Rumors. Musings. Casual.

Sectorkeeper71

I am surprised that they haven't gone back and made more attractions a Virtual Queue but I guess its because they use Genie+ and ILL as the solution instead.
Problem is you can’t do that and clog up the paths/restaurants/shops or other rides with the people no longer waiting in a physical line. The parks are designed to have people waiting in lines

DisneyDodo

I enjoy the Virtual Queue because I'd rather wait in a digital line while I do other things instead of a physical line for hours. With that said, I completely understand not everyone (especially the average guest) is as adept at using the VQ system as I am. I'll also say that Guardians should have been off VQ long ago.
But most of the time savings gained by not waiting in that line is offset by the time lost waiting in line for other rides behind people who would otherwise be waiting for that ride.

If you had exclusive access to VQ, it would obviously be a major advantage (it would essentially be like a free LL), but when it’s offered to everyone in the park, the wait times just get distributed elsewhere.

JD80

VQs are fine, easy to get. They have pros and cons. You have to wait to get on line, but at least the wait is less than an hour when you do join the queue instead of 2 hours.

SuddenStorm

My wife and I wanted to get a 100th Anniversary ornament this past December as a momento for a our trip but passed because the designs were just abysmal.

It's shocking seeing how far the parks merchandise has regressed in just five years. And even five years ago I was complaining it's bad.

The finishing on their premium stuff is worse. And the normal stuff is just bottom of the barrel garbage.

I have a few vintage parks t shirts from the '80s and '80s and the material was thicker and more robust than today's stuff.

There's also the problem of Disney moving away from viewing the parks as a brand, but instead as the parks a place to promote their other brands. This has led to a reduction of parks specific merchandise and an influx of merchandise for Marvel, Star Wars, and their other film ventures.

To maintain long term viability Disney has to treat the parks themselves as the brand- especially Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, and Disneyland. Build unique attractions with original IP. Create merchandise that's specific to icons and attractions in each park. Sell artwork centered around iconic moments and sights in the park.

hopemax

It's shocking seeing how far the parks merchandise has regressed in just five years. And even five years ago I was complaining it's bad.

The finishing on their premium stuff is worse. And the normal stuff is just bottom of the barrel garbage.
This is so true. We've bought so much stuff that was designed by Kevin Kidney & Jody Daily at Disneyland and through the Catalog, so it was exciting to hear that they had some new WDW product. The Country Bear figures and Big Al mug were decent, but then there was stuff like the Peter Pan boat and Castle that just ended up looking so chintzy. They'd show some of their mockups on Facebook and you can tell the quality is there. But Disney farmed out production to the cheapest supplier, and so the final product just looked bad. While my Dad bought the Bear figures and a friend bought the mug, I bought nothing even though I really wanted to *want* to.

SuddenStorm

This is so true. We've bought so much stuff that was designed by Kevin Kidney & Jody Daily at Disneyland and through the Catalog, so it was exciting to hear that they had some new WDW product. The Country Bear figures and Big Al mug were decent, but then there was stuff like the Peter Pan boat and Castle that just ended up looking so chintzy. They'd show some of their mockups on Facebook and you can tell the quality is there. But Disney farmed out production to the cheapest supplier, and so the final product just looked bad. While my Dad bought the Bear figures and a friend bought the mug, I bought nothing even though I really wanted to *want* to.

Just looked up the Country Bear stuff and dang.

The Kevin Kidney & Jody Dailey stuff from 15 years ago is incredibly done. This stuff? Garbage. And it's a shame because it's park specific merchandise- which is sorely lacking.

Cmdr_Crimson

To maintain long term viability Disney has to treat the parks themselves as the brand- especially Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, and Disneyland. Build unique attractions with original IP. Create merchandise that's specific to icons and attractions in each park. Sell artwork centered around iconic moments and sights in the park.
Oh, they use to back in the 90's. For example they had a dedicated set of fully posed action figures of characters from PoTC...Including one of the Red Head..
il_fullxfull.3354782531_dbvh.jpg

bmr1591

But most of the time savings gained by not waiting in that line is offset by the time lost waiting in line for other rides behind people who would otherwise be waiting for that ride.

If you had exclusive access to VQ, it would obviously be a major advantage (it would essentially be like a free LL), but when it’s offered to everyone in the park, the wait times just get distributed elsewhere.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Waiting in line for 3 hours to ride Guardians will never be offset in EPCOT by food booth lines or the vast majority of attractions’ five minute waits. Test Track, Frozen, and Rat may get a little help, but the target audience of two of those often aren’t stepping near Guardians.

LSLS

I disagree wholeheartedly. Waiting in line for 3 hours to ride Guardians will never be offset in EPCOT by food booth lines or the vast majority of attractions’ five minute waits. Test Track, Frozen, and Rat may get a little help, but the target audience of two of those often aren’t stepping near Guardians.

I mean, wouldn't they have to be adding lines somewhere? Lets say there are 4,000 people in line for a 2 hour wait. For them not to be clogging up everything else, your assumption would have to be those 4,000 people would not exist elsewhere. If they are still in the park, they would have to be doing something, whether lengthening lines in booths, restaurants, or other rides.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean, wouldn't they have to be adding lines somewhere? Lets say there are 4,000 people in line for a 2 hour wait. For them not to be clogging up everything else, your assumption would have to be those 4,000 people would not exist elsewhere. If they are still in the park, they would have to be doing something, whether lengthening lines in booths, restaurants, or other rides.
They pooched their crowd distribution strategy deliberately over the last 20 years

No one is serious about fixing it. Universal is trying to run the same playbook up the road Disney Ran from 1985-2000

aladdin2007

I have a few vintage parks t shirts from the '80s and '80s and the material was thicker and more robust than today's stuff.

There's also the problem of Disney moving away from viewing the parks as a brand, but instead as the parks a place to promote their other brands. This has led to a reduction of parks specific merchandise and an influx of merchandise for Marvel, Star Wars, and their other film ventures.

This,,,for instance the two big shops at the entrance to World Showcase, one is now Marvel, the other Pandora.
Nothing Epcot related, nothing. Those two use to be chock full of Epcot themed merch or home merch and souvenirs, and have been reduced to marvel toys and high end bags and jewelry. No one even cares about all that marvel junk in there, Disney doesn't know what its doing anymore, they are just filling spots with whatever they can find from whatever brand they can throw out there. The parks are a mall for all these other brands, nothing anymore to do with the location you are in.

Indy_UK

They're merchandise income per year must be down massively compared to 10 years ago and they closed all the physical Stores around the world?

I agree with above, what's sad that that WDW specific merch is becoming less and less with more of the same in every store.

MR.Dis

We go three times a year, and have not bought any clothes/tee shirts in over three years. All the best designs are on Shop Disney--which is where we now buy all our Disney apparel. Pity that there is not any park specific apparel in the parks. Not an impulse buyer by habit, except back in a day when there used to be exciting and imaginative apparel at WDW. Used to be every time a person would visit something new was being released.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom