Rumor- Magicbands will be required for some character meet n greets

Bob Saget

The most likely reason for requiring a band is so they can read your name off your associated account so that the Next Gen characters can greet you by name.
This is very much like Universal's E.T. Adventure, where E.T. personally "thanks" each visitor at the end, using their name associated with their passport card.

Disney seems to be catching up!

ParentsOf4

Am I correct in thinking that the only difference between a MagicBand and a RFID enabled ticket/card, is the fact that a MagicBand has a larger range on it? (and people saying that they would get a RFID enabled card to prevent "easier tracking") (apart from the fact that one is a potentially annoying band, and one is a thin card, and you may get a RFID enabled ticket as standard, and would have to pay for a MagicBand)

So, this would allow the characters to know who you are without having to tap your card on a Mickey Head before you got to meet them.

But, why not just have a Mickey sensor in front of the door where the characters are, and then you can "use your magic door pass to be able to meet the characters"? Doing it this way would also help personalise/privatise the experience, as those in the queue behind you wouldn't be able to see your meet and greet.

So, are they trying to limit the experience unless you choose to "carry an item on your person" that would allow them to potentially see where you are easier than an RFID enabled ticket?
Yes, they could accomplish the same thing using, for example, a HF RFID tag and a "magical portal". Next time I'm shopping with my family at their favorite stores, I'll be sure to show them the "magical portals"!:D

The reason a MagicBand has a HF passive RFID tag, an UHF passive tag, and 2.4GHz transmitter is that each has different ranges and has been designed to interact with different NextGen elements. The RFID ticket media will have to be able to interact with the resort room doors, the theme park entrances, touch-to-pay locations, and FP+. This can be accomplished with a short-range HF tag. Beyond that, some UHF tags can be read at ranges of 100 feet and this range likely will increase as technology improves. It's enough makes you wonder what the transmitter in a MagicBand is for.;)

From a marketing perspective, Disney needs to start differentiating between "RFID card" and "MagicBand" experiences otherwise MagicBands will die a quick a painful death.

MagicBands are the physical embodiment of NextGen and it would be hugely embarrassing if MagicBands turned into the next John Carter.

In one form or another, MM+ will continue. The fate of MagicBands is less certain. Initial testing suggests an appreciable percentage don't like wearing them for personal reasons. Disney needs to do something to overcome that. Creating "MagicBand only" experiences will be essential for winning public support.

doctornick

Initial testing suggests an appreciable percentage don't like wearing them for personal reasons.

Is that true though? I mean, there's significant griping on message boards, but I don't think that's necessary representative of the public at large. I'm sure that there's some complaining about having to wear the bands, but, anecdotally, some short of wrist apparel has been used for years at vacation resorts (certainly basic paper ones, but I think plastic ones similar to these have been used at places like Great Wolf Lodge).

Just IMHO, but I think the bands will be the type of thing that people will use or at least reluctantly try despite objecting and will eventually just become an accepted part of a WDW vacation.

The Empress Lilly

The most likely reason for requiring a band is so they can read your name off your associated account so that the Next Gen characters can greet you by name. The experience would be more magical if Mickey knew your name without being told. He might even mention where you are from - "Thanks for coming all the way down from New York to see me!". He could also mention where you are staying or a ride or show you viewed earlier. Or even say that since you got to the park so early, it must be time to go home for a nap. I think it would be magical!

As much as people seem to dislike the idea of the bands, it will make existing experiences better and new experiences possible. There is not an evil reason behind everything.
Great first post on your seven year old account. :cool:

Tigger1988

Is that true though? I mean, there's significant griping on message boards, but I don't think that's necessary representative of the public at large. I'm sure that there's some complaining about having to wear the bands, but, anecdotally, some short of wrist apparel has been used for years at vacation resorts (certainly basic paper ones, but I think plastic ones similar to these have been used at places like Great Wolf Lodge).

Just IMHO, but I think the bands will be the type of thing that people will use or at least reluctantly try despite objecting and will eventually just become an accepted part of a WDW vacation.
Right. Where were the official testing results posted? I'd like to see them.

rct247

Some of the interactions planned are going to require either a MagicBand or RFID card.
2a3.jpg

^This. Already, there are a very large amount of park guests who are using ticket media that have the RFID in them. MyMagic+ will not require you to have a MagicBand. Guests will always have the choice to pick a regular RFID card-style ticket medium. Either way, there will be many things that will require something to this degree. If you stay at a Disney Resort you will be using one of the other. In order to experience the full Test Track queue, you will use one or the other. Fastpass will also be the same way. Naturally, there will be some other experiences, meet and greets, EMH, special event parties, interactive queues, etc, that will require this media. If you choose not to use it, then you will be the equivalent to the Amish rejecting electricity: It's possible, but it really might limit you.

PhotoDave219

^This. Already, there are a very large amount of park guests who are using ticket media that have the RFID in them. MyMagic+ will not require you to have a MagicBand. Guests will always have the choice to pick a regular RFID card-style ticket medium. Either way, there will be many things that will require something to this degree. If you stay at a Disney Resort you will be using one of the other. In order to experience the full Test Track queue, you will use one or the other. Fastpass will also be the same way. Naturally, there will be some other experiences, meet and greets, EMH, special event parties, interactive queues, etc, that will require this media. If you choose not to use it, then you will be the equivalent to the Amish rejecting electricity: It's possible, but it really might limit you.

I have no problem requiring MM+ to be part of the experience: I just want them to remember the passholders and to treat us as well as they want to treat the everyday guest. No problem with Mickey wanting to know my name. I have no problem with Disney using my in-park information to market to my tastes ("We've noticed youre having trouble getting a black-and-white milkshake").

I just want to be treated the same as that family of four from Missouri.

rct247

I have no problem requiring MM+ to be part of the experience: I just want them to remember the passholders and to treat us as well as they want to treat the everyday guest. No problem with Mickey wanting to know my name. I have no problem with Disney using my in-park information to market to my tastes ("We've noticed youre having trouble getting a black-and-white milkshake").

Passholders and even cast members will eventually get the RFID ticket media as well and will also have the option to plan or be somewhat spontaneous still.

prfctlyximprct

I personally think this is pretty neat! I believe the average wdw guest will not have analyzed the magic band as us here on the forum, and will have no idea about these personal interactions until they are experiencing them.

I think it's an awesome idea if the characters know your name before you get up to them. I really don't think it's creepy at all, it just adds to the magic.

articos

Yes, although some experiences - or "experiences" if you will - will require some planning ahead. But the goal is to not take all of the spontaneity out of the park experiences. We'll see how successful that turns out to be.

Passholders are scheduled to be one of the first to receive the bands in the coming months. I don't know how the Cast rollout will be done.

UberPlannerMom

I don't care if Mickey knows my name (or my kids' names for that matter) but if he is going to talk to us it would be great if something told him he had just seen us at lunch. My kids catch on to things that lead to questions like, "Mom, if Santa Claus knows if I have been bad or good then why do I have to tell him my name, more than that- Why did I have to tell him my name every year?" That never goes well for the families behind us in line!

ttalovebug

Then it's not really a choice now, isn't it? Or at least, a choice you get punished for.

ttalovebug

Yes, they could accomplish the same thing using, for example, a HF RFID tag and a "magical portal". Next time I'm shopping with my family at their favorite stores, I'll be sure to show them the "magical portals"!:D

The reason a MagicBand has a HF passive RFID tag, an UHF passive tag, and 2.4GHz transmitter is that each has different ranges and has been designed to interact with different NextGen elements. The RFID ticket media will have to be able to interact with the resort room doors, the theme park entrances, touch-to-pay locations, and FP+. This can be accomplished with a short-range HF tag. Beyond that, some UHF tags can be read at ranges of 100 feet and this range likely will increase as technology improves. It's enough makes you wonder what the transmitter in a MagicBand is for.;)

From a marketing perspective, Disney needs to start differentiating between "RFID card" and "MagicBand" experiences otherwise MagicBands will die a quick a painful death.

MagicBands are the physical embodiment of NextGen and it would be hugely embarrassing if MagicBands turned into the next John Carter.

In one form or another, MM+ will continue. The fate of MagicBands is less certain. Initial testing suggests an appreciable percentage don't like wearing them for personal reasons. Disney needs to do something to overcome that. Creating "MagicBand only" experiences will be essential for winning public support.

I expected this, and I imagine there's a number of reasons behind it. Some people just don't like things on their wrists, some don't want tan lines. My sister won't wear it because it's ugly- I kid you not. She'd attach it to her purse strap or belt before putting it on her wrist.

I think for some people, it's creepy. In reality, yes, we're all being tracked and followed like cattle by credit card companies and whatnot anyway. But to see a physical manifestation of it might creep people out. To look around and see everyone wearing the same high-tech bracelet will make my paranoid mother, for instance, feel like she's in a dystopian sci-fi movie. Is that ridiculous? Probably. But if it makes her feel ill at ease, it's going to affect the way she sees the business.

Runmyhorse

Im not trying to be rude or ugly, but did anyone else wondering how long this might take at the meet and greets.i mean the lines are alrdy so long and with about 5 to 10 pictures already being taken how much longer will the wait be to interact with the characters. I mean its a cool idea I just worry about wait times, but maybe thats the idea behind it. Maybe it will help with traffic control.

Tigger1988

From page one. Will someone answer this?

Am I missing something? I thought it was already established that Passholders would be getting a magic band?
"Guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels, and Annual Passholders will receive a band, as well as those guests who purchase a photography package. Guests who stay at non-Disney hotels will receive a ticket with features of touch to enter the park, touch to redeem FastPass+ and touch to pay. These guests can participate in My Disney Experience and purchase a MagicBand if they wish."​

WDWYankee15

Im not trying to be rude or ugly, but did anyone else wondering how long this might take at the meet and greets.i mean the lines are alrdy so long and with about 5 to 10 pictures already being taken how much longer will the wait be to interact with the characters. I mean its a cool idea I just worry about wait times, but maybe thats the idea behind it. Maybe it will help with traffic control.
This is why you are seeing more meet and greets being built like the Town Square Theater, Princess Fairytale Hall, etc... Multiple rooms to meet the characters in. ie... Multiple characters. More personalized "private" meetings in small rooms is what you (your kids) think you are getting, but really it is allowing more people to get a better, longer experience while keeping things moving.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom