Rumor!!!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I don't think this rumor will come to pass, but I hope so. The hat, while it isn't ugly or garish on its own, really doesn't fit, IMHO where it is. Next time you're on ToT or the upper deck of LMA, look towards the hat...it looks way out of place. Right in the middle of old time Hollywood is this bright animation-looking tall pointy thing. It's just never worked for me.

I think the hat would be great in the entrance plaza of DHS, or, better yet, at the TTC.

RedGear

every time i walk under the hat I think it's going to colapse on my head, so i avoid going anywhere near it.
Lets burn it down. . . o wait did I say that? :ROFLOL:

WDWFigment

Partially true. The Great Movie Ride has never been the symbol of Disney-MGM/Disney's Hollywood Studios--it was the Earful Tower. However, the Tower was not visible in 80-90% of the park's guest areas, thus, many guests considered GMR to the park's centerpiece and icon. When ownership of the Chinese Theater changed hands, the new owners felt that the GMR's status as a pseudo-icon warrented much higher licensing fees than Disney was willing to pay. Thus, the Hat--a definitive, visible park icon (that just happened to be directly in front of the GMR :drevil: ) was born.

Regarding Hat vs. No Hat, I don't necessarily hate the Hat in the same way that I loathed the Epcot wand. Given the choice between Hat and No Hat, there's no question: No Hat. However, I guess I can live with it.

I feel about the same way. Although I'd add that I don't care enough to want to see Disney spend the money it would cost to remove it. No matter how little that would be, I'd rather see it spent elsewhere.

henryt93

If I'm not mistaken, Disney has never had any legal obligation to pay royalties on the Chinese Theater. It is called the Disney Chinese Theater, not Grauman's Chinese Theater and because of that, there are no royalties to be paid. Unless I'm missing something, you can't have legal ownership of a building style.

Well, you can have a copywrite/patent on a building design, just ask Mcdonalds, White castle, or many other food chains that patent building designs. thats just the obvious ones. I have no clue if this building had a patent on the design , or not.
The Sorcer's Hat has alot more Disney historical signifigance than the theatre does. I like the hat, It is a good symbol for the park.

CMTinkerbell99

This is completely a rumor, but a good one. My bro is currently a cp at DHS and had heard his managers discussing that Disney may attempt to buy the rights to the real Grauman's Chinese Theater, so that they may take down the Sorcerers Hat to get GMR into view again. What do you think? I have a feeling that it may never happen, but you never know.

I doubt they will do that since Disney already owns the movie theater across the street from Graunman's theater. It is the El Capitan http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/el_capitan/ Next to it is the Disney Soda Fountain. Its really a neat place!

djkidkaz

I think most people like the hat, rather its the placement of the hat thats a problem. I think if the hat had been placed out front before you come through the entrance gates, it would be more likable.

Why would they take the thing down? It is the icon of the park now. If they did that they would have to once agian change a bunch of the DHS maps and signs and stuff. Agian! I for one like the Hat. I know that it doesnt really fit the theme of the area but neither does the Rockin' Roller Coaster.

mikeb1967

re-face the theater

I say re-face and re-rurb the theater and turn the hat into a permanent show-focused stage, just like the front of the castle. It's not a bad icon, DHS is a more casual and whimsical park, so the hat works there, unlike the wand on our sacred SSE. MikeB

sanctumsolitude

Well, you can have a copywrite/patent on a building design, just ask Mcdonalds, White castle, or many other food chains that patent building designs. thats just the obvious ones. I have no clue if this building had a patent on the design , or not.

Architectural copyrights were not introduced until 1990. The theatre was built long before then, therefore, it is not copyrighted. No patent, trademark, or copyright protects the design of the chinese theatre. The name is trademarked however.

vwsub

I thought I would put in my thoughts about this. First of all I'm a fan of the hat and have always considered the hat the icon of DHS. But alas I will say that there may be truth to this rumor because when I was there in December I took the Fantasy Yuletide tour my tourguide told us all that the hat would defiantly be coming down this year. I don't think the Disney Institute would lie to me. . .

Rob562

I thought I would put in my thoughts about this. First of all I'm a fan of the hat and have always considered the hat the icon of DHS. But alas I will say that there may be truth to this rumor because when I was there in December I took the Fantasy Yuletide tour my tourguide told us all that the hat would defiantly be coming down this year. I don't think the Disney Institute would lie to me. . .

Kind of like how my KTTK tour guide told us with conviction back in 98/99 that within the next few months Jungle Cruise was going to be closed and have a George of the Jungle overlay added to it?

Now while I hated the wand and I dislike the hat, I'll take the same outlook on this rumor as I did with the wand's removal: I'll believe it when I see it. (Or rather, don't see it ;) )

-Rob
(Who is firmly in the camp of "Would have really liked the hat......if it were somewhere else in the park...")

JLW11Hi

"You're hat is stupid!"

"My hat...is...AWESOME!"

adventure time, anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNVYWJOEy9A

I wish there was more to the hat. It could be an ok icon if there was more under it than a gift shop, or if it was the entrance to the Great Movie Ride. I doubt it is going anywhere anytime soon, though.

(But if they DID think about removing it, I think they should completely overhaul the facade of the Great Movie Ride, and turn it into the El Capitan, or a completely original theater design, and have that be the icon of the park. I just think it looks odd to have this interesting structure so obviously hidden behind something else.)

I wouldn't mind if they just simply moved the hat....over by the animation studio or something. I seem to remember part of the issue with the theater is the pictures they take and sell.

XS-Spence

I know for sure that Photopass is not allowed to take pictures of the Chinese theatre in any way, so there has to be SOME legality involved. I could do without the hat. As far as icons go, it seems a little garish and out of place...

Let's Review...

Magic Kingdom:
Theme - Land of yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.
Icon - Fairy Tale Castle.

EPCOT:
Theme - Perpetual World's Fair, Showcase of the World.
Icon - Geosphere reminiscent of World's Fair Icons.

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Theme - Animals from the Real, Extinct, and Fantasy worlds.
Icon - Tree carved with the images of over 200 animals on it.

Disney's Hollywood Studios
Theme - Excitement of the Golden Age of Hollywood, blended with the Hollywood of today
Icon - Giant Sorcerer Mickey Hat.

Which one of these seems slightly out of place to you?

(or is it just me?)

dbogue

I personally don't believe it but managers don't know all that much depending on who you talk to, but what is your bros role? I'm a cp at the studios too!

Ilovewishes

I like the hat! I prefer the hat to the crummy old theatre! The theatre would be a rubbish focal point, it just doesn't stand out enough! The hat is all about Mickey and it's about time one of the Park Icons was!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom