Rumors. Musings. Casual.

BrianLo

Hulu Live TV is likely to remain independent... until linear channels finally close down.

Hulu streaming on demand is already in Beta on D+ and will be fully integrated in March. Just like Star, the international version of Hulu is already fully integrated into D+ internationally.

Indeed, I think international has been the directional model for a while now. I’m constantly struck by those who feel D+ doesn’t have content and remind myself I’m essentially on an entirely different product in Canada.

It’s not Netflix, nor was that ever an actual goal (maybe Chapek had weird misdirected ambition)… but it’s a pretty core service.

The Streaming Wars are ending. Netflix is certainly the gold medalist, but I think D+/Star is firmly on the podium. Like the major networks or studios there will eventually be 4-6 of them. So second or third place is where they needed to be to survive.

The other studios are where the trouble lies. Fox has fallen, Sony isn’t playing. Netflix, Amazon and Apple have too many resources. Paramount is dead in the water but I still think Max / Peacock are completely on the bubble and in major trouble.

Disney is still the only studio that has transitioned mostly to the winners circle.

BrianLo

Something I guess i don’t think i will understand unless im hand held through it, is why Disney chose to grow the value of hulu by doing things like moving FX content on there and creating so many originals. Surely a high 9, low 10 figure amount of money will be going to Comcast because it was managed… too well?

Comcast’s lack of spend contribution (whenever they checked out) is subtracted out of the final payout.

Plus the minimum benchmark for the sale was probably set a little too high, forcing Disney to still be eager to grow the service.

Disney Analyst

Indeed, I think international has been the directional model for a while now. I’m constantly struck by those who feel D+ doesn’t have content and remind myself I’m essentially on an entirely different product in Canada.

It’s not Netflix, nor was that ever an actual goal (maybe Chapek had weird misdirected ambition)… but it’s a pretty core service.

The Streaming Wars are ending. Netflix is certainly the gold medalist, but I think D+/Star is firmly on the podium. Like the major networks or studios there will eventually be 4-6 of them. So second or third place is where they needed to be to survive.

The other studios are where the trouble lies. Fox has fallen, Sony isn’t playing. Netflix, Amazon and Apple have too many resources. Paramount is dead in the water but I still think Max / Peacock are completely on the bubble and in major trouble.

Disney is still the only studio that has transitioned mostly to the winners circle.

I confirm your thoughts. I also forget others don't have the same experience. Disney+ is pretty great up north here.

pheneix

Original Poster
Hulu Live TV is likely to remain independent... until linear channels finally close down.

Hulu streaming on demand is already in Beta on D+ and will be fully integrated in March. Just like Star, the international version of Hulu is already fully integrated into D+ internationally.

Yeah Hulu Live TV is a solid business and also a preview of… lots of future changes.

Especially when linear blows up.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The quarterly call revealed nothing new specifically for the parks. In a response to a question about the parks, Bob said...

BOB>> You asked a lot of questions on a lot of subjects. I'll take the first one on parks, timing and location.

We're already hard at work at basically determining where we are going to place our new investments and what they will be.

You can pretty much conclude that they will be all over, meaning every single one of our locations will be the beneficiary of increased investment and thus, increased capacity, including on the high seas where we're currently building three more ships and a business that is obviously extremely positive to us.

We may look expansively in that direction. I'm not going to give you more of a sense of timing except that we're hard at work at getting these things basically conceived and built.

And we have got a menu of things that will basically start opening in 25 and there will be a cadence every year of additional investment and increased capacity.

Indy_UK

Im a big fan of Cruiseline but after adding Lookout Cay and the 4 new ships, I hope that's it for a while. I could see them struggling to fill trips away from Florida.

Dranth

Im a big fan of Cruiseline but after adding Lookout Cay and the 4 new ships, I hope that's it for a while. I could see them struggling to fill trips away from Florida.
That may depend on what they are doing with the 2 oldest ships. I don't remember them saying anything about them one way or the other but they are pretty old at this point. If those are going to be retired then you are only looking at a net two with one being dedicated to Asia.

castlecake2.0

That may depend on what they are doing with the 2 oldest ships. I don't remember them saying anything about them one way or the other but they are pretty old at this point. If those are going to be retired then you are only looking at a net two with one being dedicated to Asia.
The wonder and magic probably got about 10-15 years I’d guess. They are incredibly well maintained and still very popular with guests.

pheneix

Original Poster
So did anyone have calls going on $DIS before earnings?

It should surprise no one that I placed a wee little bet and made some money.

The dividend/buyback news is like feeding cocaine to a bear. Pun intended.

Iger doing the best he can to fight off Peltz by rolling out the shareholder returns upfront and promising more later. Best hand he can play. Also he’s gonna burn a lot of cash to do it.

Actively lol’d that not one but two questions asked on here were by the same person. But she’s a smart one.

The future of Hulu Live TV honestly a more interesting corporate question than the parks in 2024. And it’s interesting because they don’t even have a closing set up for Hulu yet (public, anyway).

Lots and lots of headwinds. But hey, dividend?

Lilofan

The wonder and magic probably got about 10-15 years I’d guess. They are incredibly well maintained and still very popular with guests.
Thanks to the cheap labor and wages to boot with the cast on the Wonder. We sailed a few times and those hard working cast we met are amazing. Working 4-5 month contracts, 14 hours a day 7 days a week far away from their families and home country.

Willmark

So did anyone have calls going on $DIS before earnings?

It should surprise no one that I placed a wee little bet and made some money.

The dividend/buyback news is like feeding cocaine to a bear. Pun intended.

Iger doing the best he can to fight off Peltz by rolling out the shareholder returns upfront and promising more later. Best hand he can play. Also he’s gonna burn a lot of cash to do it.

Actively lol’d that not one but two questions asked on here were by the same person. But she’s a smart one.

The future of Hulu Live TV honestly a more interesting corporate question than the parks in 2024. And it’s interesting because they don’t even have a closing set up for Hulu yet (public, anyway).

Lots and lots of headwinds. But hey, dividend?
The amusing part Is those crowing about the stock price right now here and elsewhere; as if there are suddenly no more problems? Oh sure it‘s up but what did the Mouse do to make it get there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom