Rumors. Musings. Casual.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Something that has stuck in my head was a relatively low-information WDW guest asked me once why they don’t just build a second castle park in WDW. It’s a completely insane idea that would never be executed but it’s telling that a normal person would observe how much more different it is there. I have commented elsewhere that in my opinion, my last day trip to MK (in… early 2022?) is one of the least pleasant places I have ever spent leisure time. I have only been back for two very brief nights since then. I’m a jaded person who visits the resort a lot more often than average guests because of my proximity to CMs but I have to wonder how the family from Topeka feels about it.

Like dark kingdom, or villains kingdom or whatever the rumors were? I still think it would be interesting but I'm sure parents would be like "it's too scary for my toddler!"

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The suggestion from him was a complete carbon copy.

yeah, that wouldn't confuse tourists at all.

I will say that MK has a pretty low number of attractions compared to Disneyland (Anaheim) and is just one of the least interesting castle parks compared to the others from what I've seen (I've only been to Anaheim, Tokyo and Hong Kong in its early days)

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
Wow this has been a great read. I missed this thread when it popped up. @pheneix it's a pleasure to meet you, and I do remember your post about Tiana "probably not happening" back then (gave me a lot of hope, haha), though I wasn't as active on here at that time.

I think you hit the nail on the head here, especially with your prediction about 2024 being a terrible year for Disney. I can say from the Parks side of things (according to my source), morale is very low for the Imagineers right now. There's nothing exciting coming. Interesting things are developed, but never greenlit due to money. It's rough.

As for your mention of DHS expansion, I've had radio silence on that from my source. When I last got any info back in late December, the biggest thing I heard was that the Beyond Big Thunder project that was closest to being greenlit was one themed to an IP that made no sense for Magic Kingdom, and it actually made my source angry even to think about it. Do you have anything that tracks with that?

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I think you hit the nail on the head here, especially with your prediction about 2024 being a terrible year for Disney. I can say from the Parks side of things (according to my source), morale is very low for the Imagineers right now. There's nothing exciting coming. Interesting things are developed, but never greenlit due to money. It's rough.
TBH the most frustrating thing is that the domestic parks are seemingly used to bankroll development in Shanghai and Hong Kong where you seem to have seen or continue to see a lot of exciting development.

mickEblu

TBH the most frustrating thing is that the domestic parks are seemingly used to bankroll development in Shanghai and Hong Kong where you seem to have seen or continue to see a lot of exciting development.

Constantly borrowing from that well of century old Goodwill. Will it ever run out? Seems like they withdraw a lot more than they deposit these days. At least when it comes to the domestic parks.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Constantly borrowing from that well of century old Goodwill. Will it ever run out? Seems like they withdraw a lot more than they deposit. At least when it comes to the domestic parks.
It's not just Disney. Numerous large corporations have gone down the rabbit hole of dumping boatloads of money into emerging markets. I'm sure someone can tell me what the return has been for Disney in China and Hong Kong, if any, but from the domestic parks perspective it is unsustainable to keep chipping away at the foundation to build up elsewhere.

Indy_UK

I am just frustrated as everyone else at how they just aren’t investing big into WDW atm but I will give them props for at least attempting to invest in its other parks.

Disneyland Paris has barely been touched in its 30 years and while what they added with Avengers Campus and the mini Frozen land that’s coming, it’s still a lot compared to what they’ve added in those 30 years and I’m excited at that’s essentially my ‘local park’

Problem was Iger ignoring the parks for so long that even though WDW has got:

Tron
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic rewind
Ratatouille
World Celebration
Toy Story Land
Galaxy’s Edge
Pandora
Skyliner
Bunch of DVC
Bunch of restaurants

Yet it’s still massively lacking

Lilofan

It's not just Disney. Numerous large corporations have gone down the rabbit hole of dumping boatloads of money into emerging markets. I'm sure someone can tell me what the return has been for Disney in China and Hong Kong, if any, but from the domestic parks perspective it is unsustainable to keep chipping away at the foundation to build up elsewhere.
Emerging markets are good investments for diversification like what I'm invested in . Safe haven markets like US treasuries is different. EM is where a number of companies have their labor operations such as $3 Trillion Apple whose factories are in China Vietnam and India. Universal and Disney have substantial investments in China.

Comped

They should have built a third Disneyland in the USA a long time ago. Best way to finally break the hold. Give the people another park to see. The destination they know they want to see.
Nope. Nope. Nope. Disney has, since Eisner, very clearly proven through their own studies that there is no point in their US, the most logical part of NA to build a 3rd resort, that wouldn't clearly and obviously create attendance issues, and pull significantly from, the other 2 resorts. Disney's America sized regional resorts are a much different beast (see Eisner's $300 million regional park exercises for his execs as an example), but Disney via Buzz Price and their own internal papers, has pretty well settled on the issue of not building a 3rd large scale resort.

Jim agreeing on this is a red flag to me - because he ought to know it's not financially feasible, or possible otherwise, for Disney to do so. He was around when DA was killed off, so he should know that any bigger resort would likely suffer even more issues PR-wise, and even logistically. He spouts off a lot about silly things without thinking.

hopemax

I am just frustrated as everyone else at how they just aren’t investing big into WDW atm but I will give them props for at least attempting to invest in its other parks.

Disneyland Paris has barely been touched in its 30 years and while what they added with Avengers Campus and the mini Frozen land that’s coming, it’s still a lot compared to what they’ve added in those 30 years and I’m excited at that’s essentially my ‘local park’

Problem was Iger ignoring the parks for so long that even though WDW has got:

Tron
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic rewind
Ratatouille
World Celebration
Toy Story Land
Galaxy’s Edge
Pandora
Skyliner
Bunch of DVC
Bunch of restaurants

Yet it’s still massively lacking
And most of this is effectively inaccessible to guests who don't pay up for Genie+ / ILL. How satisfying is one of these attractions if your posted 60 minute wait turned into a 130 minute wait because something happened, and the ILL lane got backed up so they had no choice but hold standby? It's happened to us too much that we don't even attempt to ride Rise or Remy. Anything new they add, they immediately sell to the same 10K-20K people per park, who are willing to pay for ILL / Genie+. And no amount of money a person can spend in a store, restaurant, experience, resort can make up for the fact that these people will be prioritized on attractions, because they put $10-$30 in the right bucket, at the right time. That's what they are training guests to do. Forgo the $300 you might spend on pins (like I do, even though at this point its stupid). It won't help you... just spend a fraction on line skips. You will have a *much* better experience.

I theorized when FP+ came online that the parks would become hamstrung by the lowest capacity of the most in-demand rides. It's the limiting factor. Frozen is like 1000 guests per hour, 12 hr day... 12,000 people in a park that holds 40k or more. For most of the people in Epcot, it might as well not even exist as an option. Break down that further into people who paid for Genie+, people who use a DAS or another legitimate reason to use the LL. How many "regular" people are even riding?

This is why my favorite thing is the Skyliner. If you aren't using it at opening / closing, anyone can show up at anytime and actually get to experience it.

Last edited:

hopemax

Nope. Nope. Nope. Disney has, since Eisner, very clearly proven through their own studies that there is no point in their US, the most logical part of NA to build a 3rd resort, that wouldn't clearly and obviously create attendance issues, and pull significantly from, the other 2 resorts. Disney's America sized regional resorts are a much different beast (see Eisner's $300 million regional park exercises for his execs as an example), but Disney via Buzz Price and their own internal papers, has pretty well settled on the issue of not building a 3rd large scale resort.

Jim agreeing on this is a red flag to me - because he ought to know it's not financially feasible, or possible otherwise, for Disney to do so. He was around when DA was killed off, so he should know that any bigger resort would likely suffer even more issues PR-wise, and even logistically. He spouts off a lot about silly things without thinking.
This is exactly WHY they need to do it; even though it won't look good on a spreadsheet. The price one must pay when one messes up their operations this badly. The labor doesn't exist in Orlando to scale up with what they would need to actually serve the number of people who want to be at WDW with the necessary attractions and facilities. Something that will become even more apparent when Epic staffing ramps up. DLR can presumably find the people, but space is the limiting factor. If you have 100 people cramming into a space built for 50, you have to move 50 people somewhere else. Even if you can no longer say "We're serving 100 people."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom