Run, Stitch! Recycled ride to be your fate

tonganprince

Sge

I agree, I wasted 8 hours of fast pass time on that piece of crap ride. My 3 year old (who is scared of many rides) said it was "Stupid", I laughed for an hour (Probably because I agreed with her)

General Grizz

ORL S said:
His sad tale is a microcosm of what is going on at Disney, where prices are up and creativity is down.

Mhmm. . . or how about control of creativity? Disney should learn from the Journey into Imagination with Figment: "Imagination works best when it's set free." That means stop with the tight control, management.

Whoaa, that was off tangent.

ORL S said:
Horror conflicted with Disney's prime directive of not offending the sensibilities of Disney's family audience.

That is the main - or at least "public" - reason Disney said Alien went down. Personally, I don't see the problem. The story was Disneyesque in so many asspects - despite the terror - and was the only one at the Magic Kingdom. The point is: it was not INVITING to people who don't like aliens jumping and breathing on you in the dark - - namely, children.

ORL S said:
Nor was the Magic Kingdom a place for Alien Encounter. To make it an acceptable fit, the Disney "Imagineers" toned the ride down so much that Eisner ordered them to jack up the intensity.

And now he ordered it to be toned DOWN. . ha. . ha.

ORL S said:
Alien Encounter became a forgotten third fiddle to Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear.

My mouth is WATERING for attendance figures. Alien Encounter always had crowds when I visited - and I mean CROWDS - so I'm wondering what the actual stats were. Granted, it didn't appeal to the majority of Magic Kingdom visitors - assuming they weren't looking for terror.

ORL S said:
. .but on the Internet, Disney-goers have reported several instances of screaming and crying kids. They are scared of the dark room and loud noises. Or maybe they're just commenting on the ride.

Bingo. I posted this September 24:

Wasn't the goal to bring in KIDS? If the point is to make it a scary thrill ride, how can Stitch benefit if it can only bring more complaints from parents who bring their children in, thinking it will be a cool Stitch ride?? Isn't this kinda a trick? It was obvious that AE would be a scary attraction, but Stitch is so kid-appealing.

Could it be that they are focusing more on making profit from the gift store than responding to these guest complaints?

And I guess that's just what happened. Disney wants to close SGE in January, according to the news here, and rework it with a 5 million dollar budget. And I'm assuming it's for the reasons above.

ORL S said:
The highlight of the show is a warm blast of air shot into your face, scented to smell like a Stitch chili-dog belch. A press release actually makes this boast: "Stitch is the first Audio-Animatronics figure to spit."

And Figment's the first character to fart. :rolleyes:

(Although I will say the spitting was a cool effect).

Something's telling me they should have never made this change.

Replacing a work of genius with a "stupid," according to our three year old friend here, attraction. . .

KevinPage

General Grizz said:
How about President of WDW Attractions? :lol:

I know not EVERY attraction can be a home run, but you have to wonder who approves these "turds" in the first place? Isn't it obviously it stunk worse than MKT after a binge session?

DarkMeasures

To think, all that was really needed to be done for Alien Encounter would be decrease capacity, kinda like what has been going on with Tower of Terror.

Making the show a minute longer could have replenished lines the same way Stitch would and would probably last longer than Stitch too.

General Grizz

KevinPage said:
I know not EVERY attraction can be a home run, but you have to wonder who approves these "turds" in the first place? Isn't it obviously it stunk worse than MKT after a binge session?
Keep in mind management's changed drastically in the past ten years. The creativity of 1995's Alien Encounter is either gone or supressed from the now unstable Walt Disney Imagineering. The new management, toying with the creativity of the original - something great - and putting to their standards, ruined it.

I'm sure there are many muzzled voices at Walt Disney Imagineering. After all, per-project jobs don't exactly promote the best atmosphere for classic creativity. . .

KevinPage

General Grizz said:
Keep in mind management's changed drastically in the past ten years. The creativity of 1995's Alien Encounter is either gone or supressed from the now unstable Walt Disney Imagineering. The new management, toying with the creativity of the original - something great - and putting to their standards, ruined it.

I'm sure there are many muzzled voices at Walt Disney Imagineering. After all, per-project jobs don't exactly promote the best atmosphere for classic creativity. . .

I well aware of that, but even a stupid person can't be convinced that "________" smells like "ice cream". :hurl:

General Grizz

KevinPage said:
I well aware of that, but even a stupid person can't be convinced that "________" smells like "ice cream". :hurl:
It's taking them a while to learn this.

And I don't think they'll be changing their ways for many more years.

That's why a D-Army is being formed. :)

Stitchfan712

Just what was so great about AE? I just don't see the appeal in a ride that has a cast member getting eaten and "blood" splattered on the audience, being placed in the MK.

It's not an attraction that I would have ever gone on, that's for sure.

I'm glad AE is gone. Why put something like that in MK? That's better for MGM or Universal.

Is there anyone on this board who actually likes SGE besides myself?

General Grizz

Stitchfan712 said:
Just what was so great about AE? I just don't see the appeal in a ride that has a cast member getting eaten and "blood" splattered on the audience, being placed in the MK.

It's not an attraction that I would have ever gone on, that's for sure.

I'm glad AE is gone. Why put something like that in MK? That's better for MGM or Universal.

Is there anyone on this board who actually likes SGE besides myself?

There are people on the boards who like SGE -- no worries. :)

I agree that AE was better for MGM, but I never had a problem with it at MK.

By saying, "What's so great about AE - getting blood splattered?", that's just like saying, "What's so great about SGE - spit being thrown at the audience?"

Alien Encounter attracted people for different reasons. Number one were the thrill fans. Another group of people just fell in love with a story; a GOOD story - original to the parks - is definitely appealing. AE was well-done (take a look at those special effects!!), had a great new set of original characters, and was VERY good at creating a story and building up foreshadowing and emotion.

Let me say I'm no thrill junkie by any means, but I never missed Alien Encounter once I started experiencing it in the late 90s. Why? The story. I didn't even think the attraction was that scary at all. It had an aura of originality, of something classic.

Heck, I never think about death or terror when I think of AE. Kinda weird, huh?

dxwwf3

General Grizz said:
There are people on the boards who like SGE -- no worries. :)

I agree that AE was better for MGM, but I never had a problem with it at MK.

By saying, "What's so great about AE - getting blood splattered?", that's just like saying, "What's so great about SGE - spit being thrown at the audience?"

Alien Encounter attracted people for different reasons. Number one were the thrill fans. Another group of people just fell in love with a story; a GOOD story - original to the parks - is definitely appealing. AE was well-done (take a look at those special effects!!), had a great new set of original characters, and was VERY good at creating a story and building up foreshadowing and emotion.

Let me say I'm no thrill junkie by any means, but I never missed Alien Encounter once I started experiencing it in the late 90s. Why? The story. I didn't even think the attraction was that scary at all. It had an aura of originality, of something classic.

Heck, I never think about death or terror when I think of AE. Kinda weird, huh?

Very well said Grizz. My biggest draw was the story and the ORIGINAL characters. I also loved the way Disney tried something new. Heck another reason is that I thought it was freaking hillarious. It wasn't the same old same old. I am another person that thinks AE fit the MK (and more importantly Tomorrowland) like a glove.

And no you aren't the only one that likes SGE, Stitchfan. But you are the minority. And that's ok.

Stitchfan712

Blood is a lot darker than spit, though.

It just seems inappropriate to me that something like that should be placed in a disney theme park....i could understand universal...because people who go there expect that kind of thing.

disney's tamer. And I love Disney for it. I really have no use for Universal. Maybe I'm just soft....funny how in my younger days I loved horror movies and today I can't watch one of those at all. Maybe that explains my aversion to the AE idea. But it doesn't seem right to have "killing" in a Disney theme park.

There was another member here that said that the CM getting killed made him laugh.

Why, on god's green earth...would that be funny?

NemoRocks78

Seized
Killing in a Disney theme park, eh? Then I take it that you aren't a fan of DINOSAUR because the carnotaurus "kills" another dinosaur? :lol:

Stitchfan712

I strongly dislike the Dinosaur attraction.

I tried it the day before I left. I wouldn't recommend it to others in my party. My friend who I've told you about thinks SGE needs to be darker, didn't even like Dinosaur.

dxwwf3

Stitchfan712 said:
Blood is a lot darker than spit, though.

It just seems inappropriate to me that something like that should be placed in a disney theme park....i could understand universal...because people who go there expect that kind of thing.

disney's tamer. And I love Disney for it. I really have no use for Universal. Maybe I'm just soft....funny how in my younger days I loved horror movies and today I can't watch one of those at all. Maybe that explains my aversion to the AE idea. But it doesn't seem right to have "killing" in a Disney theme park.
There is plenty of killing in Disney attractions. It just usually consists of the "bad guys".

Stitchfan712 said:
There was another member here that said that the CM getting killed made him laugh.

Why, on god's green earth...would that be funny?
It was funny....just because it was. You weren't supposed to take AE 100% seriously, for crying out loud. Aren't some death scenes in horror movies funny?

nibblesandbits

Stitchfan712 said:
Disney will not be changing out the AE techonology.

This rehab will be a re-script, nothing more. To do otherwise would mean lots of lost revenue after such heavy promotion of the ride, and more expenses in investing in new equipment.

I have a question. :veryconfu Wasn't the point of the preivews to gage what the audience thought about the ride during previews? I know there was talk about how the ride wasn't any good then...so my question is why didn't they try to re-write a story before the opened the ride. I mean sure, that means that they would have pushed back the grand opening, but what good does it do to open a ride when it will just need to have a rehab in a couple of months? The only think I can think of is to get publicity. I mean there is the adage that all publicity is good publicity...is that what they were going for here? Because if not, then this whole thing doesn't make any sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom