Run, Stitch! Recycled ride to be your fate

PurpleDragon

Stich fan said:
Here's 3 resons why SGE is here
1.TOO SCARY:just by looking at that alien will send you nightmares for those who are easly scared.SOLUION:Get stich, and you got happy dreams(almost)
2A REALLY REALY REALLY LONG PERIOD OF DARKNESS:A person who dosent like the dark will SCREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM in the darkness.SOLUTION:A shorter period of darkness...A mo of dark which lasts about 5mins(im not so accruate at this stuff)
3CREEPY SENSORY EFFECTS:I think the effects are too creepey.(ALIENS,don,t eatme eat this one)i read a script.SOULITON:Make it funny. Try a chilli dog burp.
im not being offensive.
The whole problem with SGE is that they took a thrill attraction that was meant to be scary and a total sensory overload, and tried to add a cuteness factor. Thats like trying to add little pink bunnies all over the Hulk coaster over at IOA, just not happening.

The original attraction was designed to be a thrill attraction and unless you gut it and start over, its always going to have that feel to it. Sensory experiences such as that and similar dark ride attractions are intense, regardless of the subject matter.

So something tells me that no matter how much they tweek it, SGE is still going to scare the hell out of little kids, which is sad because they are trying to make their target audience younger children.

Lorien

I saw it last week and it wasn't horrible--horrible, as in "Journey into your Imagination" horrible. And thanks to all of you, I knew to hold my breath for the chili dog burp! One observation: I saw a cast member with a flashlight looking for scared kids during the dark scene, and he did have a taker. I don't think I'll waste my time riding it again though, I'd rather be on Space Mountain!

dxwwf3

PurpleDragon said:
The whole problem with SGE is that they took a thrill attraction that was meant to be scary and a total sensory overload, and tried to add a cuteness factor. Thats like trying to add little pink bunnies all over the Hulk coaster over at IOA, just not happening.

The original attraction was designed to be a thrill attraction and unless you gut it and start over, its always going to have that feel to it. Sensory experiences such as that and similar dark ride attractions are intense, regardless of the subject matter.

So something tells me that no matter how much they tweek it, SGE is still going to scare the hell out of little kids, which is sad because they are trying to make their target audience younger children.

Bingo! :sohappy:

Stitchfan712

HennieBogan1966 said:
I would agree that based on some of the comments that I have read that some "toning" down needs to be done for the smaller kids on this attraction. And I would agree as I have also said, that the #'s have got to be there in order to justify an attractions existence. But it's been open all of what 2 1/2 months? Don't we all think it could use a little more time. Let's see what it does its first summer next year, before we pass judgement on whether or not it's been a success. I for one don't want WDW to become this place where attractions are opened and shut down within a year because people don't like them right out of the box, and Disney feels "pressure" to make changes.

SGE has been open exactly 1 month today.

Official Opening, that is. November 16 2004. If you go back to the AP previews and cast previews, then SGE is 1 1/2 months old.

Stitchfan712

ChrisH9339 said:
I agree that Stitch is a mediocre attraction at best, but I blame the Disney hype machine for the so-called failures of this attraction. I always considered AE a middle of the road attraction, and that's what I was expecting of Stitch. And that's what it is. It's one of those attractions that gets grouped in the rides/attractions I won't wait in long lines for, but I will do with an extra fastpass or a short wait in the standby queue.

The problem is, Disney turned an animated character that isn't as popular as they think he is into something he's not. Lilo and Stitch isn't Aladdin. It isn't the Little Mermaid. It isn't the Lion King. Heck, it's not Toy Story. Face it, the moneymakers are Pixar these days (and what FOOLS they are for letting them go away). But, when I see Stitch all over the place in pin form, all over the Osbourne display at MGM, and (worst of all) as a part of the new monorail spiel, you get the sense that Disney is trying to artifically generate a classic character; sort of a shoving down one's throat.

With all the hype Disney has affixed to Stitch, how can you not think the ride will be great? That's where I think the big letdown is. Plus, I think another failure is how I'm supposed to feel at the end. We failed in our mission of protecting the prisoner, and Stitch didn't do anything to win us over and want him to escape. I think the story is fine leading up into the chamber-- and even during it, until the end. I left the attraction feeling confused, but was entertained up to that point.

I don't think it's fair to slam WDI, as they have turned out Mission Space and Philharmagic recently... as well as three new rides on the horizon (have you SEEN Everest? that's going to be insane!), even though two are re-treads. A more creative ending would probably suffice to make a complete experience. But, the blame has to squarely go to the marketing "geniuses" who's number one goal is to peddle t-shirts and pins of Stitch, in a contrived effort to make him a classic character. But, if their target audience is either crying after it or calling this attraction "stupid", they have obviously failed.

Erm...if you think Stitch isn't a popular character and that he's only around because Disney is trying to force the public to accept him as a classic character, you've got another thing coming.

Let's not forget how many times management tried to torpedo the movie itself with budget and promotion cuts. And how uncle Mike is still sore at that movie for stealing the audience and box office meant for Treasure Planet (according to reports).

Fact is, the public likes Stitch, disney responded by putting more Stitch stuff out, and it did so slowly. It was a full year after the release of the movie before the first adult-sized Stitch T-shirts came out.

The problem now seems to be that disney may be OVER-responding to that demand, saturating the market, which could lead to a public burn-out with Stitch.

I hope that doesn't happen and that someone at disney eases off the gas pedal for a bit. I love Stitch and I'd hate to see him go the way of a fad. I desperately want to see him continue the longevity he has enjoyed so far.

The overall letdown of SGE does nothing to help deflect ideas such as yours though...that the attraction was built to push merchandise, and nothing more.

If you'll notice, all of Disney's e-tickets empty into themed gift shops. Tower of Terror, Pirates, etc...all of them, have a gift shop at the end to try and take your money from you. Disney is a business afterall. SGE is no different. It empties into a gift shop.

there's nothing sinister or sneaky about that, there's no "conspiracy". That is, no moreso than any other disney e-ticket. They all, hopefully, will push sales of merchandise in the gift shops.

The problem here is that those other e-tickets thoroughly impress people. The merch thing is just part of the exit. SGE is not impressing people as much as I'd hope for, and disney would hope for...so people are reading into things way too much here.

If SGE was a slam-dunk awesome attraction with a huge re-rideability factor, I seriously, seriously doubt many people here would be saying stuff like "It's just there to push merchandise."

Don't let your disappointment cloud the realities. All the e-tickets have gift shops.

Testtrack321

Stitchfan712 said:
If SGE was a slam-dunk awesome attraction with a huge re-rideability factor, I seriously, seriously doubt many people here would be saying stuff like "It's just there to push merchandise."

Oh ________, you got us. If Disney created a high quality ride, invested loads of money into a good story, effects, and overall attraction, then yes, we wouldn't complain about the gift shop.

THATS THE POINT. Disney didn't create a huge, great attraction, they did a half-______ job and then re-did the exits to a gift shop to push plush.

Legacy

Testtrack321 said:
Oh ________, you got us. If Disney created a high quality ride, invested loads of money into a good story, effects, and overall attraction, then yes, we wouldn't complain about the gift shop.

THATS THE POINT. Disney didn't create a huge, great attraction, they did a half-______ job and then re-did the exits to a gift shop to push plush.
Exactly!

Disney made a point to remodel one of the theaters simply so it would empty into a gift shop. If that's not a signal about how important the merchandise is on this attraction... I don't know what is.

dxwwf3

Legacy said:
Exactly!

Disney made a point to remodel one of the theaters simply so it would empty into a gift shop. If that's not a signal about how important the merchandise is on this attraction... I don't know what is.

Excellent point Legacy. That right there should have been a big warning to us all.

dxwwf3

Legacy said:
I'm amazed none of us caught that one earlier on...

Well I don't want to toot my own horn......but during my ramblings right after AE was closed, I did think that it was kind of fishy. Mainly because I remember how much AE merchandise there was in the MoV and they didn't see the need to make both chambers exit out into the shop. That really felt weird to me. But I was only being bitter about AE closing on alot of things, so alot of my "good points" got brushed aside. And I do admit that alot of my bad comments were made out of anger back then. But alot of what I said did actually come true :wave:

Legacy

dxwwf3 said:
Well I don't want to toot my own horn......but during my ramblings right after AE was closed, I did think that it was kind of fishy. Mainly because I remember how much AE merchandise there was in the MoV and they didn't see the need to make both chambers exit out into the shop. That really felt weird to me. But I was only being bitter about AE closing on alot of things, so alot of my "good points" got brushed aside. And I do admit that alot of my bad comments were made out of anger back then. But alot of what I said did actually come true :wave:
I also thought your views were completely valid within the context of the AE vs Stitch debates. And yeah, I remember the construction being mentioned when it was first completed. However, with all of the discontent with SGE we've been having it STILL hasn't brought up again. That rerouting is the primium example of Disney's concern with this attraction, but it's kinda been shuffled under the rug.

dxwwf3

Legacy said:
I also thought your views were completely valid within the context of the AE vs Stitch debates. And yeah, I remember the construction being mentioned when it was first completed. However, with all of the discontent with SGE we've been having it STILL hasn't brought up again. That rerouting is the primium example of Disney's concern with this attraction, but it's kinda been shuffled under the rug.

Thank you.

And you're right. Nobody has mentioned it. I wonder what it looks like. I haven't seen any pictures of the way it looks in Star Traders and how the rerouting looks itself.

Stitchfan712

As I said earlier, though, most if not all e-tickets have a gift shop and the goal is to get people to buy stuff.

SGE is no different. Disney re-routed the exit to push plush. Correct.

But that wouldn't be an issue if the ride was actually acceptable to MOSt people.

But it isn't. Therein lies the problem and the focus on these other things. No one would complain about the gift shop if SGE was awesome.

Pains me to say this, as i love SGE so much. But gotta face reality. People don't like it. :(

Indy95

Stitchfan712 said:
As I said earlier, though, most if not all e-tickets have a gift shop and the goal is to get people to buy stuff.

SGE is no different. Disney re-routed the exit to push plush. Correct.
We're not complaining because SGE has a gift shop. We're complaining because the gift shop was MORE IMPORTANT to Disney than the attraction itself!!! You're not going to get people to take an expensive immersive storytelling dream vacation because of the shops.

Stitchfan712 said:
But that wouldn't be an issue if the ride was actually acceptable to MOSt people.
Exactly! This would mean that the attraction CAME FIRST! Intention is everything, and guests can sense it.

Our argument is simply that SGE was made almost as an afterthought to the gift shop and how much Stitch plush it would sell. Management saw the merchandise potential and asked, "Can this be done cheaply?" And voila! An underwhelming attraction is built!

Stitchfan712

Indy95 said:
We're not complaining because SGE has a gift shop. We're complaining because the gift shop was MORE IMPORTANT to Disney than the attraction itself!!! You're not going to get people to take an expensive immersive storytelling dream vacation because of the shops.

Exactly! This would mean that the attraction CAME FIRST! Intention is everything, and guests can sense it.

Our argument is simply that SGE was made almost as an afterthought to the gift shop and how much Stitch plush it would sell. Management saw the merchandise potential and asked, "Can this be done cheaply?" And voila! An underwhelming attraction is built!

I'm going to shock everyone.

I agree.

dxwwf3

Stitchfan712 said:
I'm going to shock everyone.

I agree.

I think you're starting to come around. Much like I did after the AE closure. For a while there just about everything I posted was full of anger (because of the shock of everything. I mean only 8 years for a major attraction?).

The sooner SGE closes, the sooner a better attraction will emerge. That doesn't mean I'm going to see it ( :animwink: ), but I am still hoping for the rehab to be a success.

Stitchfan712

The inherent problem is that the ride fails to impress on the first run. It's an attraction that requires repeat visits to fully appreciate. Or rather, to enjoy.

As i said elsewhere, day guests at the MK do not have the time or patience to go back several times to "try and enjoy SGE". IF they're disappointed the first time, that's it, the ride is written off for the remainder of their vacation. A shame really, but first impressions rule.

And it is very difficult to get something to impact people the FIRST time AND give it longevity. A problem with attractions with a lot of oomph, is that the second time you go, you know what to expect and can be let down. So it's the reverse effect.

SGE: Better with repeat visits
SOME e-tickets: Worse with repeat visits

The best kind (no s sherlock) is the one that keeps people coming back, never disappointing. Rockin Rollercoaster would be one of those, or Space Mountain, or Big Thunder. But whoops, those are coasters. Stitch is a decidedly different kind of attraction, and dare i say, more difficult to make a success out of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom