Rumors. Musings. Casual.

JoeCamel

Just my two cents, but if Disney ever builds a third Disneyland in the US, they should consider the Houston area. It's a major city with no major theme parks in it, thanks to Six Flags. It's a bit close to WDW, but far enough to stand on its own, I think, and with two major airports. Only downside really is that it's probably more humid than WDW.
It's wet, it floods it has hurricanes, it has people and pollution and don't speak of the humidity why would they ever build there?
Ohhhh

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Just my two cents, but if Disney ever builds a third Disneyland in the US, they should consider the Houston area. It's a major city with no major theme parks in it, thanks to Six Flags. It's a bit close to WDW, but far enough to stand on its own, I think, and with two major airports. Only downside really is that it's probably more humid than WDW.

Well that's where Universal is opening their Kids park....designed to be specifically for kids and not cannibalize their other parks.

Whether Disney can do that or not remains to be seen. I feel like DisneyQuest was a LITTLE bit like that but was basically abandoned everywhere outside of WDW as soon as it was started. I think they abandoned it too quickly and didn't let it evolve into something that could have been more appealing and also keep people "wanting more" to visit the 2 main destinations.

CJR

It's wet, it floods it has hurricanes, it has people and pollution and don't speak of the humidity why would they ever build there?
Ohhhh

It's accessible with no nearby competition and plenty of people will be able to work there and visit. The rest is all stuff they deal with already domestically between DL and WDW, they'd manage, I think. No place is without issues.

For example, Dallas is hot and has tornadoes, Arizona would be a better choice IMHO and that says a lot, anything much further north deals with ice and snow. They can manage with that too, but it'd be costly (heating costs more than cooling). A great concept would be to build some domes in tune to Dubai and have a mostly indoor park concept, but Disney seems to hate A/C. A park in the northeast could be amazing, maybe they can repurpose an old mall or something, let guests enter the park through the castle and step into Fantasyland; wouldn't that be a neat story (dead mall turned into a theme park, I mean)? Not that it's a realistic thing (talking about a third castle park in the US), Disney doesn't have the money to waste it on things that make money.

Is Brazil still an option for Disney? I stopped following their stuff once the EPCOT pavilion didn't happen.

Well that's where Universal is opening their Kids park....designed to be specifically for kids and not cannibalize their other parks.
Frisco, Texas is Dallas area.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
Yeah. Probably same thing.

Somebody else can drop a rumor about the content of the new investment and get the heat. But that project is definitely a *thing* by rumor standards.
My actual well is dry on this, at least for now, but let's do some logical thinking here.

From the way @pheneix and @wdwmagic are talking, this doesn't sound like a huge, huge thing. Maybe a C ticket? Which could be just what DHS needs??

But then, they don't sound that enthusiastic. So I'm not sure. Any other ideas?

bryanfze55

San Antonio may be a better choice than Houston or Dallas. It’s drier/less humid, less impacted by tornadoes than Dallas and less impacted by hurricanes than Houston. And it’s already pretty touristy as is. Smack dab in the middle of DL and WDW.

This is pure fun speculation. Third American park is never getting built.

Lilofan

San Antonio may be a better choice than Houston or Dallas. It’s drier/less humid, less impacted by tornadoes than Dallas and less impacted by hurricanes than Houston. And it’s already pretty touristy as is. Smack dab in the middle of DL and WDW.

This is pure fun speculation. Third American park is never getting built.
We visited River walk in San Antonio in July one year. It was so brutally hot one could fry eggs and make huevos rancheros right on the sidewalk. Under Eisner, Disney America was ready to be built until the VA locals fought the Mouse and Eisner cancelled the park to be built.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
We visited River walk in San Antonio in July one year. It was so brutally hot one could fry eggs and make huevos rancheros right on the sidewalk. Under Eisner, Disney America was ready to be built until the VA locals fought the Mouse and Eisner cancelled the park to be built.

And the former site in VA they were going to build it on is all subdivisions...

nickys

Premium Member
5.) Add a theater like they were planning, maybe not behind Main Street, but somewhere and host a high quality show.
Yes!

David Duffy was VP of live entertainment at DLP, who do spectacular shows that blow anything similar at WDW out of the park. And he’s just moved to WDW.

There has to be a reason for that, surely? And not just for adding drones to night-time shows. They have the chance now to do something amazing if they would just build a theatre. Even re-purpose an existing building in the interim.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I am just frustrated as everyone else at how they just aren’t investing big into WDW atm but I will give them props for at least attempting to invest in its other parks.

Disneyland Paris has barely been touched in its 30 years and while what they added with Avengers Campus and the mini Frozen land that’s coming, it’s still a lot compared to what they’ve added in those 30 years and I’m excited at that’s essentially my ‘local park’

Problem was Iger ignoring the parks for so long that even though WDW has got:

Tron
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic rewind
Ratatouille
World Celebration
Toy Story Land
Galaxy’s Edge
Pandora
Skyliner
Bunch of DVC
Bunch of restaurants

Yet it’s still massively lacking
I agree, but it’s important to point out that when looking at the added attractions over the past 15 years, a good portion replaced something else. TRON and Rat are the only exceptions off the top of my head that actually built out and added capacity.

nickys

Premium Member
I agree, but it’s important to point out that when looking at the added attractions over the past 15 years, a good portion replaced something else. TRON and Rat are the only exceptions off the top of my head that actually built out and added capacity.
I would add Pandora to that list. Yes it did replace an existing area but it wasn’t exactly an attraction.

Weather_Lady

To be fair to the fans, Disney hypes them all like E-Tickets. Heck, look at Moana. I cannot tell you how many people have come to me and asked me about the new Moana ride at EPCOT.
Your comment is right on, and bears repeating.

Disney's recent history has been a repeated pattern of over-promising and under-delivering, partially because larger projects are announced in detail and then end up getting significantly downgraded in the several years it takes Disney to do anything, and partially because Disney likes to breathlessly herald every tiny development like it's the second coming, using such a word salad of vague PR terminology that it's hard to understand what kind of experience is even being described. Disney is gradually turning itself into the Boy Who Cried Wolf (or the Company Who Cried Ameeeeeeeezing!) even for those (like me, as a lifelong Bills fan) who are hard-wired to accept years-long cavalcades of disappointment and pain from the franchises we love. I don't even follow the Disney Parks Blog anymore: why bother, when everything from main attractions to milkshakes are likely to be downgraded from what was announced by the time they are actually introduced? There's just no point in getting excited about things that might not happen.

I wish Disney marketing would borrow a page from Universal on this one: fans love it when you under-promise and low-key build cool new stuff while staying tight-lipped about it, and then open it with just a little fanfare, guaranteeing that guests will go in with no particular expectations, and be pleasantly surprised and even blown away. That's how you make magic! (e.g., https://www.cinemablend.com/news/25...urassic-world-churro-joke-reality-theme-parks)

Last edited:

Lilofan

100 plus degrees June-Sept ? No thanks but I’ve lived in Houston for a short time. There are two major food groups - BBQ and Tacos.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I meant the Mickey & Minnie campground meet & greet space. Hence I said area, not an attraction
I would imagine if SWGE was put where it was originally intended and they kept the back lot and stunt show (massive people eaters) DHS would be in a much better place today.

Just seems like a lack of understanding at many levels of the organization.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom