Rumors. Musings. Casual.

bmr1591

granted this was in the 90s but we use to pay around $124 for the lodge.

It's one of my many struggles with DVC. I'm sure in the 90s paying as much as it was felt just as silly because "the prices are $124 a night, so it'll take forever to justify paying $10,000", but nowadays, even with deluxe resort prices, I can't get over the fact that we've reached an inflection point. People aren't going to keep paying such ridiculous numbers to stay in a hotel. Obviously, people in different tax brackets than me may not find issue with it, but at one point they're going to run out of people willing to buy DVC (it seems they already are) and they're going to have to make actual pricing model changes. Part of me really hopes a recession hits this year.

Ayla

Between hitting 50 and living through Covid, I’m constantly shocked at the cost of everything these days. We are paying more to stay at Pop in September than we did at WL for the same length of stay in 2014. Park tickets for the three of us are nuts.
Edit: I’m not saying Pop now costs more than WL did then. Total cost of trip vs. total cost in 2014.
For fun, I priced out a vacation this summer for a milestone birthday. It was within a couple hundred dollars of the European vacation we ultimately ended up booking (including everything ~ airfare, food, transportation, etc).

MaximumEd

For fun, I priced out a vacation this summer for a milestone birthday. It was within a couple hundred dollars of the European vacation we ultimately ended up booking (including everything ~ airfare, food, transportation, etc).
Don’t blame you. This will be our first trip since 2020. We used to go twice per year. After this trip, Tokyo is getting my money the next time we get the Disney itch.

Brer Panther

There's no way that anyone could possibly say that the current crop of ads, where a garrison of Stormtroopers exits an elevator, mermaids swim in the Grand Floridian pool, and Hei Hei falls into the lake, can carry the jockstrap with a forklift of an ad showing a baby walking for the first time to Mickey Mouse.
I agree with you that the 1996 ad is precious, but I do like this ad from the 2010s... mainly because of Mike and Sulley's appearance. I do love Monsters Inc.

I also agree with you that Bob Iger has sucked all the fun and whimsy out of the company.

Sectorkeeper71

The goal wasn’t to beat you over the head at every register…

It was to keep you coming, happy and spending on the high profit store. The Christmas store on a busy day generated more profit than a park gate
On the one hand, I get the idea of “if we can get away with charging it, do it.”

On the other, going up the rate it has in 20 years is peak absurdity

BrianLo

but at one point they're going to run out of people willing to buy DVC (it seems they already are)

DVC sold the most number of points last year than it has since 2011. (Discluding Aulani from all years).

The issue is as resort rates rise, it continues to justify DVC, which is a half hedge on prices never being lower than they are currently. Which has consistently been true for 20 years. The real risk to DVC is if it’s locked in at a peak and the resort cash prices start declining. Which they certainly could, I have no crystal ball.

50E936A4-8FDB-448A-8FD4-3DE8936E4787.jpeg

TheIceBaron

$240-300 is still what, $500 dollars cheaper to what it is that time of year now, right? Absolutely preposterous what they charge

I think the Swan and Dolphin are a good somewhat deluxe option today as the rates are usually only like $250 per night but still offer lots of accommodations you would expect at a deluxe resort. It’s technically not Disney but I think it’s a better experience and value than staying at the Disney branded “value resorts” that are in the similar price range. If you are on the prowl sometimes you can get animal kingdom lodge for under $400 per night which is my next go to.

Sectorkeeper71

I think the Swan and Dolphin are a good somewhat deluxe option today as the rates are usually only like $250 per night but still offer lots of accommodations you would expect at a deluxe resort. It’s technically not Disney but I think it’s a better experience and value than staying at the Disney branded “value resorts” that are in the similar price range. If you are on the prowl sometimes you can get animal kingdom lodge for under $400 per night which is my next go to.
You can’t beat the swan and dolphin location if you’re able to get that price. Especially when you compare what boardwalk and yacht/beach next door are going for

Virtual Toad

Rack rate was higher from what I found in a 2005 Birnbaums. $240-300/night for "regular" season, but rack rates as low as $199/night for value.
Back in the day it was fairly common to score 40% off rack rate, especially for APs, Florida residents and through bounceback offers. Rack rate on our honeymoon at the WL in October 1996 was around $220/night, but discounted rooms at about $89-99 per night at Port Orleans and Caribbean Beach, and $149 at WL/AKL were attainable not too long ago historically speaking. I even recall a $99 rate at the Cabins and booked Pop Century for $49/nt for a business trip post-2000. We were frequent/repeat customers in large part because of that 40% off. My how times have changed.

Laketravis

Rack rate was higher from what I found in a 2005 Birnbaums. $240-300/night for "regular" season, but rack rates as low as $199/night for value.

A benchmark for me is when three of us stayed at the Contemporary (main tower water view) the week after Thanksgiving 2010 with 7 day park tickets and "free" dining. $3800 for 7 nights. Total.

I just priced out the same package for the same time this year. Of course there are fewer "benefits" today than in 2010:
1708388649664.png

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I think the Swan and Dolphin are a good somewhat deluxe option today as the rates are usually only like $250 per night but still offer lots of accommodations you would expect at a deluxe resort. It’s technically not Disney but I think it’s a better experience and value than staying at the Disney branded “value resorts” that are in the similar price range.
I’m not seeing any dates where swan or dolphin are near that price. I’m seeing like $440 plus all the fees.

I am seeing $247 at Coronado Springs though… that would be my choice!

JoeCamel

Back in the day it was fairly common to score 40% off rack rate, especially for APs, Florida residents and through bounceback offers. Rack rate on our honeymoon at the WL in October 1996 was around $220/night, but discounted rooms at about $89-99 per night at Port Orleans and Caribbean Beach, and $149 at WL/AKL were attainable not too long ago historically speaking. I even recall a $99 rate at the Cabins and booked Pop Century for $49/nt for a business trip post-2000. We were frequent/repeat customers in large part because of that 40% off. My how times have changed.
I checked their current offer to FL APs and it is 40% off rack

bmr1591

DVC sold the most number of points last year than it has since 2011. (Discluding Aulani from all years).

The issue is as resort rates rise, it continues to justify DVC, which is a half hedge on prices never being lower than they are currently. Which has consistently been true for 20 years. The real risk to DVC is if it’s locked in at a peak and the resort cash prices start declining. Which they certainly could, I have no crystal ball.

View attachment 769374

At current prices, it would take almost 20 years to break even.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom