Rumors. Musings. Casual.

Comped

This is exactly WHY they need to do it; even though it won't look good on a spreadsheet. The price one must pay when one messes up their operations this badly. The labor doesn't exist in Orlando to scale up with what they would need to actually serve the number of people who want to be at WDW with the necessary attractions and facilities. Something that will become even more apparent when Epic staffing ramps up. DLR can presumably find the people, but space is the limiting factor. If you have 100 people cramming into a space built for 50, you have to move 50 people somewhere else. Even if you can no longer say "We're serving 100 people."
Had it been the feasible option, you'd have seen Eisner do it, likely instead of HK or Eurodisney. Nothing has changed to Disney's benefit since!

pheneix

Original Poster
Had it been the feasible option, you'd have seen Eisner do it, likely instead of HK or Eurodisney. Nothing has changed to Disney's benefit since!

They were right at the time. Last 25 years of USA/Canada population growth has occurred since those studies. International tourist growth to USA at unimaginable numbers (compared to then)

We’re at the juncture where a new NA park drawing off attendance from the other two resorts is kinda the point. 😅

hopemax

Undoubtedly, Disney views North America as a mature market, and has for decades. Disney thought DLR was mature. Until Ouimet / Emmer and everyone after, have been able to grow it. Universal showed that when you build quality projects that meet expectations, you can grow attendance on both coasts, even if you aren't Disney. And I’m sure at each point, Disney thought, “Well, maybe we underestimated things before but certainly *now* it is a mature market.” And once Epic opens, success or fail, then surely then it will most definitely be a mature market.

Eisner misread the Animation market wrong when he came into the company, and again as he was leaving, in terms of "legs" remaining. If we used his feelings as a guide there would have been no renaissance (championed by Katzenberg and Roy E) and nothing left after he was gone to produce Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen, Zootopia (kept alive by Roy E long enough). I don't trust that his gut was right about Theme Parks either. I think everyone misread what Gen X and millennials who had been fed a steady diet of cable tv, the birth of the VHS and the great theme park years between 1985-2000 would do once they started having children. And instead of acknowledging their failure they've doubled down with "surely we must we reaching the end of this." We're looking at people still falling over themselves to over pay for bad Disney product, shaking our heads, and people like Chapek being incredulous during earnings call of how far they were able to push things with upcharges... what kind of market must exist for a *good* product?

Brer Panther

Is there any chance of Iger being shown the door? Because he needs to be shown the door.
3- The Simpsons- This doesn't fit the brand and might actually be worth something- sell it off
I agree, but Disney would never sell The Simpsons. Look at how much they've embraced it. Besides, if they sold it off, what other franchise could they use to promote Disney Plus?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Iger’s Fox gamble isn't doing too well, so don't expect the sale of 60% of Hotstar to pay any significant investment needs as it's selling at least 4 billion less than the value they paid for it.

MarvelCharacterNerd

They talk about revenue per guest going up, but I'd love to see distribution of how much is ticket + Genie+ + ILL vs traditionals like hotel, food, souvenirs. When I look around, I see fewer ears, fewer headbands, fewer popcorn buckets, fewer bags in hands. These things may be hot on Facebook Group sales, but from guests actually visiting? I have my doubts. Everything is being sacrificed to buy Genie+ / ILL.

I don't see how it keeps up. Eventually, there are no more standby seats to sell. Which is why I find Len's recent implications that they are looking at DAS usage again to try and find more ride seats they can potentially sell, so interesting.
I gave up shopping at the park to buy food there. And now I'm slowly giving up buying food there just to afford the ticket to be there. This isn't going in the direction they would hope...

TinkerBelle8878

Wait, you can’t control the AC at WDW Disney resorts?
They have it locked at 72 degrees and you cannot change it. They also have these motion detectors so if you can manage to get it cooler, and go to sleep, and need or want to sleep in cooler or warmer than 72, you're out of luck. Had this problem at Contemporary last January. Even looked online to see how to disarm it, tried valiantly, yet still was stuck at 72 degrees...Disney will claim its to 'Go green' but for what the rate was on the room, I should be able to set the thermostat to the temp I want and not have to have a dance party every five minutes to keep it that way.

the_rich

They have it locked at 72 degrees and you cannot change it. They also have these motion detectors so if you can manage to get it cooler, and go to sleep, and need or want to sleep in cooler or warmer than 72, you're out of luck. Had this problem at Contemporary last January. Even looked online to see how to disarm it, tried valiantly, yet still was stuck at 72 degrees...Disney will claim its to 'Go green' but for what the rate was on the room, I should be able to set the thermostat to the temp I want and not have to have a dance party every five minutes to keep it that way.
If u call the front desk they will send someone to lower it to 68..we also requested a fan and they brought up a big box fan that really helped.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
They were right at the time. Last 25 years of USA/Canada population growth has occurred since those studies. International tourist growth to USA at unimaginable numbers (compared to then)

We’re at the juncture where a new NA park drawing off attendance from the other two resorts is kinda the point. 😅
Isn’t that what Universal is doing with their regional parks and attractions planned for various locations in the US?

mickEblu

That’s ridiculous

fgmnt

And most of this is effectively inaccessible to guests who don't pay up for Genie+ / ILL. How satisfying is one of these attractions if your posted 60 minute wait turned into a 130 minute wait because something happened, and the ILL lane got backed up so they had no choice but hold standby? It's happened to us too much that we don't even attempt to ride Rise or Remy. Anything new they add, they immediately sell to the same 10K-20K people per park, who are willing to pay for ILL / Genie+. And no amount of money a person can spend in a store, restaurant, experience, resort can make up for the fact that these people will be prioritized on attractions, because they put $10-$30 in the right bucket, at the right time. That's what they are training guests to do. Forgo the $300 you might spend on pins (like I do, even though at this point its stupid). It won't help you... just spend a fraction on line skips. You will have a *much* better experience.

I theorized when FP+ came online that the parks would become hamstrung by the lowest capacity of the most in-demand rides. It's the limiting factor. Frozen is like 1000 guests per hour, 12 hr day... 12,000 people in a park that holds 40k or more. For most of the people in Epcot, it might as well not even exist as an option. Break down that further into people who paid for Genie+, people who use a DAS or another legitimate reason to use the LL. How many "regular" people are even riding?

This is why my favorite thing is the Skyliner. If you aren't using it at opening / closing, anyone can show up at anytime and actually get to experience it.
Skyliner Lightning Lane over/under by 2030

CJR

Just my two cents, but if Disney ever builds a third Disneyland in the US, they should consider the Houston area. It's a major city with no major theme parks in it, thanks to Six Flags. It's a bit close to WDW, but far enough to stand on its own, I think, and with two major airports. Only downside really is that it's probably more humid than WDW.

CJR

I don’t think it’s even just Disney but many of the “fans” too. They expect everything to be this huge new e ticket style ride/attraction. Not everything needs to or should be that.

To be fair to the fans, Disney hypes them all like E-Tickets. Heck, look at Moana. I cannot tell you how many people have come to me and asked me about the new Moana ride at EPCOT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom