Rumors. Musings. Casual.

yensidtlaw1969

It does help give you a sense of value for Disney parks. $25 just to do the flyover at navy pier.
I remember talking to an Anaheim native once about price increases - they were lamenting how expensive the parks have gotten, and their mind was blown when I told them that a ticket to a Broadway Show can easily cost as much as a full day in the parks, and all you get are the 1.5-3 hours of show. Then there's transportation/parking, dinner and/or drinks, maybe snacks at the theater . . . all of which are similarly premium-priced.

Not that any of that justifies how steeply park pass prices have increased in the last 15 years. Especially while services and show quality have dropped.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's not even that (but I do love the castle cake, it was fun and whimsical, two things the Bob era has completely drained from the company). There's no way that anyone could possibly say that the current crop of ads, where a garrison of Stormtroopers exits an elevator, mermaids swim in the Grand Floridian pool, and Hei Hei falls into the lake, can carry the jockstrap with a forklift of an ad showing a baby walking for the first time to Mickey Mouse. Greatest. Advertisement. Ever. It's not even up for debate.

In fact... just because:

There is heart and soul and emotion in those 25th anniversary ads. And a damn good song to boot.

97-00 was the zenith of wdw

…I’ll go to the wall in that belief

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I remember talking to an Anaheim native once about price increases - they were lamenting how expensive the parks have gotten, and their mind was blown when I told them that a ticket to a Broadway Show can easily cost as much as a full day in the parks, and all you get are the 1.5-3 hours of show. Then there's transportation/parking, dinner and/or drinks, maybe snacks at the theater . . . all of which are similarly premium-priced.

Not that any of that justifies how steeply park pass prices have increased in the last 15 years. Especially while services and show quality have dropped.

But a loaf of bread use to cost a nickle!!

JD80

I had this conversation with someone recently as well. I believe that most people still think in terms of pre-COVID costs for everything: Food, Travel, Entertainment (movies games etc. We are now in a world with inflation and corporate greed have greatly inflated to costs of everything and everyone is constantly shocked at the cost of things.

Inflation is around 3 now so we're about a point or two above the "good times" pre-COVID (1-2%) so it'll take a few years at this level just to get used to a Burger King combo meal being $15.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hard to argue with that. 92-94 was peak EPCOT Center. 97-2000 was arguably peak MK and MGM, plus you had AK just starting out. Sadly you had Ellen in there plus the original JII was gutted by then, but at least Horizons was still operating until early 1999.
That was just when you had the largest compound with the highest quality standards and value for the dollar. Just my opinion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I had this conversation with someone recently as well. I believe that most people still think in terms of pre-COVID costs for everything: Food, Travel, Entertainment (movies games etc. We are now in a world with inflation and corporate greed have greatly inflated to costs of everything and everyone is constantly shocked at the cost of things.

Inflation is around 3 now so we're about a point or two above the "good times" pre-COVID (1-2%) so it'll take a few years at this level just to get used to a Burger King combo meal being $15.

Fair…

I think there’s actually some better values at Disney parks now than on the street…because they’ve hit a pricing wall…

It’s just that there is zero reinvestment and that causes more park and resort rot by the day

MaximumEd

Between hitting 50 and living through Covid, I’m constantly shocked at the cost of everything these days. We are paying more to stay at Pop in September than we did at WL for the same length of stay in 2014. Park tickets for the three of us are nuts.
Edit: I’m not saying Pop now costs more than WL did then. Total cost of trip vs. total cost in 2014.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Between hitting 50 and living through Covid, I’m constantly shocked at the cost of everything these days. We are paying more to stay at Pop in September than we did at WL for the same length of stay in 2014. Park tickets for the three of us are nuts.
Edit: I’m not saying Pop now costs more than WL did then. Total cost of trip vs. total cost in 2014.
The cost difference isn’t that much. Wilderness starting rate was $109 in 2004…they jacked it into oblivion and then had to convert half to dvc.

Pop for $225+ a night is bugnuts

Sectorkeeper71

The cost difference isn’t that much. Wilderness starting rate was $109 in 2004…they jacked it into oblivion and then had to convert half to dvc.

Pop for $225+ a night is bugnuts
I truly can’t fathom a deluxe resort being that cheap 20 years ago. Even if you account for inflation in 20 years we’re still only talking about it being $181.50 in todays dollar

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I truly can’t fathom a deluxe resort being that cheap 20 years ago. Even if you account for inflation in 20 years we’re still only talking about it being $181.50 in todays dollar
The goal wasn’t to beat you over the head at every register…

It was to keep you coming, happy and spending on the high profit store. The Christmas store on a busy day generated more profit than a park gate

Andrew25

Fair…

I think there’s actually some better values at Disney parks now than on the street…because they’ve hit a pricing wall…

People call me crazy when I say I eat dinner at WDW more often than I should, instead of driving somewhere local, because its cheaper and better service.

But yes, we have hit a price ceiling in Orlando (been saying that for years now - parks got greedy in 2022 and are now filling up rooms/parks with heavy FL resident discounts).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom