! Thanks for the link! :wave:

jrashadb

dude...

I'm sorry... I'm a wdwmagic guy forever. I love this site and I think Steve is awesome and has done an absolutely tremendous job coverig the whole M:S thing... and, maybe I've just missed it here and I'm dumb (which is entirely possible)...
But, I just watched the video on that <i>other</i> site and I have to say that I'm more excited about riding this thing than I've ever been.
Thank god I'm a passholder and I can roll up in Epcot in, like, November when the park is a virutal ghost town and jump on this ride over and over again... like when I strolled up to the soft opening of the new drop sequences at ToT in the rain and rode the ride, like, 5 times before I headed off to see Fantasmic.
I don't even have the words to describe how excited I am... wow. The faces of the people riding the ride are just... amazing... and hearing their reaction.
I'm dying... this is worse than waiting for TT to open.

This ride is going to change everything...

MicBat

Originally posted by jrashadb
The faces of the people riding the ride are just... amazing... and hearing their reaction.
I'm dying... this is worse than waiting for TT to open.

This ride is going to change everything...
My sentiments exactly! Did you catch the girl cursing.. "holy Sh***"

Hank Scorpio

OMG!

Cool video - this ride looks awesome!!!!

What was that spinning round thing with the blue lights and the chambers? Is that the ride?!?!?!?!?

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by MicBat
My sentiments exactly! Did you catch the girl cursing.. "holy Sh***"

:lol: I know!!! I am surprised Disney put that in there b-roll. Very Cool stuff! :D

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Originally posted by Hank Scorpio
What was that spinning round thing with the blue lights and the chambers? Is that the ride?!?!?!?!?

It's in the queue. Look at that room's concept art:

mspace_conceptare_queue%20copy.jpg

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Hank Scorpio
OMG!

Cool video - this ride looks awesome!!!!

No. That's a gravity wheel, and you will find that in the queue--it shows how they simulate gravity in space.

I think it is clear this ride is nearly complete--I still have faith it will open before the 15th, but time will tell:) No promises from me now...but, again, from seeing that video and some other thoughts I'll leave out for now, I have a feeling guests will be riding this before August 15th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom