runDisney Springtime Surprise Weekend

Figment82

I’m a little (springtime) surprised that the 5K is still the only race sold out. I figured that between the younger crowd and the parents-with-youngish-children crowd, Pixar themes would’ve had a higher demand. Although I’m thrilled that it seems everybody got what they were aiming for this morning!
I know there was a lot of chatter in the FB groups that it’s too close to Easter/spring break so it’d be taking extra time off work/school. Plus there are a lot of other races during that time period (I saw someone debating RnR Nashville and Springtime Surprise, for example). This has always been the least popular weekend of the 4 - I think the throwback theme of last year actually helped a lot (not to mention the pent-up demand for running events in general).

But I agree, I thought the theme was cute and perfect for families and I’m a little surprised that it’s only the 5K at this point as well.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I know there was a lot of chatter in the FB groups that it’s too close to Easter/spring break so it’d be taking extra time off work/school. Plus there are a lot of other races during that time period (I saw someone debating RnR Nashville and Springtime Surprise, for example). This has always been the least popular weekend of the 4 - I think the throwback theme of last year actually helped a lot (not to mention the pent-up demand for running events in general).

But I agree, I thought the theme was cute and perfect for families and I’m a little surprised that it’s only the 5K at this point as well.
plus the weather in Mid-April is completely unpredictable. It could be 80 or it could be 60

pdude81

The sunrise you says it's at DHS. But the rest of the races are at Epcot. Not sure that makes any sense. Do people really want to do the yoga is it's not in front of the castle? It seems that they don't

Figment82

plus the weather in Mid-April is completely unpredictable. It could be 80 or it could be 60
Oh yes, that too, for sure! Like the humidity during this year’s 10K that was so thick, I swear you could have cut it with a knife. I’m used to running in FL, but that was intense! Throw in the forecast of storms all weekend, the shortened 5K, it was a fun time! Haha!

I remember the Star Wars half in 2018 was also particularly hot. I was about 5.5 months pregnant, and I was really questioning why I continued to do these races. 😂

GimpYancIent

I am sure the races will eventually fill up. The enthusiasm for run Disney that existed pre-COVID is just not there. Disney has really done nothing to stimulate the enthusiasm post-COVID. What happened with chEAR squad?, What happened with the kids races?. Do something like maybe contract with another running shoe manufacturer for themed running shoes but do something.

pdude81

Gone are the days of the 15-to-20-minute total sell outs for run-Disney events! Run Disney needs a refresh.
I feel like this is a reasonable amount of time for a race to sell through the shorter distances. The insanity of Marathon Weekend registration this year was gross. So for 10 thousand or so entries to a destination race at the end of some Easter breaks, this isn't terrible.

I do wonder if some people just bought the Challenge so they could do the 5k and not have to raise an extra thousand bucks to do so. They don't release the registration numbers do they? Just finishers counts and times?

Figment82

Star Wars hardly sold out either - I think in 2019 (its last year), you could still register at the Expo. runDisney hype goes in waves, and I think the post-pandemic world created a very unique situation. I think it’s great that a race has availability for at least a few days after registration opens - no one should have to stress more over getting *into* the race than running the race itself!

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Star Wars hardly sold out either - I think in 2019 (its last year), you could still register at the Expo. runDisney hype goes in waves, and I think the post-pandemic world created a very unique situation. I think it’s great that a race has availability for at least a few days after registration opens - no one should have to stress more over getting *into* the race than running the race itself!
I can confirm, I signed up for the challenge about a week or two beforehand for Star Wars 2019

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Gone are the days of the 15-to-20-minute total sell outs for run-Disney events! Run Disney needs a refresh.

April is tough for races in Florida. The demand just isn't there. The weather can be iffy (hot/humid) plus there are a bunch of bigger/national races that month. Star Wars had the same (little) demand

GimpYancIent

Though I believe Star Wars Darks Side (WDW), Light Side (DL) in conjunction with the Kessel Run Challenge (both coasts in the same year) was far more popular than this Springtime Surprise the time of year does slow the clamor for registrations. Regardless the Springtime Surprise is but a shadow of what once was.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I don’t normally collect that many pins but given the theme and my excitement in addition to the Weekend event pin bundle, and commemorative weekend bundle I already bought at registration just went ahead and added the limited edition pin set. I should have a complete set now for this weekend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom