???'s about Poly. vs. Grand Floridian

Dwarful

Ok. Looks like we will be going to WDW June 6-13. Using the 4/3 offer. The 11th is hubby's birthday. Now the big question is...should we go for the Poly (and if so should we upgrade the theme park view?) or should we go for the Grand Floridian?
Family includes my husband and two daughters 8 & 12--oh yeah me too!
We have stayed at all the values, OKW, and Coronado.

We have visited both the Poly and Grand Floridian. Our favorite parks are MK, Epcot, MGM and then AK. Since we haven't stayed at either of these resorts were unsure which to try first. And I'd like to get my final decision really final before springing yet another change on Pam!
Thanks for your input!

yankspy

That is a tough one. I have stayed at both and they are similar IMO as far as what they offer. Both have monorail access, both have great restaurants, and both have a great atmosphere. The kids might enjoy the Poly a little more. Either way you will not be disappointed.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would go for the Poly. As already stated both offer pretty much the same services and amenities however, IMHO there is nothing all that unique about the GF. It is really nothing more than a big fancy resort and really lacks the charm and suspension of reality that the Poly offers. GF has a nice pool the Poly has a volcano slide, at the GF you stay in buildings but at the Poly you stay in long houses with names such as Tahiti and Samoa, the GF has soft serve and the Poly has Dole Whips, etc,etc.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Last year, I would have said the Poly, as it was always our dream resort. After having stayed there, I would chose the GF. The Poly was a big let down for us. The resort is pretty, but many things, albeit maybe minor, made me feel disappointed for such an expensive resort:

- So many areas in desperate need of a paint job.
- The elevators in the longhouse (at least ours) was beyond small, worn looking, and sounded terrible.
- The windows near Ohana and the Tambu Lounge looked as if they hadn't been cleaned in months.
- About 25% of the tiki torches weren't lit at night.
- The bus service was abysmal (but the GF isn't much better from what I understand.)
- The rooms, though large, lacked something. Rooms at WL are much more interesting.
- Captain Cook's food was terrible.
- The bartenders at Tambu Lounge are rude.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Original Poster
Well now that I know the Poly has Dole Whips that might give undue influence to certain members of the family ;) IF we do go for the Poly is it worth it to pay the extra $$ ( I think it was about $660 for the week) for the "Theme Park View"? We have done pref. view at some of the other resorts...mostly values and didn't feel it was worth it. I honestly don't know how much time we will spend in the room itself. However, both resorts seemed huge and at the end of the night that can be an awfully long walk.

Thanks for the info on the buses as well. You always here about them at the values but nothing much said about the dlx. resorts.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well now that I know the Poly has Dole Whips that might give undue influence to certain members of the family ;) IF we do go for the Poly is it worth it to pay the extra $$ ( I think it was about $660 for the week) for the "Theme Park View"? We have done pref. view at some of the other resorts...mostly values and didn't feel it was worth it. I honestly don't know how much time we will spend in the room itself. However, both resorts seemed huge and at the end of the night that can be an awfully long walk.

Thanks for the info on the buses as well. You always here about them at the values but nothing much said about the dlx. resorts.
Honestly I have never found it worth it to pay for a view. Like you I am rarely in the room so the view goes largely unused. For the times that I would like the view (ie during Wishes) it can be had for free outside of the room. I would book a standard view and if the Tiki Gods see fit you might get one of those elusive free upgrades.

In regards to the buses.....The monorail resorts have some of the worst bus service that I have ever experienced at WDW including the All Stars.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
My preference would be for the Poly.
I was never a big fan of paying more for view, as we're not in the rooms that much to make a difference. At either, you can enjoy a walk along the waterfront any time for a great view.
GF is a short walk from Poly, so you can easily enjoy amenities of both (restaurants/bars) as well as the gym and spa.
While I don't fine the GF "stuffy" as many seem to, it also isn't that much a novel or unique environment (like my feelings towards the Contemporary) as others Disney offers (like the Poly)

Upvote 0

happymom52003

My vote would be for the Poly. We just stayed there last month for the first time after always staying at the WL and LOVED everything about it. I've never stayed at the GF.

Our very favorite thing about staying at the Poly was being able to walk to the TTC to get on the Epcot monorail line. I can't even begin to tell you how much we loved being able to do that! That reason alone would make me choose Poly over the GF.

The resort is not as big as you might think. When you look at a map, it does seem like there would be alot of walking, but in reality it is not bad at all. Have you checked out Tikiman's website about the Poly? http://tikiman2001.homestead.com/
He has some intersting numbers on there about walking distances at the Poly....it really is not bad at all.

We stayed in the Tokelau longhouse which is centrally located. It was no problem at all walking to any spot on property or to the TTC.

Upvote 0

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
The only resort we found was worth paying for the view was AKL. Which is one of our favorites. We also love the cabins at FW.

Upvote 0

Edeyore

I would say the Poly. We went with our boys when they were the same ages as your girls. It is great to sit on the beach and watch the fireworks. If you stay in the park late, it is great to have the monorail pull up to the hotel. (I know same for GF) The Poly also has the luau right there, which we always found very enjoyable. I like the combination of convenience and atmosphere.

Upvote 0

lbrad

POLY!!! I have stayed at Poly and really enjoyed it. I think your kids would like the pool at Poly better. Poly has a nice ambiance to it...GF is way too stuffy!

I am never one to pay for upgrades/better view. Kids are old enough to walk...enjoy the atmosphere as you stroll the grounds:)

Upvote 0

momofnine

We just stayed at the GF in December and Loved it. We had a castle view room and it was GREAT. I stayed up all night and watched them play with the lighting on the Castle... wish I were there right now! Everyone at the GF was very friendly and helpful. I hear alot of people say that they love the Poly also. I think that you can't go wrong with either one....Have a magical time! :wave:

Upvote 0

NadieMasK2

Having only stayed in moderates but visited both resorts several times, I would actually go against the grain here and choose GF. I do love to visit the Poly for dinner, but to me there has just always been something special about the GF. Just seeing it from the monorail, it's just so, well, grand! Having been to tropical locations, I just don't feel like it is worth the extra $ to stay at the Poly, but the GF feels very first class to me.

Some day I hope to make it there.

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

Have stayed in the GF and loved it. Have never stayed at Poly, though we've eaten there several times. From a transportation point of view, Poly would be better if for nothing but the Epcot access via the TTC.

Bus service is not wonderful at either, as near as I can tell.

I'd go with GF and get the Castle View, Seven Seas Lagoon view or whatever they call it these days. I can only tell you that I've loved staying on the Seven Seas Lagoon side at GF and Contemporary, watching the monorails run round and round far into the night.

GF has more restaurants and bars, if you care. We didn't find it stuffy when we were there and we were there with a 4-month-old and a 3-year-old.

Bottom line, you have no bad choices here. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I've stayed at both resorts and really like them both but my vote goes with the Grand Floridian. I used to think it was stuffy before I stayed there. I love the rooms, I love the views and I love the overall layout of the resort. We did stay on the concierge level which was wonderful.

I do agree that the view really does not matter at either of these resorts. They are both beautiful and you will be happy no matter which one you choose. I would go with the least expensive garden view.

I do love listening to the Lilo and Stitch soundtrack playing in the main gift shop at the Poly....and the dole whips.

Go with what you feel.... you already know which resort you want.

Pam

Upvote 0

Mr.EPCOT

The BEAUTIFUL POLYNESIAN VILLAGE!!!! It just has that something special. Better theme, better restaurants, better rooms, better pools, better everything! :D

The Grand Floridian is just okay.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom