Rumors. Musings. Casual.

Sectorkeeper71

I posted this in the Disneyland forum but thought it'd fit in while here also with many of the observations applicable to both coasts.

So, a family friend of mine is an executive at Universal Studios Hollywood. I hadn't seen him in a few years, but back in my teen years we would often talk theme parks.

During our brief interaction a few weeks ago, I basically said that it really felt like Universal Studios was in a renaissance, while Disney seems to be trying to find their footing.

He laughed, talked about how Universal basically dictated the direction of the industry with Harry Potter (which directly played into Galaxy's Edge) and now with their new park in Orlando. He then said that internally, their mantra has been "Don't do what Disney is doing" for the last few years.

I think if you had asked anyone if they though Universal had a chance at catching up to Disney 15 years ago, they would have laughed. But now? It's a different story.

Disney has made it a habit to reduce the guest experience since covid, all while raising prices.

You want to book a one day one park to Disneyland? Too bad, it's full- but they'll still let you buy a park hopper with Disneyland as the starting park. That's not hospitality.

Once you're there, parking is the most expensive it's been- but the security stations are often backed up. They don't even have trays for your pocket items anymore.

Fastpass, a once free perk? That's gonna be an extra $30 per person if you don't want to wait in artificially inflated wait times.

And don't even bother trying to order food at the register. They'll only have one open, and the line will be backed up. You have to download their app and schedule a time to get food. That also costs the most it ever has, all while the portion sizes continue to shrink. Thanks Christine!

But then while you're on that ride you paid extra for, it's unmaintained and staffed by grumpy CM's.

My point is- Disney has to get back on track or their foothold as the leader in themed entertainment is going to crumble in the next 15 years.
I last went to Uni in spring 2021, and I had such a good time. Stayed at the new value hotel on the old wet and wild site, and it was super cheap and crazy nice at the same time. Definitely nicer than Disney values imo and a cheaper deal.

One thing I think universal did well to start was making their fastpass equivalent a paid add on unless you’re at a deluxe resort. The benefit of building less hotels and much later than Disney did but it helped prevent the predicament Disney is in with their skip the line service.

I’ve gone to Disney all my life and several times since my last universal visit and I still enjoy it. There’s plenty they do that frustrates the hell out of me but I still have a good time when I visit. But next time I plan to visit Orlando is after epic universe opens, so that tells you where my mind is in regards to spending my theme park money currently

FettFan

Is Disney100 a bust?

Wife and I went to Disney Springs before heading to Port Canaveral for the honeymoon, and we noticed that a LOT of the Disney 100 merchandise is 50% off. I was thinking this was supposed to be a yearlong thing...alas.

But I did get a nifty "Walt Disney Cartoonist - 2719 Hyperion" vintage-style coffee mug. Originally $20, now $10.

Sectorkeeper71

Is Disney100 a bust?

Wife and I went to Disney Springs before heading to Port Canaveral for the honeymoon, and we noticed that a LOT of the Disney 100 merchandise is 50% off. I was thinking this was supposed to be a yearlong thing...alas.

But I did get a nifty "Walt Disney Cartoonist - 2719 Hyperion" vintage-style coffee mug. Originally $20, now $10.
My two cents, any celebration that isn’t specific to that resort feels kinda “meh” to me. Like the 100th anniversary of Disney as a company didn’t really resonate with me when I was at WDW in November

FettFan

My two cents, any celebration that isn’t specific to that resort feels kinda “meh” to me. Like the 100th anniversary of Disney as a company didn’t really resonate with me when I was at WDW in November

I would say that Walt Disney World had a better showing for Disneyland's 50th than their own.

2005-Castle-31.jpg

V_L_Raptor

Is Disney100 a bust?

Part of me says yes, it's a fizzle. The other part of me thinks that $20 for a coffee mug is exceedingly inflated, and that $10 would constitute a reasonable price with intent to sell. It says something unfortunate when the discount ends up drawing down to what would be a decent initial price.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Part of me says yes, it's a fizzle. The other part of me thinks that $20 for a coffee mug is exceedingly inflated, and that $10 would constitute a reasonable price with intent to sell. It says something unfortunate when the discount ends up drawing down to what would be a decent initial price.
That's sadly par for the course in the Bob era. Inflate the price, sell a bunch, then discount to get rid of what doesn't sell at the inflated price and still make a tidy profit on the discounted price.

SuddenStorm

I last went to Uni in spring 2021, and I had such a good time. Stayed at the new value hotel on the old wet and wild site, and it was super cheap and crazy nice at the same time. Definitely nicer than Disney values imo and a cheaper deal.

One thing I think universal did well to start was making their fastpass equivalent a paid add on unless you’re at a deluxe resort. The benefit of building less hotels and much later than Disney did but it helped prevent the predicament Disney is in with their skip the line service.

I’ve gone to Disney all my life and several times since my last universal visit and I still enjoy it. There’s plenty they do that frustrates the hell out of me but I still have a good time when I visit. But next time I plan to visit Orlando is after epic universe opens, so that tells you where my mind is in regards to spending my theme park money currently

A friend talked about a spontaneous Universal trip they had a few months ago- and how great it was.

And how Disney seems to be actively discouraging that. The amount of planning required for a trip to Disney is asinine.

Sectorkeeper71

A friend talked about a spontaneous Universal trip they had a few months ago- and how great it was.

And how Disney seems to be actively discouraging that. The amount of planning required for a trip to Disney is asinine.
Totally agree. I enjoy planning to some extent, it’s fun to do while waiting for your trip. But it’s actively becoming a chore to enjoy my vacation while I’m on it.

Universal, I just rolled outta bed, went to the ride I wanted, hopped to the parks whenever I wanted. Was such an easy going time, and that was without express passes

JD80

Totally agree. I enjoy planning to some extent, it’s fun to do while waiting for your trip. But it’s actively becoming a chore to enjoy my vacation while I’m on it.

Universal, I just rolled outta bed, went to the ride I wanted, hopped to the parks whenever I wanted. Was such an easy going time, and that was without express passes

Now that reservations aren't needed for the vast majority of guests and hopper restrictions are gone I don't see the complexity of planning anymore as an excuse.

The only planning you need is picking dates, a hotel and ADRs prior to arrival. I wouldn't consider G+ a requirement at any park and you only have to fight technology if you want to get on Guardians or Tron which I guess is the biggest difference.

Now of course all that changes if you're opt in to G+ which does require active planning which I agree stinks and I dislike it quite a bit.

LSLS

Now that reservations aren't needed for the vast majority of guests and hopper restrictions are gone I don't see the complexity of planning anymore as an excuse.

The only planning you need is picking dates, a hotel and ADRs prior to arrival. I wouldn't consider G+ a requirement at any park and you only have to fight technology if you want to get on Guardians or Tron which I guess is the biggest difference.

Now of course all that changes if you're opt in to G+ which does require active planning which I agree stinks and I dislike it quite a bit.
What's funny is you've actually pointed out why what they have been doing has damaged things so badly. Yeah, it's not what it was now that reservations are pretty much gone and park hopping is allowed again (though I very much disagree about the need for Genie, which is a pain on most days, and there are other things). But, you are responding to multiple people who are comparing their PREVIOUS WDW trips to Universal trips. Sure, some of the issues have been removed. But most people aren't always paying attention to what they are now, they are saying "Yeah, we went, it was a huge pain, I don't want to go back." That then becomes a thing they tell others. That's why a lot of what they have done to keep the parks staffed as minimally as possible are a bigger deal long term.

JD80

What's funny is you've actually pointed out why what they have been doing has damaged things so badly. Yeah, it's not what it was now that reservations are pretty much gone and park hopping is allowed again (though I very much disagree about the need for Genie, which is a pain on most days, and there are other things). But, you are responding to multiple people who are comparing their PREVIOUS WDW trips to Universal trips. Sure, some of the issues have been removed. But most people aren't always paying attention to what they are now, they are saying "Yeah, we went, it was a huge pain, I don't want to go back." That then becomes a thing they tell others. That's why a lot of what they have done to keep the parks staffed as minimally as possible are a bigger deal long term.

For sure, Disney has an uphill battle to overcome that moniker of "too complicated" with the public at large. They earned that reputation.

TrainsOfDisney

I’ll also add what a huge change Disney had made in how they treat guests. Solution to avatar flight of passage - keep DAK open until midnight with the ability to join the line all the way up until midnight so everyone who wants to can enjoy the newest attraction.

Solution now - play a digital lottery and if you lose try again next vacation.

UNCgolf

I’ll also add what a huge change Disney had made in how they treat guests. Solution to avatar flight of passage - keep DAK open until midnight with the ability to join the line all the way up until midnight so everyone who wants to can enjoy the newest attraction.

Solution now - play a digital lottery and if you lose try again next vacation.

This is why I say the VQs are significantly better for locals/regular visitors than the average guest, which is completely backwards. It doesn't make sense to have a system that favors people who have numerous opportunities to ride versus the person who may only have one or two.

Last edited:

Musical Mermaid

I don't like the virtual queue, because it seems like I'm waiting 2 different times (virtual and standby) and I'd prefer to know an estimate of the total time. My preference is not waiting in any line longer than 40 minutes.

Last time I went to Epcot, I missed the first VQ for Cosmic Rewind and got one at 1 pm that said I was supposed to return around 6 pm. Throughout the day, this kept getting pushed back until I was called shortly after 8 pm, only to wait in an hour long queue with no posted wait time. If I'd known that this queue was that long after all of the supposed "virtual" waiting, I wouldn't have bothered. Their system stinks and I'm sure it isn't getting the best guest feedback.

bmr1591

I enjoy the Virtual Queue because I'd rather wait in a digital line while I do other things instead of a physical line for hours. With that said, I completely understand not everyone (especially the average guest) is as adept at using the VQ system as I am. I'll also say that Guardians should have been off VQ long ago.

Indy_UK

I enjoy the Virtual Queue because I'd rather wait in a digital line while I do other things instead of a physical line for hours. With that said, I completely understand not everyone (especially the average guest) is as adept at using the VQ system as I am. I'll also say that Guardians should have been off VQ long ago.
I am surprised that they haven't gone back and made more attractions a Virtual Queue but I guess its because they use Genie+ and ILL as the solution instead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom