Run, Stitch! Recycled ride to be your fate

cm1988

Gobble

Bingo, Mike Thomas!

Recycled is exactly the word for it, and what a pity to waste the latest truly original all-Disney character - also last (for a while) great hand-drawn character - on this half-baked turkey.

NTI2002

Comic genious?

you know, I can spit fart and burp in peoples faces too, but no one calls me a comic genious.

I really will never understand why people love this character so much.

I mean I think taht farts are funny and all...but c'mon. if all a character can do is gross out humor don't people think that's really stale?

TikiBears

Its because we are Americans. And for some reason the spread sheet at Disneys "Accountineering" shows that burp and fart jokes are what we "collectively" from coast to coast and border to border yearn for. yuckyuck

AEfx

Stitchfan712 said:
Stitch has never farted.
I'll take your word for it.

I do know that he burps and spits, as I witnessed it during my visit to SGE.

The point is, Disney has been playing on fart jokes and bodily function humor for quite some time, and Stitch is really the epitome of it.

That type of humor suits some people; others find it repulsive. I certainly don't mind it, but I do think Disney could do a whole lot better than going for the "easy" joke/characterization.

AEfx

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Wait a minute

So, let me get this straight:

Some of you find fart jokes, spit jokes, and burp jokes repulsive, but the AE "killing scene" was okay?

"Sometimes killing scenes can be good, if the story is good."???

What am I missing here? The Wife and I loved Lilo and Stitch. The STORY, as some of you say, WAS GREAT!!! And I can understand why Disney thought that this would be a better fit than AE. Yes, we both liked AE a lot, but would rather see SGE personally.

Moreover, I read peoples' claims that SGE isn't appealing to the audience that Disney is trying to capture with this attraction. How do you know that? Are you standing outside the attraction and taking polls? It's like saying that the whole "princess" thing doesn't work, because adults and teens don't care for them.

Maybe, just maybe, Disney isn't trying to appeal to the teen or adult crowd with SGE. Maybe the primary demographic here are small children. I'm not claiming that IS the case, merely asking the question.

The other thing is this:

AE IS GONE!!!! LET IT GO!!!!!!!!

imagineer boy

HennieBogan1966 said:
So, let me get this straight:

Some of you find fart jokes, spit jokes, and burp jokes repulsive, but the AE "killing scene" was okay?

"Sometimes killing scenes can be good, if the story is good."???

What am I missing here? The Wife and I loved Lilo and Stitch. The STORY, as some of you say, WAS GREAT!!! And I can understand why Disney thought that this would be a better fit than AE. Yes, we both liked AE a lot, but would rather see SGE personally.

Moreover, I read peoples' claims that SGE isn't appealing to the audience that Disney is trying to capture with this attraction. How do you know that? Are you standing outside the attraction and taking polls?

News paper articles and people riding the attraction from the internet world have reported seeing several children crying or being scared during the attraction. The Orlando Sentinial interviewed some kids to what they thought, some were traumatized, some liked it, but wouldn't want to go on it again. SGE was created to be more kid friendly in the first place, but loud noises and periods in darkness have made it even worse. Some of the sensory effects are a bit much too.

Spitting, burping, and farting is wrong to have in a Disney attraction IMO. That's stuff for Spounge Bob. While some may find them funny, most find it embarrasing and insulting to their intelegence. The AE eating scene wasn't too bad because you didn't actually see the alien eating Matenence 1.

No matter how much people will say it, I will always believe that AE will some day come back. :sohappy:

General Grizz

HennieBogan1966 said:

You make a lot of sense, HennieBogan. What you said there is VERY true. Yet, I never really think about killing when I look back on Alien Encounter. Perhaps the burping/spitting jokes are emphasized so much in an attraction that doesn't have any "substance" that AE had. Or perhaps burping and farting brought out more as they are infecting all other areas of WDC entertainment (TV, movies, Figment, etc).

HennieBogan1966 said:
Moreover, I read peoples' claims that SGE isn't appealing to the audience that Disney is trying to capture with this attraction. How do you know that? Are you standing outside the attraction and taking polls? It's like saying that the whole "princess" thing doesn't work, because adults and teens don't care for them. Maybe, just maybe, Disney isn't trying to appeal to the teen or adult crowd with SGE. Maybe the primary demographic here are small children. I'm not claiming that IS the case, merely asking the question.

My claim was that SGE doesn't appeal to the audience Disney is trying to capture with the attraction. My claim also states that the primary demographic IS small children. The combination of a dark show with loud sounds and a mass appeal to younger children can only lead to complaints, which is causing Disney to shut down the ride in January to fix the mistakes.

HennieBogan1966 said:
The other thing is this:

AE IS GONE!!!! LET IT GO!!!!!!!!

Yep, we've got to move on, accepting AE won't come back. But no one can forget a great attraction - or at least an attraction that was great in someone's eyes.

This is "strike 2". Strike 1 was JIYI (that had so many complaints it had to be rehabbed). Strike 2 is Stitch's Great Escape. I would put Strike 3 as Goofy's Dancing Jamboree, but I think attendance, rather than complaints, killed that. In all cases, an original, successful attraction was replaced with a lower quality show that caused massive negative response. I hope there is no true "Strike 3," but you wonder if Disney's learned its lesson.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
I would agree that based on some of the comments that I have read that some "toning" down needs to be done for the smaller kids on this attraction. And I would agree as I have also said, that the #'s have got to be there in order to justify an attractions existence. But it's been open all of what 2 1/2 months? Don't we all think it could use a little more time. Let's see what it does its first summer next year, before we pass judgement on whether or not it's been a success. I for one don't want WDW to become this place where attractions are opened and shut down within a year because people don't like them right out of the box, and Disney feels "pressure" to make changes.

GymLeaderPhil

I've seen SGE about ten times now... once with an E-Stop because a kid slipped out of his restraints and another time due to technical difficulties. I've heard plenty of crying in those instances and plenty of negative comments afterwards. I'm a huge Lilo and Stitch fan BUT this attraction is trying to attract too many demographics at once. As well, there is no plot. This is a theater based attraction and as such should have a story behind it. It doesn't help matters much that the animation quality is terrible as well. The equipment is there, the special effects are awesome, so I'm personally for a revamp of the attraction.

Let's bring in Lilo.

ChrisH9339

Re: The Stitch Fuss

I agree that Stitch is a mediocre attraction at best, but I blame the Disney hype machine for the so-called failures of this attraction. I always considered AE a middle of the road attraction, and that's what I was expecting of Stitch. And that's what it is. It's one of those attractions that gets grouped in the rides/attractions I won't wait in long lines for, but I will do with an extra fastpass or a short wait in the standby queue.

The problem is, Disney turned an animated character that isn't as popular as they think he is into something he's not. Lilo and Stitch isn't Aladdin. It isn't the Little Mermaid. It isn't the Lion King. Heck, it's not Toy Story. Face it, the moneymakers are Pixar these days (and what FOOLS they are for letting them go away). But, when I see Stitch all over the place in pin form, all over the Osbourne display at MGM, and (worst of all) as a part of the new monorail spiel, you get the sense that Disney is trying to artifically generate a classic character; sort of a shoving down one's throat.

With all the hype Disney has affixed to Stitch, how can you not think the ride will be great? That's where I think the big letdown is. Plus, I think another failure is how I'm supposed to feel at the end. We failed in our mission of protecting the prisoner, and Stitch didn't do anything to win us over and want him to escape. I think the story is fine leading up into the chamber-- and even during it, until the end. I left the attraction feeling confused, but was entertained up to that point.

I don't think it's fair to slam WDI, as they have turned out Mission Space and Philharmagic recently... as well as three new rides on the horizon (have you SEEN Everest? that's going to be insane!), even though two are re-treads. A more creative ending would probably suffice to make a complete experience. But, the blame has to squarely go to the marketing "geniuses" who's number one goal is to peddle t-shirts and pins of Stitch, in a contrived effort to make him a classic character. But, if their target audience is either crying after it or calling this attraction "stupid", they have obviously failed.

Tim G

General Grizz said:
. . . nor should anyone underestimate the senslessness of misguided management at the WDC. :D
So True...
2055signs050.gif

figmentfan

I rode SGE for the first time on Friday during the Very Merry Party. No wait for it. Cool!

I was told by a co-worker about what the story and plot was about, and to listen carefully at the story. He said, you need to listen, or you will not understand what is going on. I am a BIG DISNEY FAN, like all of you on this board, I pay close attention to details!!!!!!!! I had a hard time following the story and a hard time listening to the story.

Couple of things: The first room with the TV monitors is great, the explanations is good, and the story start to unfold.

The second room is where it starts to fall apart. First, it is hard to understand the old SIR robot. They need to change the voice of the robot. What I like is that Skippy does not fry, or disappear. He stays in-tact!!!!!!!! The audio needs to be turned up and the music lowered. It was hard to hear the voices over the music. The story is OK.

The third room is cool! Stitch and the laser guns move quick and smoothly. But the story breaks apart. Are we with Stitich or against him?!?!?! Why do we have a Chilidog scent?

Disney needs to revamp this attraction very quickly. Change the story as the Prison has Lilo trapped, and Stitch and Skippy help get Lilo out. I remember watching a special on the Travel Channel about Disney designing rides. The first thing they do in a new attraction is create a STORY!

No STORY, no ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wannab@dis

I was able to endure SGE this past week and I have to say that I desperately wanted to disagree with the sentiment that I noticed in everyone's reviews. However, I thought it was worse than anyone had been able to communicate! SGE is absolutely the worse attraction at WDW.

Sure, it has some good pieces and parts, but overall, it was horrible. There is zero cohesion to the story, absolutely no ending or wrap-up and the target audience is totally missed. There is no way there should be a slant towards younger viewers, but with the merchandising and marketing, it's all geared towards kids. The AA and robotic arms are great, the pre-show(s) are ok, but to me, as a whole, it was a truly miserable replacement to a great attraction.

I saw several kids that seemed to be semi-traumatized[font=&quot]
and some ticked off parents. What really bugged me was that I saw only one CM doing a survey. They really should have several there to get a good fe[/font]eling of the audience's opinions. To be fair, I saw a lot of 'tweeners' that liked the show, so I have a feeling that will be key to any retrofit of the attraction.

bgraham34

After fianlly seeing the ride. I must say I was rather disapointed in it. It was rather campy and cheesy to say the least. Nothing special about it at all. I am tototally surprised at Disney.

Stich fan

ChrisH9339 said:
I agree that Stitch is a mediocre attraction at best, but I blame the Disney hype machine for the so-called failures of this attraction. I always considered AE a middle of the road attraction, and that's what I was expecting of Stitch. And that's what it is. It's one of those attractions that gets grouped in the rides/attractions I won't wait in long lines for, but I will do with an extra fastpass or a short wait in the standby queue.

The problem is, Disney turned an animated character that isn't as popular as they think he is into something he's not. Lilo and Stitch isn't Aladdin. It isn't the Little Mermaid. It isn't the Lion King. Heck, it's not Toy Story. Face it, the moneymakers are Pixar these days (and what FOOLS they are for letting them go away). But, when I see Stitch all over the place in pin form, all over the Osbourne display at MGM, and (worst of all) as a part of the new monorail spiel, you get the sense that Disney is trying to artifically generate a classic character; sort of a shoving down one's throat.

With all the hype Disney has affixed to Stitch, how can you not think the ride will be great? That's where I think the big letdown is. Plus, I think another failure is how I'm supposed to feel at the end. We failed in our mission of protecting the prisoner, and Stitch didn't do anything to win us over and want him to escape. I think the story is fine leading up into the chamber-- and even during it, until the end. I left the attraction feeling confused, but was entertained up to that point.

I don't think it's fair to slam WDI, as they have turned out Mission Space and Philharmagic recently... as well as three new rides on the horizon (have you SEEN Everest? that's going to be insane!), even though two are re-treads. A more creative ending would probably suffice to make a complete experience. But, the blame has to squarely go to the marketing "geniuses" who's number one goal is to peddle t-shirts and pins of Stitch, in a contrived effort to make him a classic character. But, if their target audience is either crying after it or calling this attraction "stupid", they have obviously failed.
Here's 3 resons why SGE is here
1.TOO SCARY:just by looking at that alien will send you nightmares for those who are easly scared.SOLUION:Get stich, and you got happy dreams(almost)
2A REALLY REALY REALLY LONG PERIOD OF DARKNESS:A person who dosent like the dark will SCREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM in the darkness.SOLUTION:A shorter period of darkness...A mo of dark which lasts about 5mins(im not so accruate at this stuff)
3CREEPY SENSORY EFFECTS:I think the effects are too creepey.(ALIENS,don,t eatme eat this one)i read a script.SOULITON:Make it funny. Try a chilli dog burp.
im not being offensive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom