Rumor!!!

RiversideBunny

I actually think that the hat would look better if they relocated it to the outside entrance of DHS, on the right as you approach the park.
It would be more of an icon there.
It's a good hat; it's just not in the correct place.

Then, also, the view of the theatre would be onobstructed as it originally was.

:)

EPCOT Explorer

Just a thought on that original quote, have we really caused it to be that. Youtube Facebook ect. just a thought...

It was a joke...;)

I know for sure that Photopass is not allowed to take pictures of the Chinese theatre in any way, so there has to be SOME legality involved. I could do without the hat. As far as icons go, it seems a little garish and out of place...

Let's Review...

Magic Kingdom:
Theme - Land of yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.
Icon - Fairy Tale Castle.

EPCOT:
Theme - Perpetual World's Fair, Showcase of the World.
Icon - Geosphere reminiscent of World's Fair Icons.

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Theme - Animals from the Real, Extinct, and Fantasy worlds.
Icon - Tree carved with the images of over 200 animals on it.

Disney's Hollywood Studios
Theme - Excitement of the Golden Age of Hollywood, blended with the Hollywood of today
Icon - Giant Sorcerer Mickey Hat.

Which one of these seems slightly out of place to you?

(or is it just me?)
I've always thought the same thing...And why in the early part of the decade did huge Sorcerer Mickey Body parts become so popular?

Wand-1999/2000
Hat-2001
:confused:

bgraham34

I like the hat but I would prefer shots of the Theatre in the back for me. It just fits in line with shots oh Hollywood Blvd.

Uncle Billy

This doesn't make sense. Copyright protection does not attach to buildings built during that era. That structure is in the public domain. It always will be. No rights required. If it copyright did attach (like it does to buildings built after 1989), Disney would not have been able to build the structure at all and putting another building in front would have no legal weight. Tell your brother he doesn't know what he's talking about.

PrincessMiko

I am neither a hat hater or lover. Just simply dissapointed that all it has in it is a gift shop. I think it is fine where it is, they just need to do something "better" with it.

RSoxNo1

I have no problem with the existance of the hat. I have no problem with the hat being the symbol for DHS. I do have a problem with the placement of the hat. I understand that there are legal issues surrounding the hat's placement, but I agree with the perspective that many people share, that we should be able to see the Chinese Theater as we walk down the street.

To me, the problem with MGM/DHS has always been that it never really had an identifying symbol that felt "right". I think the Hat is a better symbol than the Chinese Theater or the Water Tower, but much like DCA, there's no real link because the centerpiece wasn't incorporated at the park's opening.

Foolish1

"You're hat is stupid!"

"My hat...is...AWESOME!"

adventure time, anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNVYWJOEy9A

I wish there was more to the hat. It could be an ok icon if there was more under it than a gift shop, or if it was the entrance to the Great Movie Ride. I doubt it is going anywhere anytime soon, though.

(But if they DID think about removing it, I think they should completely overhaul the facade of the Great Movie Ride, and turn it into the El Capitan, or a completely original theater design, and have that be the icon of the park. I just think it looks odd to have this interesting structure so obviously hidden behind something else.)

Shhhh!! don't say that! You are giving them ideas. And not good ones!

:rolleyes:

Skippy_

I just want the hat moved, not destroyed, as it ruined Hollywood Blvd. I refuse to buy any MGM merchandise that has the hat on it or the new name DHS on it!

If taking down the hat means the Wizard of Oz scene in GMR will be replaced with a touch screen (just like the end of SSE was replaced with a touch screen after the wand came down), than I can live with the hat. Me and the wand could've become real chums if only I could've kept the old SSE.

Didn't anyone get the memo, when people think Hollywood they think giant hat with pins under them, not iconic movie theaters showing AA classic Hollywood movies in them?

comics101

To me, the problem with MGM/DHS has always been that it never really had an identifying symbol that felt "right". I think the Hat is a better symbol than the Chinese Theater or the Water Tower, but much like DCA, there's no real link because the centerpiece wasn't incorporated at the park's opening.

I always thought the Water Tower was the best icon, bc it not only related to Hollywood, but also to Walt. I don't think the theatre works as an icon either, just because it's not "Disney" enough. I don't get the hat, but whatever. Maybe they put it there because of Fantasmic?:shrug: Idk. I don't understand how you can have an icon outside of the park, that just doesn't make sence. Maybe they could move the water tower closer to the front/middle of the park, so it's visible no matter where you are like in DL Paris...

EarffelTower001.jpg

Or they could add the hat to the Animation building, also like in DLP...

DisneyAnimation002.jpg

I don't really care for the hat, and agree it messes up the theme, but due to the parks layout, I would think it's kind of hard to have a "Disneyfied" icon in the center of this park w/out messing up theme...

(pics from http://www.mouse-studios.com/WDS/index.html)

cymbaldiva

Great rumor ... now if I just keep wishing hard enough maybe it will come true! :)

<hey, it worked with that ugly wand - I'm hoping the magic will strike twice! :sohappy:>

I know for sure that Photopass is not allowed to take pictures of the Chinese theatre in any way, so there has to be SOME legality involved. I could do without the hat. As far as icons go, it seems a little garish and out of place...

Let's Review...

Magic Kingdom:
Theme - Land of yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.
Icon - Fairy Tale Castle.

EPCOT:
Theme - Perpetual World's Fair, Showcase of the World.
Icon - Geosphere reminiscent of World's Fair Icons.

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Theme - Animals from the Real, Extinct, and Fantasy worlds.
Icon - Tree carved with the images of over 200 animals on it.

Disney's Hollywood Studios
Theme - Excitement of the Golden Age of Hollywood, blended with the Hollywood of today
Icon - Giant Sorcerer Mickey Hat.

Which one of these seems slightly out of place to you?

Yes, Only the Castle and the Hat are from actuall Disney Classics, the Tree of Life, and SSE are definately out of theme with the other two.:)

And what again, beside 1/2 the great movie ride and a few cars is reminicent of the "Golden Age" of Movies? Oh yeah the Sorcer's Hat from one of the most important films Disney himself overlooked from that Golden Age.

comics101

Yes, Only the Castle and the Hat are from actuall Disney Classics, the Tree of Life, and SSE are definately out of theme with the other two.

And what again, beside 1/2 the great movie ride and a few cars is reminicent of the "Golden Age" of Movies? Oh yeah the Sorcer's Hat from one of the most important films Disney himself overlooked from that Golden Age.

Fantasia, however important it may be, has to be one of the most boring films I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever met anyone who's enjoyed it enough to watch it over and over again. The only good parts are the Sorcerer's Apprentice and Bald Mountain. Other than that, :snore:.

I'd bet money the hat's there bc of Fantasmic, not Fantasia. Either way it still has nothing much to do with Hollywood.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom