Rumor!!!

Fun2BFree

My understanding is that the symbol of DCA is that metallic sun thing that's being removed in the makeover.

DCA logo:
DCA-LOGO.JPG

Symbol doesn't equal anything at the entrance of the park. Grizzly Peak has always been the symbol of DCA, though the coming-soon Carthay Circle theater looks to usurp this in 2010 or so.

darthjohnny

My understanding is that the symbol of DCA is that metallic sun thing that's being removed in the makeover.

Oh. I see what you mean.

The Sun in the Sunshine Plaza was used in some logos, like on T-shirts, and even pins (much like how the Chinese Theater was used for the Studios), but Grizzly Peak was always the official logo of the park.

Magicot

Idk. I don't understand how you can have an icon outside of the park, that just doesn't make sence.
I dunno, both icons for Univeral Studios Orlando and Islands of Adventure are on the outside of their park entrances. And I hate to admit it, but both icons just seem to work well in their locations. No?

comics101

I dunno, both icons for Univeral Studios Orlando and Islands of Adventure are on the outside of their park entrances. And I hate to admit it, but both icons just seem to work well in their locations. No?

That's true, I forgot about that. It's been about 3 years since we've been to Uni. I guess it would work, but I just can't imagine a giant hat outside the gates. It's just not Disney-like...

Theresonly1

Partially true. The Great Movie Ride has never been the symbol of Disney-MGM/Disney's Hollywood Studios--it was the Earful Tower. However, the Tower was not visible in 80-90% of the park's guest areas, thus, many guests considered GMR to the park's centerpiece and icon. When ownership of the Chinese Theater changed hands, the new owners felt that the GMR's status as a pseudo-icon warrented much higher licensing fees than Disney was willing to pay. Thus, the Hat--a definitive, visible park icon (that just happened to be directly in front of the GMR :drevil: ) was born.

Regarding Hat vs. No Hat, I don't necessarily hate the Hat in the same way that I loathed the Epcot wand. Given the choice between Hat and No Hat, there's no question: No Hat. However, I guess I can live with it.

I always wondered why put it directly in front of the theather, I guess now I know. Thank you

hpyhnt 1000

I find it unlikely that this will occur. Of course, I said the same about the wand, and look what happend there, so don't take this comment too seriously. :wink:

XS-Spence

Yes, Only the Castle and the Hat are from actuall Disney Classics, the Tree of Life, and SSE are definately out of theme with the other two.:)

And what again, beside 1/2 the great movie ride and a few cars is reminicent of the "Golden Age" of Movies? Oh yeah the Sorcer's Hat from one of the most important films Disney himself overlooked from that Golden Age.

Golden Age Representation:
  • Hollywood Blvd is a tribute to Hollywood of the 40's.
  • Sunset Blvd is a tribute to the Hollywood of the 40's
  • Echo Lake is a famous park in Hollywood, a hangout for the stars in the 40's.
  • Hollywood Tower Hotel itself was a "Beacon to the Showbiz elite" and "a star in it's own right" in 1939.
  • Streetmosphere Characters are 100% in character all the time, all stars and citizens of a fantasy Hollywood in the 40's.

I just got finished reading the Walt Disney biography by Neil Gabler. Fantasia was NOT overlooked by Walt himself. The public did not embrace it, and the cost of installing the equipment in theatres to show (and hear) it properly made exhibitors balk at it. The Studio loved it, The Press loved it, It helped carve out a new niche for Mickey when Donald had taken over his role as the star of the shorts.

The Walt Disney World Theme Parks exist on their own. They are not about the Disney Classic films. Out of the 40 odd attractions at Magic Kingdom, about half of those actually have ANYTHING to do with a Disney film (not including ones that have inspired films of their own, e.g. Pirates of the Caribbean), and thats the MOST of any of the 4 theme parks in Florida. Therefore an icon directly relating to a Disney classic film for all 4 parks does not make sense, given the one that represents them most is only representing them by half.

yoda_5729

I'd take down the hat in front of the Chinese theatre as it where it is makes no sense, and also makes it hard to take a picture of the theatre straight on.....BUT I would however move the hat to the area near Fantasmic, as Sorceror Mickey is in the show and they have a ton of room back there.

That's what I'd do anyways

Disneykidder

I have tons of pics of the good ole' days when the hat wasn't there. It was a nice shot. They used to have Disney photographers taking them there and they were great.

barkatozz

I like the hat.....you people are just a bunc of whiners who need something to complain about. If they took the hat down you'd find something else to ________ & moan about. :brick::rolleyes:

S.E.A.

I like the hat.....you people are just a bunc of whiners who need something to complain about. If they took the hat down you'd find something else to ________ & moan about. :brick::rolleyes:

oh boo hoo, i'm sorry you like something most of the rest of us don't. stop ****-ing and moaning about our b***ing and moaning.

now for my daily hat hate....

I remember when i was a kid and they were in the process of building the hat, I was very disappointed that they were going to cover up the pretty theater, but then the guide person said that it was temporary and only for the 100 years of magic celebration thing, 10 years later it's still there and it's still severely out of place.

i'll admit the hat in itself looks kinda cool but it really doesn't need to be right in front of the chinese theater, ruining the carefully planned visual harmony of hollywood blvd.

S.E.A.

I used to :eek: If I had it on DVD I still would.

same here, in parts though. Like i'd fast forward to the parts that I like and rewind em over and over again. to me it was merely a glorified package film. like 3 Caballeros or the Ichabod/Toad one except with flashier bridging sequences.

Fun2BFree

It's nice that you can complain and whine about us complaining and whining. :rolleyes:

(I'm just trying to make sure I don't complain and whine about you complaining and whining about us complaining and whining!) :lookaroun

RSoxNo1

DisneyDellsDude

I doubt they will do that since Disney already owns the movie theater across the street from Graunman's theater. It is the El Capitan http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/el_capitan/ Next to it is the Disney Soda Fountain. Its really a neat place!

I was just there a few days ago on my first trip to SoCal. I wish I would have gotten to go into the soda fountain.

And about the hat, too bad it's not in the animation courtyard.

WDW1974

OK, as a newbie here I don't want to be condescending. I hate when people come into someone's 'home' and start __________________ on the furniture so to speak.

But has anyone set this bad, bad, no truth to it rumor to rest? I haven't read thru all 79 posts yet.

There is no 'rights' issue with the Theater whatsoever. There was no reason why a giant hat/pin shack was placed in the center of the Studios other than Disney wanted to sell more merchandise and, at the time, there was serious thought of replacing the Great Movie Ride with a 2-minute thrill ride.

That's it.

There isn't a 'rights' issue.

Oh, and while I'm at it, I'd also like to set aside these never-will-die Disney geek/Internet/CM urban legends:

The dark spots in the Swan and Dolphin are not removable and space for a future monorail stations;

The turrets on Cindy's Bed and Breakfast and Salon are not removeable in hurricanes;

Disney has and never had any plans of building a fifth main gate themed to the Disney baddies;

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom