Rumor- Magicbands will be required for some character meet n greets

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I don't care if Mickey knows my name (or my kids' names for that matter) but if he is going to talk to us it would be great if something told him he had just seen us at lunch. My kids catch on to things that lead to questions like, "Mom, if Santa Claus knows if I have been bad or good then why do I have to tell him my name, more than that- Why did I have to tell him my name every year?" That never goes well for the families behind us in line!
Your kids will probably be too old to want to visit Mickey by the time he uses their names. The princesses on the other hand will likely be a lot sooner. I don't have any concrete information but I'm thinking we'll see talking Mickey at town square theatre on a permanent basis first before he and other talking characters are rolled out in other locations. I haven't heard anything about him returning there anytime soon. I think it will be quite a few years before Mickey and the gang will be addressing us by name. Your kids may even be in college lol

DrewmanS

I would rather the characters know my name by becoming actual friends with them instead of a MagicBand. Like when Alice pointed out to me during the parade, I'd rather her know my name from visiting her earlier than because of a stupid MagicBand

Your over thinking this. It doesn't matter HOW a character knows your name, it's the fact that they DO know your name. Our last trip to MK I saw a "friend" of the talking trash an in Tomorrowland. I said my 7 year old son's name loud enough for the friend to hear. When the trash can started using my sons name, he couldn't believe it. Later he asked me how the trash can knew his name and I said he must have remembered you from two years ago.

Magic Bands will allow for the same type of interaction without it being obvious. No asking for names in advance or "tap your card here so Mickey will know your name". Children will put a magic band on at the start of their vacation because they are told its required. They won't know the band is interacting with rides and characters. Just as my son's didn't know how PAL Mickey knew we were near a certain ride.

DrewmanS

Then it's not really a choice now, isn't it? Or at least, a choice you get punished for.

Every choice you make in life comes with some "punishment". If you decided to ride Space Mountain, you might miss a parade. If you don't purchase a park hopper pass, you can only visit one park. If you stay off property, you don't get extra magic hours. If you choose not to wear a magic band, you can't experience some attractions that require them.

tissandtully

Every choice you make in life comes with some "punishment". If you decided to ride Space Mountain, you might miss a parade. If you don't purchase a park hopper pass, you can only visit one park. If you stay off property, you don't get extra magic hours. If you choose not to wear a magic band, you can't experience some attractions that require them.
I still don't understand the conspiracy theorists with the Magic Bands, you can opt out of which information to share. Take off the tinfoil hats, guys. You bought a Disney ticket already, I'm sure you were just as freaked out when biometric data was added to tickets, right?

Tim_4

Thats perfectly fine, BUT the mouse needs to make these magicbands available to the passholders. I'm beginning to feel like a third-class citizen in steerage here.

That's the plan. Eventually, EVERYONE will have a band, roughly in this order.

1. Select WDW resort guests
2. All WDW resort guests
3. DVC members and passholders
4. Day guests
5. Cast members

Regarding "missing the magic," when Iger said "optional," he was referring to the personal information you provide. Using the band as your room key and ticket media will be pretty much universal once fully implemented. Everyone will eventually have a band but you don't have to tell it your name is Joey and tomorrow is your birthday.

aladdin2007

That's the plan. Eventually, EVERYONE will have a band, roughly in this order.

1. Select WDW resort guests
2. All WDW resort guests
3. DVC members and passholders
4. Day guests
5. Cast members

Regarding "missing the magic," when Iger said "optional," he was referring to the personal information you provide. Using the band as your room key and ticket media will be pretty much universal once fully implemented. Everyone will eventually have a band but you don't have to tell it your name is Joey and tomorrow is your birthday.

So what if someone doesnt want one or doesnt want to wear one? They wont be allowed in eventually and will be turned away?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

I prefer my punishments to be optional, not simply because I wasn't interested in wearing some Disney costume jewelry.....

Tim_4

So what if someone doesnt want one or doesnt want to wear one? They wont be allowed in eventually and will be turned away?
I think you're misunderstanding. The band will BE the park ticket. The question you just asked would be the equivalent of asking "what if someone doesn't want a park ticket or doesn't feel like carrying one to the gate?" You can't enter the park without a ticket.

Yes, I'm sure there will be some kind of system for armless people or exceptionally large wrists that make the band impossible. If I don't answer every potential loophole I'm sure I'll be accused of not knowing anything.

SirLink

I think you're misunderstanding. The band will BE the park ticket. The question you just asked would be the equivalent of asking "what if someone doesn't want a park ticket or doesn't feel like carrying one to the gate?" You can't enter the park without a ticket.

Yes, I'm sure there will be some kind of system for armless people or exceptionally large wrists that make the band impossible. If I don't answer every potential loophole I'm sure I'll be accused of not knowing anything.

They will NOT replace regular/traditional ticket media(even if it is embedded with RFID) with MagicBands, it will be sold as an add-on nothing more...

Tim_4

They will NOT replace regular/traditional ticket media(even if it is embedded with RFID) with MagicBands, it will be sold as an add-on nothing more...
That's Phase I. I'm not going to argue. I remember why I stopped coming here. Everyone is an expert, especially those who aren't.

SirLink

That's Phase I. I'm not going to argue. I remember why I stopped coming here. Everyone is an expert, especially those who aren't.

I'm just repeating what Disney said 'guv, likewise we know what happens with Disney and Phase 2's? They never happen...

meyeet

how will fast passes work with the new magicbands? I'm sure we're not the only ones that run ahead with all the groups tickets to grab fast passes. Also, will kids under 3 get a magicband so that Mickey and friends know their name? The currently do get a KTTW card that doesn't work at the turnstiles or the fast pass machines. Will their magicband be the same thing? And do you really trust your young kids to wear the bands without loosing them or not even wanting to wear them? I can see that I'll be walking around with 5 bands on my wrist. Yea!??? :confused:

how will fast passes work with the new magicbands? I'm sure we're not the only ones that run ahead with all the groups tickets to grab fast passes. Also, will kids under 3 get a magicband so that Mickey and friends know their name? The currently do get a KTTW card that doesn't work at the turnstiles or the fast pass machines. Will their magicband be the same thing? And do you really trust your young kids to wear the bands without loosing them or not even wanting to wear them? I can see that I'll be walking around with 5 bands on my wrist. Yea!??? :confused:

You and me both! I will certainly end up wearing my three year old DS's band, because unless it is made of titanium and welded directly to his wrist, he WILL find a way to destroy/lose it.

I really don't think Magic Bands are a great idea for the preschool set. I know they are used at some resorts, (like GWL) but they are much smaller, and are geared towards older kids. WDW has a higher percentage of babies/toddlers/preschooler vacationers than just about any other place I've visited.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom